Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Boot Problems
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:43 pm 

I’ve been having boot problems for awhile. They will go away sometimes after a freash install of windows and a good cleaning of my case, but now it has become much worse. I cannot boot my PC at all now (I’d rather not do another freash install unless neccessary). I believe the problem is my power supply but I would rather get a second opinion before ordering one. I don’t believe it to be a heat releated issue because I’ve tried pointing a fan at the insides of my case while attempting to boot, still nothing. When I try to boot my hard drive fan (antec) shows the temperature and my cd/dvd drives start flashing, I can open and close them. Although my monitor stays at a black screen (once I got to bios but I couldn’t get to windows itself).

My powersupply came with my case and is not a name brand as Maximum Pc recommends so I am really suspicious of it. When I entered my bios (before my massive boot problems) I have noticed my 3.3v (for ram I believe) has been a “warning” red compared to the others. I think my PS has been having trouble with my ram perhaps. When it wont boot and I try again successfully booting, it will blame a cpu hang due to a problem in the “hardware monitor” and blames the 3.3v.

Before this I have always ran virus scans with Nortons 2004 every week or so and updated it daily. I have all the critical updates for XP. I also use Sygate's free firewall which has worked well for me so I don't believe it is anything malicious.

I’ve tried booting from a floppy as well as my windows cd, no luck.
I can’t imagine what else it could be besides my power supply unless my ram went bad or something. I’ve been looking at PcPowerAndCooling.com for a new PS. I don’t overclock so I’ll likely get the Ultra-Quiet ATX 410 for 85$ (not counting shipping to...alaska...). I play games alot and will likely grab another 512 of ram soon so I figure I should have a big enough powersupply to keep it all going. Am I correct in blaming my power supply or is it more likely my ram? Also would 410 be overkill for my system? Any advice would be much appriciated. Thanks in advance!

my specs and hardware are:

Intel 2.53 Ghz 533bus 478 pin
512 DDR Pc2700 (333) Crucial
Radeon 9500 Pro (latest drivers)
Asus P4PE/LAN-UAY 845PE Retail Motherboard (updated chipset)
330 Watt L&C Computer Co Powersupply Model: LC-B350ATX
Sound Blaster Audigy OEM (original drivers)
Lite-on CDRW
Lite-on DVD
Western Digital 80 GB HD w/ 8 MB Cache
19in Samsung monitor
2 rear outtake case fans (no intake atm)

I ordered all parts from newegg.com except for my locally bought case /w powersupply and monitor. I put it together myself a little over a year ago and it was my first experience building a computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:02 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

do a windows repair with the install disk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:02 pm 

I've tried the install disk, it isn't working. It's as if I have no cd even in either drive (tried both), but thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:14 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

try another power supply if you can. to me it could be the power supply since problems like that are cause by generic pos power supplies. i suggest just go to a local store and buy an antec power supply or something and test that on your computer. keep the receipt just in case the problem doesnt go away.

also try booting up with one stick of ram at time unless you only have one stick. good luck

Post subject: ALASKA?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:59 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

You don't happen to be in Anchorage do ya? If so I bet the guys over at CustomCPU would be able to fire you're box up with another PS. But that might not be the problem at all.

My first thought is a BIOS configuration error. Have you got Sisoftware Sandra?

http://www.sisoftware.net/?location=update

It can be useful.

Wolf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:21 am 

Wolf: nah I'm in Fairbanks. Our main computer store is 2 Geeks and they always try to rip me off when I go in there. Hell, when the blaster worm was going around they sold floppies with the (free) fix for 30 bucks! >.< (never got blaster anyway) Only reason I go in there now is to scope out things to buy elsewhere. The other stores seem to open and close at random lol.

I finally got it booted (I'm not sure how either, I just tinkered abit in my case but didn't really do anything) so I'll run Sandra and see what it comes up with.

keymaker: yeah I only have 1 stick of ram :( I'll be getting another 512 soon but until then I can't do much but hope it isn't the ram.

I will also be replacing this Power Supply asap. I'll try your suggestion and see what our local stores return policies are. Thanks guys.

In the meantime I'll be keeping my computer on standby. It works fine once it is booted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:17 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Tad smokey up your way! I have a friend who should be at high camp (17,000 feet) on Denali today. He called from 14,000 feet and told me he couldn't even see Foraker!

Wolf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:40 am 

Yeah the smoke has been terrible this week! It's clearing up now thankfully but it could come back since the fire isn't under control yet (getting there though). A few days ago stepping outside was like inhaling massive amounts of second hand smoke, or breathing into a bonfire...

Post subject: Re: Boot Problems
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:38 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

BobTheAngry wrote:
I’ve been having boot problems for awhile. They will go away sometimes after a freash install of windows and a good cleaning of my case, but now it has become much worse. I cannot boot my PC at all now (I’d rather not do another freash install unless neccessary). I believe the problem is my power supply but I would rather get a second opinion before ordering one. I don’t believe it to be a heat releated issue because I’ve tried pointing a fan at the insides of my case while attempting to boot, still nothing. When I try to boot my hard drive fan (antec) shows the temperature and my cd/dvd drives start flashing, I can open and close them. Although my monitor stays at a black screen (once I got to bios but I couldn’t get to windows itself).

My powersupply came with my case and is not a name brand as Maximum Pc recommends so I am really suspicious of it. When I entered my bios (before my massive boot problems) I have noticed my 3.3v (for ram I believe) has been a “warning” red compared to the others. I think my PS has been having trouble with my ram perhaps. When it wont boot and I try again successfully booting, it will blame a cpu hang due to a problem in the “hardware monitor” and blames the 3.3v.

Before this I have always ran virus scans with Nortons 2004 every week or so and updated it daily. I have all the critical updates for XP. I also use Sygate's free firewall which has worked well for me so I don't believe it is anything malicious.

I’ve tried booting from a floppy as well as my windows cd, no luck.
I can’t imagine what else it could be besides my power supply unless my ram went bad or something. I’ve been looking at PcPowerAndCooling.com for a new PS. I don’t overclock so I’ll likely get the Ultra-Quiet ATX 410 for 85$ (not counting shipping to...alaska...). I play games alot and will likely grab another 512 of ram soon so I figure I should have a big enough powersupply to keep it all going. Am I correct in blaming my power supply or is it more likely my ram? Also would 410 be overkill for my system? Any advice would be much appriciated. Thanks in advance!

my specs and hardware are:

Intel 2.53 Ghz 533bus 478 pin
512 DDR Pc2700 (333) Crucial
Radeon 9500 Pro (latest drivers)
Asus P4PE/LAN-UAY 845PE Retail Motherboard (updated chipset)
330 Watt L&C Computer Co Powersupply Model: LC-B350ATX
Sound Blaster Audigy OEM (original drivers)
Lite-on CDRW
Lite-on DVD
Western Digital 80 GB HD w/ 8 MB Cache
19in Samsung monitor
2 rear outtake case fans (no intake atm)

I ordered all parts from newegg.com except for my locally bought case /w powersupply and monitor. I put it together myself a little over a year ago and it was my first experience building a computer.

Go to a friends house with Internet access. Go on and find a free memory tester, there are lots, and a bootable diagnostic app. Any good one will make you create a bootable disk to run the applcation from and try those.

The idea of booting with 1 stick of ram is a good idea. As is the idea of testing another power supply. That seem like the culprit with this situation. If you want to eliminate other possibilites, try adding another fan to your computer. All of these possiblities could cause a reboot.