Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Key Logger Software?
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:37 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Hello,

I would really like to find some software that can record what keys have been hit while accessing my PC. I want to see if someone om my house is accessing my PC.

Does anyone know of such security software?

Thanks,

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:18 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

I know they exist, but not where to get one.

Do you use Microsoft XP (home or pro)??

If so and you have a password on your user account (as you should) then all you have to do is hit (win=windows key) win+L to lock the system out so that anyone trying to access it must have your password (or log in as the admin account, if they know how, most don't) to use the computer. Logging out will also effectively do this if there is only one user account on the computer, but this will shut down your apps (such as MSN Messenger) where as win+L does nothing more then lock the system (all the apps continue to run be hide the login box, and will be waiting for you when you type in the proper password). I use it all the time at home to keep my wife and kid off my computer (they have a "family" computer they can screw up instead of killing mine all the time)

Hope this helps, if not someone will be along that knows where to get a keylog.

BigM
(BTW nice name :D 8) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:41 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I found this:

https://www.spectorsoft.com/products/eB ... index.html

This seems like it would work great!

Thanks for your help!

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:40 pm 

ok what about the opposite, what if this is on the computer and you want to shut it down or work around it, how would you do that? if you looked in one area to find the program or process, where would you look? (this is on a home computer not work comp.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:34 am 

w1k3d_smart wrote:
ok what about the opposite, what if this is on the computer and you want to shut it down or work around it, how would you do that? if you looked in one area to find the program or process, where would you look? (this is on a home computer not work comp.)

you need to use a hardware based key logger. it is attached to a PS2 or USB in your keyboard. :wink:
http://www.keyghost.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:56 am 
Team Member
Team Member

w1k3d_smart wrote:

Not sure what CoolKidd is talking about :?

To see if a unwanted application (key logger) is running hit Crtl+Alt+Del. This will bring up the processes window. Make sure show all users checkbox is checked (or else it might hide stuff), you should then be able to see all programs running on your system. To find out what any one of them are, go to its run directory. If it’s suspicious try "end task"ing it and see if windows complains. If it does complain (or restarts itself) then it probably should remain on. Otherwise it could be one of the applications you installed, you will know this by watching your task bar to see if one of the icons disappear. Or it could be the offending task. Another way to find out what program is running is to Google the process. Most (if not all) MS processes will have a definition/explanation on them and Google does a good job of finding them.
Another place you can look is under "services" in the admin tools folder, located in control panel. It will show all programs that start on startup, not just the ones running.

BigM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:55 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

This is a program that I have tested with good results.

http://www.blazingtools.com/bpk.html

It even hides from Task Manager and the only method I can tell to determine if it is running or installed at all is by Ad-Aware finds two entries in the registry, but does not find anything running.

It is very simple to use and even allows you to backup what has been captured. You might even like it enough to purchase the full version which will allow you to actually send data to an email address.

The hardware ones look very interesting. I have seen two different types online, the one built into the keyboard and completely invisible and the one that you connect to you keyboard cable and plug the other end into the computer.

Post subject: Re: Key Logger Software?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:22 am 
All Your Basestar Are Belong to Us
All Your Basestar Are Belong to Us

big__m wrote:
I would really like to find some software that can record what keys have been hit while accessing my PC. I want to see if someone om my house is accessing my PC.

Oh come on my friend, you don't want to see if someone is accessing your PC. If that were the case, you'd simply set up password-protected accounts, and enable security event logging for failed logins. Then you could see who was trying (and failing) to access your PC.

Keyloggers are for S-P-Y-I-N-G. That being said, we've used Spectorsoft in my office and it was fine. But you can probably save $$ with Family Keylogger:

http://www.tucows.com/preview/355922

-Six

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:31 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I used family keylogger, it hides well, but gives sporadic results. Don't expect pretty documents from the log. Ask yourself first... which is better, blissful ignorance, or painful awareness.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:25 pm 

jonnyquest wrote:
I used family keylogger, it hides well, but gives sporadic results. Don't expect pretty documents from the log. Ask yourself first... which is better, blissful ignorance, or painful awareness.

Is it free??????

Last edited by Afra on Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Key Logger Software?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:40 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

What is up with the recent rash of people resurrecting ancient threads? Seems like we're getting new members who don't know they should read the rules before posting.