Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: SpotLight - Number 20 - Number Six
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:39 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

SpotLight on Number Six - Team Maximum PC founder

Number Six started the Folding team we all enjoy
He has 3,353,787 points (that makes him currently 56th in the world in production)
Processors 95/80

Lets meet Number Six............... Image

Where do you call home these days?

I live in Long Island, New York, with my wife & two kids and my dog Rudy. Rudy is named after Rudy Giuliani, former Mayor of New York. We think he's part Boxer, and part Ridgeback (the dog, not the former Mayor). He's a good dog when he's not eating crumbs on the floor, playing with dog toys that make noise, hanging out by the door waiting for someone to let him outside, hanging out by the door waiting for someone to let him inside, making annoying smacking sounds with his mouth, licking me, nudging me, shedding hair, or otherwise driving me insane. He's welcome to lie down on the couch with me if he sits still and just enjoys the episode of Battlestar Galactica or SG-1, but somehow, I don't think he's into Sci-Fi.

Here's my dog... when he looks at me this way, I know he's been a bad boy. "No biscuit, Rudy!"

.............Image

Here's a self-portrait. Bonus points to anyone who can guess what vehicle it is:

.............Image

What got you started folding?

I had started distributed computing with United Devices' so-called cancer research project... that is until one day UD installed and tried to run their for-profit crap on my office computers. ZoneAlarm caught UD red-handed. UD was forever banned from my office and I for one will never trust them. You see, as an early adopter of UD's program, the only project they had was the cancer one. There was no "opt-out" at that time for any additional projects, because none existed. When they added their private customer projects, rather than default the early-adopters to "opt-out", they defaulted us to opt-in. That went beyond unprofessional and into the unethical.

After that, many of my computers searched for ET, until one day, I read about Folding at Home -- from Computer Power User magazine of all places. I created an account for my office computers, the R&M Collective, and then formed a team with other Maximum PC fans who frequented Maximum PC's prior official forums, The Commport.

Back in the day, most everything of what I learned about folding came from our friends at Extreme Overclockers Forum. They are a great bunch over at that forum and the entire Folding at Home community owes a debt of gratitude to EOC's Jason for creating and hosting the finest stats pages on the Internet.

The biggest boon to the team was when it hit me to ask the editors to discuss the team and the project in the magazine, which was so successful it was scary. The editors even received hate-e-mail from disgruntled members of competing teams! However, once we took off, there was no stopping us.

Where are you employed?

I'm employed in a small law firm in the Five Towns, where I represent a variety of clients in various civil matters. I don't do criminal law, personal injury or matrimonial, so spare me the ambulance chaser jokes. For those who are interested, here's one of my published decisions:

http://www.courts.state.ny.us/reporter/ ... _07934.htm

What other hobbies or interests do you pursue when not folding?

When it's not so darn cold out, I have a sweet 10" Orion dobsonian telescope which I use to view the Andromeda Galaxy (a/k/a the thin green smudge), the Ring Nebula (tiny gray "o"), Mars, Jupiter & Saturn (okay, Saturn is impressive), and some other celestial bodies. I'm an Assistant Manager over at Qcoment's Amateur Astronomy forum at Delphi: http://forums.delphiforums.com/amtastro/start

.................................Image

How did you learn about computers?

I've been into computers since I was a kid... it was the natural extension of being an Atari 2600 junkie. My first computer was an Atari 400... you remember, the membrane keyboard. Then I upgraded to an Atari 800, and finally, a customized Atari 130XE (modded by someone who added more memory and a toggle switch to activate the expanded memory configuration). Hell, I should have known it was my destiny to be a semi-professional forum admin from an early age, because I hosted various BBS' and loved to chat as the SysOp!

By the time I was in college, I had lost track of computer technology, and was pretty amazed when a friend showed me some games on his IBM 286. I was blown away, and vowed never again to let myself get so out-of-touch with what was happening with technology. I picked up issues of PC Magazine and got all caught up. Armed with my new found 7337 knowledge, I ordered my own custom-built AMD 386DX2/40MHz with a killer Matrox Millennium video card. Can you spell WRAM baby?

