All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Sony iPod killer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:02 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Sony unveils HDD Walkman
By Tony Smith
Published Thursday 1st July 2004 09:50 GMT
Reg Kit Watch Sony today announced yet another attempt to displace the iPod from the top of the digital music hardware charts.

But unlike the clunky-looking players launched in the Japanese market, the European model appears a serious challenger for Apple's market leadership.

The NW-HD1 is a "credit card-sized" 8.9 x 6.2 x 1.4cm unit fitted with a 20GB 1.8in hard drive. There's enough RAM on board to provide 25 minutes of skip-free playback. There's a seven-line LCD for track information and player status data

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07/01 ... d_walkman/

Post subject: Re: Sony iPod killer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:12 pm 
BANNED
BANNED

MoebiusStrip wrote:
Sony unveils HDD Walkman
By Tony Smith
Published Thursday 1st July 2004 09:50 GMT
Reg Kit Watch Sony today announced yet another attempt to displace the iPod from the top of the digital music hardware charts.

But unlike the clunky-looking players launched in the Japanese market, the European model appears a serious challenger for Apple's market leadership.

The NW-HD1 is a "credit card-sized" 8.9 x 6.2 x 1.4cm unit fitted with a 20GB 1.8in hard drive. There's enough RAM on board to provide 25 minutes of skip-free playback. There's a seven-line LCD for track information and player status data

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07/01 ... d_walkman/

WOW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:26 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Don't trust em. IMO, a player has to support MP3, and at least one better format, like OGG or AAC. Although, I would settle for one w/o MP3 support if it supported OGG, AAC, and WMA.

It isn't clear whether it will work with anything but Sony's software.

Quote:
Sony's kludgy MP3 support may hinder it, but if Apple can get away with what is effectively its own music format, so can Sony. ®

Clairification - Apple made AAC popular; it did not create it.

edit: I want a damn speil checkir!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:59 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Ogg is garbage but I like MPEG-4 AAC and M$ Media is very good too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:07 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

TheMocoMan wrote:

OGG is garbage? How would you know that you deaf monkey!

There is an audio forum with several developers for OGG and FAAC. One of them wrote up a pretty killer 'blind taste test' applet that let them compare several codecs (mp3, wma, ogg, aac, others(?) - iirc) over several different song samples. Of the 4 majors, the results were

1. AAC
2. OGG
3. WMA
4. MP3

The AAC guys had just implemented something that pushed it past OGG, which was previously the top dog. The OGG guys have probably incorporated those changes by now - and I am sure WMA is probably much improved too. I want the forum to support applets that way we can do something similiar in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:35 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

i hear you have to use thier stupid encoding only.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:53 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

i was stoked when i first saw that thing, but the lack of MP3 support and Sony's format only is a definite NO GO for me.

damn sony did they learn nothing from Betamax???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:29 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I refuse to re-encode my entire library to another format just to support some lame music player that won't be better than the iPod anyway. Have you guys seen the new Creative player that Amazon is pimping?

Amazon URLs are really long.

Zen Touch, it looks to me a bit like the Dell DJ thing...

edit: fixed dumb link

Last edited by deject on Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:31 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

deject wrote:
I refuse to re-encode my entire library to another format just to support some lame music player that won't be better than the iPod anyway. Have you guys seen the new Creative player that Amazon is pimping?

Zen Touch, it looks to me a bit like the Dell DJ thing...[/url]

You forgot the [url] in front of Dell DJ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:23 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Gadget wrote:
deject wrote:

Zen Touch, it looks to me a bit like the Dell DJ thing...[/url]

You forgot the [url] in front of Dell DJ.

that wasn't the problem, but something was wrong...

thanks for the heads up anyways!

Post subject: bottom line
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:59 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

bottom line of all this is apple still reigns supreme in MP3 players and i dont think i'd ever give up my iPod a different MP3(or any other format) player.

Post subject: Re: bottom line
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:03 pm 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

gramaton cleric wrote:
bottom line of all this is apple still reigns supreme in MP3 players and i dont think i'd ever give up my iPod a different MP3(or any other format) player.

