Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Rebate Fun
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:59 pm 

So I walk into my local Staples a few months ago with the intent on purchasing some RAM, right? To my surprise, the PC-133 RAM (Yes, yes, I know) that I intend to purchase has a rebate on it. Cool, I think to myself. I'm getting it cheaper than I expected... eventually that it. So when I get home, I diligently complete Staples' online rebate form, print out my materials, and mail out everything to them. But as time passes, Staples still lists my rebate as pending and claims that my paperwork still hasn't gotten there. Now, I don't understand how an address generated by Staples could be wrong, but according to them, my paperwork must have been lost in the mail. Now, I supposed it was foolish of me not to have photocopied my receipt (or in this case the rebate receipt) and the UPC code, but why would I photocopy something that I can only send the original of. Because apparently when the originals get "lost in the mail" they'll accept these. Unless of course those get lost in the mail too, right? I certainly didn't expect that I'd need photocopies of these items for a company like Staples; who would expect them to screw you over? Luckily, as I said, I was going to get the RAM anyways, but it's very frustrating. Has anybody esle had this experience with Staples lately, or am I the only sucker?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:39 pm 
Forum's 3dfx Zealot
Forum's 3dfx Zealot

No I have had this happen before but I just went to the store and complained about it. called I got sick and tired of this bs and the manger just gave me the rebate in store credit which i more than happilly used as I did not know there was a 100 dollar rebate on teh drive then I just went ahead and called fax in a copy to some one at corp and they sent me myt 100 check.... Called double rebate fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:27 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

if you know the date you purchased it they might be able to issue another reciept

they dug one up for me when sent my usr modem for repairs..and it was 4yrs old!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:04 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

rebates suck...

CompUSA seems to have the best mail-in policy...

as long as you document, and make an effort with the company, they will give you your rebate at the store. at least they do at mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:02 pm 

How's this for stupidity?

StaplesRebates.com still shows that they are awaiting my paperwork. However, I received my rebate in the mail today! I mean, what the hell is up with that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:37 am 

Office Max has ignored my rebate requests several times. Now I do not even consider going there for personal or business purposes. It costs them more than me when they screwed me on rebates. Plus I tell everyone not to shop there exactly for that reason (like now). Companies should not advertise if they do not plan to fufill their obligations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:50 am 
Astro lube 2 the MAX!
Astro lube 2 the MAX!

Eh I hate rebates, one of the worst ways to market items. They always take forever or never happens. They only do it because only a few people acually send them in. And the rest forget it. Last one was for my plextor drive to get 20 bux back. Took them 3-5 months, not sure so long ago. Rebates are teh evil! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:53 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Yeah, mail in rebates do indeed stink. I've tried to get 3 over the past few years. One was for a Canon printer, one for an ATI video card and one for a Corel office suite.

I never heard anything back for the Canon printer (it wasn't Canon in charge of doing the rebates so I'm not going to dis them.. in fact I love Canon). The rebate center said they never received my rebate.

I never heard back from the Corel. They too said they never received my rebate.

I got a letter from ATI saying I wasn't eligable for their rebate program. I called the number on their card they sent me, which was a non-working 1-800 number. I went on their web site and emailed them. Some guy said that because I had a P.O. Box number I was not eligable for the rebate. I explained to him that we don't get our mail delivered to house numbers but to a P.O. Box number and that I was getting my rebate one way or another (I was tired of not getting my promised $$'s). He told me he still couldn't send me any money because he didn't have a street address to deliver the mail to. Glad he listened. We dont get mail delivered straight to our houses here... we have post office boxes! I replied to him explaining again that I had a P.O. box. I also told him my street address (the only reason we have one is for 911 purposes... not mail). A few weeks later I got a letter in the mail (addressed to my PO box no less) saying they could not deliver my rebate as there was no mailbox located at my address. No kidding!!!!! We don't have them at our houses. I emailed the guy back, told him what a dunderhead he was being, and told him to write my street address in the first address line (so that they were sending to a street address like their regulations required) and then put my post office box number in the second address line. He did this, and amazingly enough the postman found my mailbox and deposited my rebate into it. Yay, my first rebate ever received!