Then, one fine day in 1997, I actually discovered a little magazine called boot. What caught my eye was a review of the NVIDIA Riva 128. Contrary to every single magazine around, boot was actually criticizing the IQ of the Riva 128... I'll never forget the review, stating that it was like looking "through a sieve" and detailing the square textures and MIP map compression tricks it was using to achieve high fps, all at the expense of of image quality. I knew at that very moment, that there would be a special place in my life for boot and the awesome people who wrote it. I subscribed, and just about everything I learned about computers from that day forward came from boot.

What hardware are you currently running?

My trusty old office PC is the same one I've been using for years, and
safe-surfing and judicial software installation keeps it fast despite never
being reformatted. It's an Athlon XP 2100+ with 1GB of Mushkin CAS 222 PC 2700, a 120GB HDD, a Philips Acoustic Edge sound card, and a Leadtek GF4 4400 Ti. In its life, it's undergone a CPU upgrade (from a 1.4GHz Thunderbird), several videocard upgrades (I had a Voodoo5 in there at one time, and probably something before that). I'll keep this for as long as it will last, since it does everything I need my office system to do.

My new build is just about state-of-the-art and is fully described here

Click Here.
It was plagued with problems caused by the Antec NE power supply I originally ordered. After not being pleased with an Enermax Liberty 620W, I decided to take no chances and just put in a PCP&C Turbo-Cool 510 SLI. I then tested it with 3DMark2006 to ensure it was operating correctly, and, despite a somewhat corrupt OS install (the system spontaneously powered down during the install, thanks Antec!), it scored in the 4200s, for 3DMark2006, right where it should for the videocard and the Athlon X2 4400+ that's been overclocked to 2.4GHZ. It now sits underneath an air-conditioner vent in our server room, folding 24/7.

What I like best about my latest build are the activity lights on the Corsair XMS Pro memory modules. Combined with the big case window, I can just look at the rig to see if it's folding properly. If the activity lights aren't going just so, I know it's not folding, and I can then fix it.
Link to XMS Pro Series memory info Click Here

Here's my new rig, folding 24/7. Note the memory modules' activity lights are in the red. FAH is maxing them out:

...................Image

Finally, here's what to do to power supplies we don't like in my office. They get dumped into obsolete machines that cost less than the PSU itself. F**king Antec, enjoy your PIII hell:

..............Image

What are the main things you use your computers for today?

I use my computer mainly for doing word processing and online legal research and playing New Age music in the background. I listen to Sky.fm's 96kbs New Age stream, found here:
Link. I also participate in Sky.fm's forum, where I review various songs with brutal honesty.

What Broadband provider do you use - are you happy with their service?

I use optimum online (optonline.net) both home and at the office.
I've been very happy with the service. They pretty much re-wired my house and didn't charge me anything.

What do you like most about Folding and the MaximumPC forum?

I used to love Folding most for the good it does and the competition.
Now, I love Folding and the forums for the camaraderie I feel when I see all of us working together. You guys (and girls) are phenomenal. Now ask the next question already before I get all gushy and start to cry.

What are your future folding plans?

I'm constantly looking for ways to expand on a massive scale. I had a local school install the client on around ten computers and I need to remind them to install it on more. I can't figure out why my production is down right now, but maybe I'll have some time soon to figure it out. But the bottom line, I want to continue to be a beacon for our team, it's the least I can do to show my own personal appreciation and thanks for all of your efforts.

The following might contain some exaggerations (or outright lies).
It covers the adduction and Pamela Anderson encounter discussed in the promo along with other glimpses into Six's personal life. It should prove he is capable of geek organization.

..........................Image

Six thanks for agreeing to do this SpotLight - even if Blondie had to threaten you in ways she won't discuss to get you to do it.
You have a very businesslike relationship with Rudy. Sounds like he wants to live up to your expectations.
You do an absolutely fantastic job of leading the way for the team.
I think it was idaiki that said something about your take no prisoners attitude.
Thanks from all of us.

