Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: thermal pad or Arctic Silver?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:47 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Compaq Presario 715US Laptop

We are fixing a laptop and need to replace the heat spreader w/fan,and according to the instructions it says that the heat spreader thermal pad should be replaced every time the processor is replaced, does anyone know if the thermal pad on a laptop is the same as using Arctic Silver? Since we are not replacing the processor we didn't want to spend the $99 for a thermal pad if the Arctic Silver will do the same job. The thermal pad sits on the underside of the heat spreader that rests on top of the processor.

This laptop was bought off of ebay. The friend over paid for a laptop in sorry shape. Had someone shipped me a laptop that shuts down, has a dead battery, bad plug connection, etc I would have sent it back. Laptop is for a 12 year old, and I'd like to get it running so that she can at least use it for a year. Don't want to put more than $100 into it. Heat spreader is $47, so we've got a few more $$ to play with, but not another $100.

If we do need to get the thermal pad, anyone have a link for one that is cheap?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:18 am 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

I tried using Artic Silver 3 on my laptop when it was first introduced 2 years ago. It lasted about 3 months of 24/7 use until the CPU started triggering the thermal overload protection circuit. So I went back to using a thermal pad because it worked without me having to change it every 3 months.

I don't know where to buy new ones, but I definitely could use a new one, this one is getting all ganked up.

I was thinking of looking into Artic Silver 5 because people having saying it's ten times better then Artic Silver 3, but I'll give it a try once I can track down a new thermal pad first in case I need to replace it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:30 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Thanks for replying. I'm not sure which Arctic Silver we have, it's only a few months old, so hopefully it's AS 5. Think we'll end up trying it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:42 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I could be wrong (as a newb and all), but I was always under the impression that if a proc/heatsink calls for a pad then it meant there was just enough extra space that paste will not make good enough contact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:43 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

King, the part hasn't come yet. I'll do some research on this & go to my local shop to ask his opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:50 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

i've used AS5 on a laptop and from what i know its done fine. it was for a client so i dont know exactally how it is but it hasnt been returned so its. i've never used AS3 but from word on the street AS5 kicks its ass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:54 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

gramaton cleric wrote:
i've used AS5 on a laptop and from what i know its done fine. it was for a client so i dont know exactally how it is but it hasnt been returned so its. i've never used AS3 but from word on the street AS5 kicks its ass.

Thank you! I just looked at my tube, it is Ceramique by Arctic Silver. Gonna try to get some AS5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:33 am 

Blondie wrote:
gramaton cleric wrote:

Thank you! I just looked at my tube, it is Ceramique by Arctic Silver. Gonna try to get some AS5.

You don't need to, Ceramique has better performance then AS5.

http://thecrucible.ca/reviews/thermal/index.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:09 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Cool! I'm gonna send the page to hubby, he's the one that does this end of it.

Thank you