Anyway.. our store does not deal in mail in rebates. Sometimes we get sales (aka instant rebates) for a week or 2 from our suppliers.. those are the only rebates we have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:26 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Staples has to be one of the better stores we have here for this. As Jawa says, if you run into a problem, go to the store, they usually make good on it. I found a hard drive at a store farther away, it had a rebate that Staples wasn't offering. The manager matched that rebate at the register- I didn't have to send in any paperwork.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:03 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Quote:
the manger just gave me the rebate in store credit which i more than happilly used as I did not know there was a 100 dollar rebate on teh drive then I just went ahead and called fax in a copy to some one at corp and they sent me myt 100 check.... Called rebate theft.

Fixed that for you.

Anyway...I refuse to buy anything with a mail in rebate. It's such a massive ripoff. They get your money for months, and then, using rules designed to make it especially difficult for someone to get the money they are entitled to, try to justify not giving it back.

As long as people keep putting up with it, they'll keep ripping people off.

Post subject: Dont Consider rebate in price
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:36 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I don't even consider the rebate when i am pricing an item if it $99.99 before the rebate and $69.99 after mail in rebate then to me the price is $99.99 Best Buy used to piss me off because they used to Put the after rebate in BIG BOLD letters and the real price in smaller print and you had to look real close to tell what the real price was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:24 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Best Buy is by far the worst store on earth when it comes to rebates...EVERY DAMN THING has a rebate, so you look at the price in the sunday paper, you go with the amount of cash in hand and find out "Oh, thats the price after rebate!" Well Lah-DI-Frickin-Dah!. Something is seriously wrong there, since not only did I not get the product I had intended since it was more than I could spend, but I wasted gas and a good 45 minutes on it as well. Seriously, if they want to do rebates FINE but the actualy price needs to be the one clearly listed. And if they are going to stick a rebate up your ass anyway, they could at least deal with them in an orderly manner instead of making you wait 4 or 5 millenia to get the damn thing back. One last personal story: My girlfriend bought a laptop from BB about a year ago, and it had some rebates, fine we knew we were going to spend more than 800 going into the deal, but since it was to be a credit card purchase, the rebates were good. So they get filled out to a T! I get them both back saying we forgot to circle the purchase Item on the damn receipt (it never stated this was required, especially since best buy gives you SEPERATE REBATE RECEIPTS!) Well by the time I get it back and send it back in I later find out that it got sent back in AFTER the valid-thru date (45 days after the purchase). WHAT THE HELL GOOD IS THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Insert Howard Dean war-cry here)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:33 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

When I look at the Sunday ads for all of the "computer stores" I pretty much know that all of the prices their showing are for rebates. Now, I wish these stores would do their rebates like Rite Aid does. I went online, typed in my reciept number, store number, register number, name & address, and my rebate will be mailed to me- no UPC's, no stamps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:14 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Quote:
When I look at the Sunday ads for all of the "computer stores" I pretty much know that all of the prices their showing are for rebates. Now, I wish these stores would do their rebates like Rite Aid does. I went online, typed in my reciept number, store number, register number, name & address, and my rebate will be mailed to me- no UPC's, no stamps!

Thats almost too good to be true. Yes, I now take anything I see in a Sunday ad with a grain of salt. But they could at least be fair about honoring the damn things too. Especially since the trend seems to be that the more expensive the purchase, the harder you gotta work for the rebate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:31 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Quote:
Thats almost too good to be true. Yes, I now take anything I see in a Sunday ad with a grain of salt. But they could at least be fair about honoring the damn things too. Especially since the trend seems to be that the more expensive the purchase, the harder you gotta work for the rebate!

It took 2 days for Rite Aid to process my rebate. Today I got a confirmation email that the rebate was ready. I went to their web site & requested a check. It almost seems like I could keep the money in an account there to use for an online purchase if I wanted to. This was a really great deal- a $9.99 pair of Ear buds for $5.99 on sale, then a $4.00 rebate on top of that, making them $1.00.

I'd have to agree, I've had problems with Mad Dog getting $30 from them- they said the number I gave them was invalid (was copied from their email). They haven't replied since I emailed them that number they say wasn't valid. The other day, Symantec tried to screw me out of another $30 saying I forgot the proof of purchase (I know I sent this too). At least they allow me to fax it to them (thankfully, I had a copy).