*As originally posted by gsmitheman

Last edited by Blondie on Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: SpotLight - Number 21 - FemFolder
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:50 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

SpotLight on FemFolder

FemFolder Started folding on 3/11/06
She has 11,439 points
Processors 10/9

Lets meet FemFolder............... Image

I was born and raised in Illinois, and still live in my family home.
I have been married for 26 years to a former Marine.
My town is a small town trying to become big. I'm not sure that's a good thing.

..............Image

I started out running Seti in 1999, and thought distributed computing was a great idea.
I switched over to UD in 2002, after my aunt passed away from cancer.
I thought my resources were much better used in the search for a cure.
I discovered Jason's F@H stats at EOC in 2003, and decided to try running Folding at Home.
I've run several other DC projects, including several Boinc projects, but always come back to F@H.

Where are you employed?

I worked as the receiving manager in a large retail store, for 14 years, but quit about a year ago.
I like to think I'm "retired", and have no plans to return to the work force any time soon, due to health problems.

Hubby and I are blessed with several animal friends. We have 2 horses (BlackJack and Shadow), 2 orangewing parrots (Sam and Tinker), and lots of cats. We have a "mini-farm" of sorts and the mowing keeps us pretty busy in summer.

I used to make graphics and paint, and have combined those along with some photography, to create some unique images.

I also used to have a large flower garden in my back yard, which was at it's height of beauty in 1996. I still have flowers, but can't maintain it like I used to, so have cut way back.

Blackjack and Shadow

Sam and Tinker

"1 of many" Cat

Desert painting with rope border added in graphics program

Taken on vacation in Cancun

Ominious clouds taken in my backyard a few years ago

Large flower garden - before the cutback

You're the first person in a SpotLight to have horses.
Do you have a barn or stable for them and all the tack for riding?

We have a "mini farm" of 9 acres, where we keep the horses. It's 16 miles from my house. I haven't rode for a couple years now, but I still have all the tack.

Do you grow or buy their feed?

We buy hay from farmers in the local area.

My wife says, No more dogs after this one. They are too much trouble.
My imagination tells me a horse is times 10 more maintenance than a dog.
Maybe I'll try that argument next time.

Not really. We make it over once a day in winter, to feed them and fill the water tank.
In summer, we can go a couple days because they are on pasture.
Much less trouble than a dog.

Well I quess I need a new plan.
It wouldn't have worked anyway, Rose reads all of the SpotLights.

After my Dad passed away in 1996, I was really devastated and needed to find something to occupy my mind and time.
My first computer was a HP Pavilion 500 meg, and I paid almost $1000 for it, which was (and still is) a large amount for me.

I used this computer to run Seti and later UD.
After a couple years, I acquired a second tower, this time a HP 533 meg, and I thought I was flying high! Lol
Later I gave both of to my son, and eventually passed them on to someone that gave them to families that couldn't afford to buy one. Great that they ended up helping kids.

Later I bought a Dell tower for $750, and was able to add a "real" graphics card and later a "real" sound card. Once again, I feel I paid too much, considering what I can build one for today, but it was a good basic tower, and eventually found a home at my son's.

Today I run the following-
P4 Prescott 2.8, 1 gig ram
AMD64 3000 Sempron, 768 ram
AMD64 3000 Newcastle, 1 gig ram
AMD 3000 Barton, 512 ram
AMD 3000 Barton, 512 ram
AMD 2800 T Bred, 1 gig ram
AMD 3100 Mobile, 512 ram
AMD 2400 Mobile, 512 ram
AMD 1800 Palomino, 384 ram

Folding Farm

Do you build your own computers today?

Everything I now own, I built. I've also built towers for relatives.

I was the person that everyone asked for computer help, at work, but after some time that got a little tedious.

I also run Linux. I'm far from a guru, but I like to dabble with alternative OS'es, and one of my favs right now is SuSe.

Do you overclock any machines?

I used to play with overclocking, and managed to corrupt a few hard drives.
Since I've become serious about running F@H, I quit overclocking.
I want stable towers.

Folding is the main purpose for the farm.
I use 1 main tower to surf, play music occasionally, upload photos, etc.