Off Topic, but interesting choice in name :) We caught Equilibrium by chance one day and were pretty impressed. Very 1984 meets The Matrix.

Post subject: indeed
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:40 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

indeed equilibrium is a good movie, hence my name, and i think the cleric could shoot the crap outta neo any day. a little bit more off topic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:33 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I bought one of Sonys mini-disc players a few years ago and quickly found that I had to use their encoding and (at the time) their software that would only allow me to transfer a song three times. It really sucked....

So, if they plan on staying with this format, I will be avoiding them like the plague!

I am looking at this for a new player and the Ipod may just be what I am looking for! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:28 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

TheMocoMan wrote:
Ogg is garbage

Wrong.

TheMocoMan wrote:
I like MPEG-4 AAC

Me too, but my mp3 player doesn't :(

TheMocoMan wrote:
M$ Media is very good too.

No, WMA is very much garbage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:35 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

TheMocoMan wrote:

Ogg sucked.

MPEG2 and MPEG4 ACC were both superior to Dolby AC-3 but unfortunately the DVD consortium has their heads up their asses.

M$ Media can kiss my ass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:33 am 

Sony is once again shooting themselves in the foot, by offering good technology, and then making it proprietary to Sony. anyone remember Betamax?

I don't know about you, but I don't think I'd want to re-encode 2500+ songs into another format just to use the sony player. not only will it take forever, but there probably be a loss in quality going from one format to the other.

I looked at the creative players, the Dell DJ, and the new ipod. The creative players are very large compared to the dj and ipod, and I didn't particulary like the way the controls were laid out, but the "touch" version looks like it has a much better control/button layout. but its still quite a bit larger than the ipod.

The DJ looked to be a great bargain, and its just a little bigger than the ipod, and costs less. seemed easy enough to use, but many users were reporting hard drive failures and were having to get their units replaced under warranty.

I got a chance to use an ipod at one of the apple stores (just sorta wandered in there) and was really impressed with how it worked. That's what convinced me. You really need to just use some of these players to get a feel for them, and even though I've been 100% PC for many years, I have to admit, the ipod kicks butt.

I ended up getting the latest model, and have been very pleased with my purchase. Even iTunes impressed me with its ease of use, and I usually hate those kinds of apps. But there are 3rd party programs that you can DL that let you transfer files to/from the ipod without using iTunes, if you like a more streamlined interface.

After doing some research and trying some of these players myself, I can see why the iPod is regarded as the "best'. Hopefully some ot the other manufacturers will catch up. Dell is VERY close with the DJ, and I actually liked the design/looks better than the ipod (although its bigger) and the fact that it has a "home" button that takes you back to the root menu.

thats really the only thing that bugged me about the ipod. but being able to customize the root menu lets you put your favorite option right there instead of having to click through multiple menu layers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:07 pm 

This new player looks great... but no MP3 support? Looks aren't everything. In fact, since it's gonna be in your pocket all the time, do they really matter at all?

I used a sony mini disc player for about 8 months, and during that time it had to be sent back to futureshop twice for repair (for those of you in Canada, you know that getting warranty repairs from futureshop is a fate worse than death :shock: )

about 10 years ago sony used to be a high quality brand that really pushed the technology threshold on all fronts, be it television (I have an old rabbit ears tv from about 25 years ago that still works great) or audio, but it seems that lately they've been focusing more on design and profit margins.

this isn't all true of course, as this.. well.. I guess we cant really call it an MP3 player, proves. However, as other people like mike-y have said, the technology is there, but it has been squandered.

Apart from a few small problems (headphones sucking ass, easily scratchable backside) the iPod has so far been the best money Ive ever spent on a portable music player. The ability to take with you that much music all in one small package and be able to make it possible so easily is priceless to those who really appreciate music.

Sony is on the right track with their decrease in size of the player while keeping the same amount of storage space (sorry iPod mini but 4gigs just doesn't cut it anymore), but until the newest music toy is as enjoyable to use as the iPod, I see no need to change.

Sidenote: oh yeah.. and on top of being smaller, how about being a little more rugged? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:13 pm 

Thread Dredging = teh EV1L !!!