Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: nVidia card into P5WDG2-WS or P5WD2-E Premium ???
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:37 pm 

I'm from ati asus forum, we have been beating our brains that puting nVidia video card into Asus P5WDG2-WS or P5WD2-E Premium which are designed for Ati card, is OK without any Installation Problem?
Would the Asus board Registry or any other section be affacted ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:12 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

There should not and will not be any conflict between the board and a nVidia card. Crossfire will not work, however, but that's what you'd expect/know already.

For future reference, any PCIe x16 compatible motherboard will work with a PCIe x16 card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:33 am 

:roll: Thanks,Super Micky Mouse OCNoob.
Won't speed deteriates using nVidia, since P5WDG2-WS or P5WD2 ATI is designed for Performance in Quality where as nVidia is for Performance in Speed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:46 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

LOL...super micky mouse. That's funny right there.

I came in here to make a comment on this actually. I had intention to start a thread so others can look at it too...but this will work.

First, let me keep myself on topic and say an nVidia card works awesome in these boards, and pretty much better than any board besides Intel's own D975XBX.

Where you're "nuking" it is in the "P5WDG2-WS or P5WD2 ATI" thinking. It's not an ATI chipset and doesn't care who you use. It's an Intel chipset. It's not designed for ATI at all! It's only Crossfire ready because ATI didn't yank out special support. All a board really needs is two PCIe x16 slots and the chipset not specifically blocking out crossfire and it'll do it. Put an nVidia card in there, and it'll run at the upper pack of other boards (probably lead!). Now toss in an ATI and it'll do the same thing. Doesn't matter.

Here's the thing I wanted to bring up. I'm using the Beta 601 bios from Asus on the P5WD2-E and the 91.31 Forcewares from nVidia. W/ a single 7800GT, it's trying to do SLI and telling me to install another. I stuck in a 7900GT in the other slot and...it tried to enable SLI...on a Crossfire board!? I don't have the bridge for the cards, so the benches aren't really backing it up that it's really in SLI...but they ARE higher.

I've heard the rumors that these things will eventually be able to do SLI, as Intel has the tech just as nVidia does. They only had to get their own methods up so it can legally be Intel SLI instead of nVidia SLI. So...can anyone duplicate this? Think it's a sign that it's comming??? I know Asus worked VERY close with Intel as far as Chipsets and their abilities went.