Work Station

I only have one option for broadband here and that's DSL through the local phone company.
I can say I'm happy with it. I opted for the highest speed available.
DSL Reports tests say-
Your download speed : 4080 kbps or 510 KB/sec.
Your upload speed : 419 kbps or 52.4 KB/sec.
I think it's supposed to be 6000 down and 1000 up (they keep raising it), but the test always varies depending on when I check it.
I do think the cost is too high ($50 +) and that we need some competition.

Well, I've always liked Folding. Even though I've run other projects, I always return to Folding because I feel it's a worthwhile, longterm project. Participation in the F@H forums, by the Pande staff, is a huge plus. I like to be kept informed of the process and results.
I've been a F@H beta team member for a few years, and just recently started to participate more in the forum.

I've lurked in the MaxPC forum for awhile, and finally decided to take the plunge here.
The team members and staff seem like good people, and are enthusiastic about the cause.
I like that MaxPC's Folding forum is an active and fun place.

I guess I'd be happy to reach the top 20 list for MaxPC.
I think I've pretty much reached the saturation point as to the number of towers I can run.

FemFolder thanks for doing a SpotLight after just joining the team.
Blondie was really interested in learning more about the new woman on the team (finally someone who really understands).
Three hours turnaround for the SpotLight was a shock to me - but you seem to be full of surprises and I'm getting more use to it now.
You seem to be on board about everything - just a reminder - allow at least 12ft from the monkey cages. Inside that range they are very accurate

Last edited by Blondie on Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: SpotLight - Number 22 - hackman2007
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:31 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

SpotLight on Hackman2007

Hackman2007 Started folding on 11/15/05
He has 15,835 points
Processors 4/2

Lets meet Hackman2007............... Image

Today, I live in Rolla, Missouri in an old 1950's home with my mom and dad. I do have another brother, but he's currently moved out, more or less. I actually don't like it in Rolla. I like living in bigger cities, such as Springfield Missouri. My dad is currently a truck driver and my mom works at Briggs and Stratton. We get a lot of thunderstorms during the summer, but not so much during the winter. We also don't get a whole lot of snow because we are right in the middle of Missouri. The last time we had a snow day at my school was in 2002. My family and I have lived in the exact same spot for about 8 or 9 years, in which I don't anticipate we'll move much until I go off to college. I also have a female cat named Willie. She got her name because we used to have a neighbor that was really crazy and was named Willie. My cat runs around with her eyes closed it seems and doesn't do things a normal cat would do, so she got the name willie after our neighbor, who doesn't live near us anymore.

I don't really remember how I got started into the Folding thing. I think it happened when I accidentally scrolled too far down on the maximum pc message boards. I saw this weird thing called Team Maximum PC Folding@Home. I promised myself one day that I would check and see what that was all about. I lurked in that forum for about 2 months before deciding one night at about 1:00am to download the client and start my computer Folding. I first downloaded the GUI client, because I didn't feel like doing a whole lot of configuring. I think the main reason for me starting Folding was because it was a way I could give back to the world for what I had taken. Also I really like to do charity work. Also since I don't really use my computer that much during the day I thought why not. I also felt like joining something that I could consider myself part of. In other words I wanted to join something where people were nice and was something that I really liked to do. This satisfied two of my interests, helping people and computers. I also thought I would get to know a lot of people by Folding. In other words I was hoping that this could possibly help me in the future by knowing all of these people. I only wish you could get it mentioned on a college transcript. Also it helps when you read the magazine and discover a mention of Folding@Home in there.

I definitely agree on that one. The magazine support is fantastic.

Where do you go to school?

I got to Rolla High School. I really like going to school actually. My favorite subjects are Math and Computers, obviously.
However, if I didn't have to go and could remain smart then I probably wouldn't go because I hate getting up in the morning.
I'm not a morning person. In regards to grades I am currently ranked 64 out of 334 people, which is kind of an accomplishment if I might say so. My grades are relatively good. The lowest grade I ever got was a D- in Programming. I hated the programming teacher. That kind of hurt my GPA, it brought it down to a 3.3/4.0, which kind of is bad. But other than that I usually am in the A range, with exception to Chemistry, which I also hate. However, I do like some Science classes. My favorite science class is Biology. I wonder if this has anything to do with Folding@Home? I am currently a Junior in High School, which means next year is my Senior year. In my senior year I will be taking mostly computer classes and a senior composition class, which I'm afraid of, because it will have at least six major research papers in a semester, which sounds kind of bad to me, however I like to write research papers. At the end of 2007 I will hopefully be going to Missouri State University, unless I find a different college that better fits my needs. As of right now I can't wait to get out of high school because of the tedious reading program we have to do called Accelerated Reader. In this program we have to get 25 points a quarter, which kind of sucks because all of the books are boring, I hate reading sometimes and plus the AR tests are really extremely hard, so you have to read every detail of the book and remember every detail.

