Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: bad display problems
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:24 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:09 pm
Posts: 6
hi everyone,

well, today i started up my computer and for no apparent reason my display has shifted up about 2 inches and is tilted down to the right about 10 degrees. I tried to adjust the monitor with the buttons on the front pannel and it won't let me. i get an osd lock message each time i press a button. i looked up in the manual to see if there was a way to disable this, and following the instructions (hold [1] and hold up arrow for 10 seconds) doesn't do anything. I though this might be a video card problem, so i took a screenshot of my desktop, and it came out normal. i have a viewsonic g90f.

i appreciate any ideas you might have


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:36 pm 
Willamette
Willamette
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:34 pm
Posts: 1182
Location: So Cal
may be time for a new monitor

i had that problem too. i couldnt figure out how to fix it


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:55 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:09 pm
Posts: 6
i sure hope it's not time for a new monitor, barely had it a year heh 8)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:58 pm 
Willamette
Willamette
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:34 pm
Posts: 1182
Location: So Cal
-Snake- wrote:
i sure hope it's not time for a new monitor, barely had it a year heh 8)


it under warrenty then?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:10 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:09 pm
Posts: 6
yea, i got a 3 year warranty... might have to use it :?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:30 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:56 pm
Posts: 21
-Snake- wrote:
yea, i got a 3 year warranty... might have to use it :?


Any large magnets nearby? :)

Seriously, a speaker too close?

Just a shot, before you resort to the warranty.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: bad display problems
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:01 am 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 26, 2004 1:24 am
Posts: 6701
Location: M*A*S*H 4077, Korea
-Snake- wrote:
hi everyone,

well, today i started up my computer and for no apparent reason my display has shifted up about 2 inches and is tilted down to the right about 10 degrees. I tried to adjust the monitor with the buttons on the front pannel and it won't let me. i get an osd lock message each time i press a button. i looked up in the manual to see if there was a way to disable this, and following the instructions (hold [1] and hold up arrow for 10 seconds) doesn't do anything. I though this might be a video card problem, so i took a screenshot of my desktop, and it came out normal. i have a viewsonic g90f.

i appreciate any ideas you might have


Snake, this might sound weird, but it's worked occasionally in the past:

1. Unplug Power Cord from the back of the monitor.
2. Press and hold the power button on the monitor for 10-15 seconds.
3. Plug the Power Cord back into the monitor
4. Restart the monitor and test.

There should be a Degaussing Button (possibly with an icon which looks like a magnet) on the front. Try using that to see if it will reset it.

Have you tried the monitor on another system, just to ensure the same thing happens?

SC64


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Monitor issue
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:28 am 
Willamette
Willamette
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:19 am
Posts: 1420
Location: Malware Removal GOD
I had a similar problem once, it turned out to be my monitor and a very expensive fix since they only wanted to give me a small portion of the $$$ back.

I would try a new video card to test it rather than waist all sorts of driver updates. Or if you have a spare monitor just to test with that would work too


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:35 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:09 pm
Posts: 6
I'm gonna hook this monitor up to my old pc and see if it does the same thing. no magnets or speakers nearby. i just tried doing what you said superchip but to no avail. i also tried it on a new video card (x800 pro woot!) and that didn't help either. i'll prolly give viewsonic a call today and see what they say...

are viewsonics known to do this? i've not heard of this before now :?

EDIT: well, i hooked up this monitor to my old pc and got the exact same problem. i know for sure that it's the monitor now


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Its the monitor
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:58 am 
Willamette
Willamette
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:19 am
Posts: 1420
Location: Malware Removal GOD
If you tried more than 1 video card then its def the monitor no need to test further. I rached my brain and did the same thing on my troubles


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:45 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:09 pm
Posts: 6
lately it's started to get worse lol. i eventually got it off of osd lock, but now none of the buttons are functional. when i hit a button, about 10 seconds later the screen turns off and comes back on. weird. i contacted viewsonic and they said that was pretty fubar'd and to send it back to get fixed/replaced

thx all for the help


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:03 pm 
Folding Master (Top-ranked)
Folding Master (Top-ranked)

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:22 pm
Posts: 2061
Location: Toledo, Ohio
-Snake- wrote:
lately it's started to get worse lol. i eventually got it off of osd lock, but now none of the buttons are functional. when i hit a button, about 10 seconds later the screen turns off and comes back on. weird. i contacted viewsonic and they said that was pretty fubar'd and to send it back to get fixed/replaced

thx all for the help


I wouldn't want to pay your shipping costs. Maybe there is an outfit doing viewsonic repairs in your arrea. Write to viewsonic support.

Image


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:10 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:09 pm
Posts: 6
yea i know, shipping for a monitor is insane. i would definitely (note that it is spelled correctly) rather take it somewhere by hand than ship it...


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

© 2014 Future US, Inc. All rights reserved.