Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How do I......?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:49 am 

I built my own system, went the cheap route (McDonad's doesn't pay much) and I wanna know how to improve it.
Here's my system:
Biostar u8598 mobo
P4 2.53 @ 2.73
512 mb ddr 466 @ 333 (motherboard supports max 400mhz, had stability issues @ 400... what I get for buying the cheap stuff)
nVidia GeForce FX 5200 @ stock speed

I'd like to know what settings to change on my RAM to get it clocked back up and/or overclocked. I'd also like to know how overvoltaging works and how I should change my voltage as I overclock my processor. My video card doesn't have a fan on it, and I'm wondering how far I can overclock it without having to add extra cooling.
I'm asking not just for myself, but for everyone who wants to oc. Eventually (fingers crossed) we can hope MPC will write an in depth article on overclocking.. or make an entire issue about overclocking and explain everything in depth.
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:10 am 
Astro lube 2 the MAX!
Astro lube 2 the MAX!

Thumb of rule when you increase the voltage on certain devices, ie: CPU/MEM.

Make sure you got sufficient cooling. Increasing it, you know the risk involved. Obviously increasing voltage may increase the stability of the overclock. If necessary your not getting a stable speed on a overclock, move up the voltage till it is stable. Use common sense. Like your CPU is default to ie: 1.65, move it to 1.66, etc... Not like a huge leap like 1.65 to 1.71 or whatever.

As for your videocard, try get a fan for it if your going to overclock it. It is a lil more safer than without it.

I usually do this when I overclock for memory. Increase the FSB incremently to a highest speed to a stable state. After that, if I want to go further stable, increase the voltage a notch. Then increase till satisification.

Some memory can take the extra voltage. I know mine does fine at 2.8.