Some other hobbies that I pursue regularly are baseball sportscard collecting, computers, photography and chess. I really like chess. In fact I actually formed the Chess Club at our school. However, it's not doing to well because of all the other clubs that are in our school right now. Plus tv doesn't exactly make chess sound like a really good thing to get involved with. I had to start the Chess Club completely from the start. I had to write the Constitution, in which I made myself President and one of my other friends Vice President. Right now our chess club does not play other chess clubs, because we have yet to get that organized and it's a bit hard to get organized because of the safe schools act. We are in the process of sending out letters and e-mails to other schools to invite them to a tournament next school year. Normally when our chess club meets we just practice like monkey's (get the pun?).

Another major interest is sportscard collecting. I've been collecting sportscards since I was very little. I started collecting because my parents did. I've got a couple of really good cards in my folders and boxes, but nothing too impressive considering I've never spent more than $20 at a time on cards. I'm mainly a collector of insert cards. My favorite player to collect insert cards of is: Mark McGwire and Scott Rolen. So far I have none of these players. I do have a couple of
autograph cards and some game used jersey's of other players, but can't find anything in my price range for these players.

However, due to the fact of changing interests I've started giving up on card collecting, because all of my favorite players are close to retirement and I don't like some of the new players. Plus all my money goes into my computer now mostly.

I've been interested in photography for a very long time. My first camera was an instant film development camera, but the film was $12 for 10 pictures which was a huge waste of money in my opinion. Considering the price of processing my pictures I kind of gave up on photography until just recently. The reason I started back up was because I got a digital camera. With the low cost of printing pictures at home and me able to send pictures and see the pictures fast and easy. Right now I have a 4.0 megapixel digital camera with a 3X optical Zoom and 4X digital zoom and 256MB of memory for just enough pictures.

Actually I didn't learn about computers until just recently. Two years ago my computer got horribly infected by malware. At this time we knew someone that was supposdely good at removing malware. We had this person come to our house to try and fix our computer. But when they came over we realized that they didn't know much more than we did. All the person did was keep clicking things. At the end they asked us "do you remember how I got to a certain place"?. Eventually after many failed attempts he gave up and went home and told us to take it to a technician. I tried to also fix the computer but at this time I knew about as much about computers as I do Calculus. We then contacted our ISP for technical support. Our ISP informed us that they did not cover software issues and that they only covered hardware issues with the modem and stuff like that.

However, they referred us to a trusted technical shop. After a few days we decided that we better take the computer into the technical shop. After three days we got the computer back from the technical shop. We thought all was well, but it was not.
It turned out that a virus was placed on there in the system32 folder. We called back the tech shop and they assured us that it was a remnant. We argued that if it was a remnant why is it being picked up by a virus scan. They then told us to take it back into the shop so they could remove the virus. However, after getting the computer back the technician told us it wasn't a virus and he didn't remove the file. All we wanted was the file to be removed. He charged us $40 to run Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy and said none of them detected a virus and that what we found was nothing. The technician then asked what antivirus software that we used to detect this virus. I told him we used RAV online scan to detect it. In response to this answer, the technician said, "well don't run that scan if it picks it up". Realizing this was a stupid answer I demanded that they take the file off of our computer. They refused yet again, even after I talked to them over the phone. Realizing we were not going to be getting any help from this company, we decided it was in our best interest to seek help elsewhere. We found a new technical shop named Waved Computers. We told them all we wanted was them to remove the file that was detected by the scan. They charged us $45 to remove the file that was detected and they removed it. So we spent in total $165 to get our computer free of viruses and other malware. I decided that we just couldn't keep doing this everytime we got a major virus or other malware attack so I went off learning whatever I could. I eventually found a place called Geekstogo in which helped me find the proper way of removing malware.

I happened across another forum called geekstogo.com. This is a very nice forum that has a malware removing school. Before this I had no idea on how to remove malware. I thought Spybot and Ad-Aware were good spyware and other malicious software removers. However, after I posted my first reply I was told otherwise. I was told that you don't want to throw scans at something and should learn how to remove something manually, just in case that an online scan or other scan did not detect it. I was really successful in my first set of 6 practice logs, in which the primary goal of the logs was to train our eyes to detect malware from the log and learn how to properly remove it. We were stressed that just because we fixed an entry in HijackThis, that doesn't mean that the entry was totally fixed. After fixing with HijackThis we still have to remove the file. I was told that all HijackThis does is give an idea of what is on the system. If we fix an item we still have to remove the associated file, because all HijackThis does is keep the file from starting up when Windows does. It took me a really long while to catch on to what I was supposed to do. After completing the first set of Practice Logs I went on to the Upperclass, in which the logs get harder and the malware is tougher to research and remove. It took me a little over 2 months to fully pass the upperclass logs. I am now on Live Logs/Check my Fix logs. In Live logs we help a moderator that has infected their computer (vmware) with malware. They then give us feedback based on how we tell them to remove the malware. In check my fix mode we are allowed to post to actual users, but we have to get every post approved by a mod. As I have said before, I did not know how to properly remove malware before Geekstogo and I would not be helping with this board if I did not. I am currently helping other people in the Free Clinic forum with their computers. I have also made a GIANT sticky on removing malware at the top of the Free Clinic forum. I have also helped a few people with their computers and can't wait to help other users.

I currently have two computers. One is an Emachines computer that I bought last year in June for programming. I thought this was a very good computer for the money since it was a little over $600 shipped. The eMachines computer's specifications are: a Socket A AMD Sempron 3000+ on some generic motherboard, with a Nvidia GeForce 4 MX integrated graphics card along with integrated audio and a 120GB ATA 133 Western Digital Hard drive and a Liteon DVD DL Burner and a crappy Emachines case that had heat issues and a 300 watt generic power supply. The eMachines computer was the first computer that I had started folding with. This computer had some serious heat issues. Overall folding with this computer I did 118 work units, but got only 97 points. I posted frequently on the forum and was told to add another fan since the computer did not appear to have a fan that I could see. Instead of just adding a fan I decided to just replace the whole entire case and power supply, since the power supply was known to be defective and had been replaced by eMachines before. I replaced it with an Antec 1650B case that came with a 350 watt power supply. This computer is now folding very well after replacing the case and power supply. Eventually I plan on selling this computer, but I will keep Folding@Home on it though when I sell it.

The other computer I am currently running is the computer I built myself. It has an Antec 1650B case with 350 watt psu (same case as the first one), a Liteon DVD Burner, an Asus A8N-VM motherboard, a 100.2GB Maxtor Sata hard drive, an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice, and has Windows XP Home and 1GB of RAM. However, even though this computer is clearly better than my eMachines computer, my Emachines computer is still my primary computer for some reason. I think because it's in my room and the computer I built is in my parents room (don't ask, lol). Eventually I am planning on upgrading this computer to a AMD 3800+ dual core, 2GB of RAM, and a 6600GT or better graphics card, and a bigger power supply. The only reason I bought that wimpy power supply was in order to stay under budget, which I managed to do. Even though my original budget was under $400 and the build went up to $600 after all my modifications to the original specifications. This is my primary gaming and folding machine.

Yes, I do build my own computers. The primary reason I started building was eMachines. I thought the emachines computer was a good computer for the money, but it turned out the computer really sucked. After getting the emachines I still had another Windows 98 computer, but didn't like using it because it was an older computer. Later I made some money from fixing computers (I fix computers on the side for money). The first computer I had in mind was Socket 754 but Ben told me not to go Socket 754, because it was a horrible investment for past hardware. After careful consideration it turned out that going Socket 939 was only $70 more. I really didn't want to go Socket 939, but Ben told me to and said I would appreciate my computer more. I spec'd out a socket 939 computer, but everyone on the forum said the Biostar motherboard I had picked out was not very good.

They told me to stick to a reputable manufacturer. Ben told me to stick with Asus, MSI, DFI, and some others. I decided to go the Asus way. I told Ben that I was going to build this computer in May and asked when I should begin buying my parts, and he told me in May. However, being the computer user I am I couldn't wait until May, so I started looking at parts in December.

Then my lucky day came. While walking through a Walmart parking lot, I found an Ipod 1GB Shuffle on the ground. This Ipod actually worked. As a result I decided to sell the Ipod for $75. This $75 gave me enough money to buy all my parts. Ben was really helpful in helping me choose my parts. He told me not to get an ATA hard drive. I followed his advice on that and got a SATA 150.

After I had received all my parts, I was beginning to put my computer together. However, instead of taking the parts out when I needed them I just took them all out and dumped them on the floor. This made everything really confusing. I right away had some problems. I put the processor onto the motherboard with absolutely no problems. However, I couldn't get the heatsink on.

This took a little bit of figuring out before I could actually get the heatsink on. After the heatsink was on I decided to put the memory in the slots, which worked out just fine. After that I had no clue on what to do. I then asked Ben what the next step was in building a computer. He told me to put my motherboard in with the standoffs. After a bit of guessing I eventually figured out what the standoffs were for. After I got the motherboard in, I decided to put the hard drive in.

However, I had never put a Sata drive into a computer, so all I knew was ATA. At this time Ben wasn't online so I couldn't ask him for help. I was able to ask another person for help, doom3crazy. After figuring out that the hard drive doesn't fit all the way into the Antec case I began the hard task of screwing in the screws to the hard drive. Instead of taking out the hard drive tray I decided just to install it right inside the case. So I had to bend my screwdriver upside down and screw that way, which took me about an hour to get right. I put my Optical drive in next which went in without too much trouble. It took me like 3 hours to figure out what all the plugs from the power supply were. I then plugged all the molex connectors into my parts (motherboard, optical drive, and hard drive. I also plugged a molex connector into my fan. Everything seemed to be going all right. Next came plugging in the switches. Since I didn't see the printing on the motherboard, I used a color code system, in which I plugged all the same colors into a slot. I didn't think this would be a bad idea, but I forgot that there is no way of getting a color code system for all the different motherboards. However, I didn't figure this out until it was way too late. I plugged all the switches in and all the connectors and everything and pushed the power button and nothing happened. No hard drive sounds, no power supply. All that happened was a green light came on from my motherboard. This really made me mad. I then gave up for the time being and took off for another hour or so. I came back and started chatting on MSN.

At this time it was about 11:00pm. Ben asked if I got my computer up and running. I told him no and he asked why not and what the symptoms were. After telling him my story, he told me to bring the computer parts by the other computer. He told me to unplug all the connectors. Next he told me to plug in the connectors for the hard drive and cpu and next the switches. After these short troubleshooting steps, my computer was finally up and running. He then told me to put my Windows XP disk into my computer, at which it was 11:30pm. I installed Windows without a hitch and was fully done installing Windows at around 12:30am. I then went to bed. The next morning I started playing around on the computer and noticed the screen was all ripply.

I was told to install drivers and then everything turned out just fine. After the immediate failure to turn the computer on, I told myself I would never build another computer myself again. But after successfully getting the computer started I can't wait to build my next computer.

No, I do not overclock my machines. To me overclocking is bad. Overclocking a machine too much could cause the machine to fail and that's not good. So as a rule I will never overclock regardless of what people say and how easy it is.

My current Broadband provider is Fidelity Cablevision. This is a tiny local ISP that provides high speed internet and cable.

Originally we had dialup, but it kept disconnecting. After some talking with my parents, we concluded that it would be cheaper to get a package deal that included 3mbps download/256kbps upload internet, along with digital cable and free phone service. I'm not really happy with this provider. Fidnet is not a really great company to do business with in my opinion.

They say that they are giving us 3mbps internet, but everytime I do a speed test I notice we are usually at 2.4mbps. This doesn't seem like a big deal, but to me it really is, because I hate having companies take advantage of their customers.

Those aren't my only problems either. Their internet hookup people gave us an old cable modem, which barely worked. This modem worked really good at first and I thought all was good. But just recently I started getting disconnections. I did some tests on the internet and concluded that the problems were on their side. They came and investigated the issue and replaced the really old modem that they gave us. After replacing the modem I never had problems with the modem after that. My problems don't end their either. I recently tried to hook up my brothers computer, along with a friends, onto a wireless network. I've had so many problems trying to hook up the network. Instead of the company directly hooking up the modem to one of the computers so I could do a wired wireless network, they hooked it up in the living room and the computers were upstairs. This forced me to do a wireless network even though I had never done one before. After getting some general networking advice from Ben I was ready to hook up their computers to the network. Overall I ended up doing this about 13 times, not including future attemps which I cannot include. People may say that this has nothing to do with the ISP, but I say it does, because they should have hooked up a computer to the modem and not just left everything a mess. However, I guess I don't have too much to complain about since they always come right away and fix anything that we ask them to, provided it's covered. My ISP has really fast technical support, even though their support part is filled with jerks.

I really like to Fold for Maximum PC. I think the main reason I like to Fold is because of the stats. I know it's for the wrong reason, but I really like to have stats. Another main reason I like to Fold for Maximum PC is because it feels like I actually belong to something. Prior to starting Folding I didn't really feel like I belonged on the forum. I posted a little before starting Folding, but afterwards I felt like I was really part of a team that is doing something positive. I think the main thing that got me interested in Folding at first was the possibility of the Hardware Sell and Swap forum. That forum looked really interesting. So curiosity got me and I was able to start, because of the Emachines purchase. However, when I first started Folding I had many problems which didn't seem to want to go away. This is where I first got to know the Maximum PC team. Blondie told me to just add a fan into the case, but I couldn't because of the stupid stuff emachines gives their customers. She then suggested that I just get a new case to put the computer in. However, I decided that I would wait until I built my first computer. This is also the part where I met Ben because of the Early Unit Errors I was getting. He led me through a LOT of troubleshooting steps, which helped for a little, but not much. So overall the main reason I started Folding was the thought of giving back to the world. If I would have known how great the people that do Folding@Home were, I would have joined the team a LONG time ago. The main reason I didn't start Folding right away when I joined the forum was because there were so many teams to choose from and I didn't know which one to choose. Also I had the worry that I wouldn't be able to get any help with my computer if Folding all of a sudden decided that it wanted to take complete control of my computer.

After all these reasons, there is one reason that is the most important reason for Folding with Team Maximum PC is because no matter how much you give, you will always feel like you belong to something important and will never feel left out. You also get to know a lot of ummm interesting people through Folding. SO if any new Folders are out there just start posting and eventually you will start to get to know people and start to feel part of a team. Without Folding there is no real reason why a person would leave their computer on.

Darn good advice for new folders Mr hackman2007

I actually have a lot of future Folding plans. The main plan I have is to pass Ben (are you reading this Ben?). The other main goal I have is to join the top100. For whatever reason, I think joining the top100 people in Folding will be a great honor. The main reason of me thinking this way is all the great people that are up in the top 100. Basically all I want to do is keep up in the Folding stats and help out Stanford. Other than these main goals I have some other minor goals that I would like to achieve. I would like to do some more recruiting in which I already have done a little, but no one really seems interested in Folding at this moment. I did get one person to Fold for a little while, Ototo. But he never really got interested in Folding. I told him to join the forum, but he thought he wouldn't get accepted by the Maximum PC folding team, so he refused to join the Maximum PC website.

Ototo was wrong - he should have given the forum and the team a chance.
Ben has been warned - on the record

hackman2007 thanks for a great SpotLight.
I'm going to give you a 4.0 which should help the GPA a little.
I believe you win most words in a SpotLight (previously held by HeadWound).
Your enthusiasm is contagious.
I'm just an Adaware, Spybot, MS antispyware kind of a guy. It's nice to know
we have a nuts and bolts malware guy on the team.
I don't know if I got Willie's eyes the right color (they were burned out)
but she looks good with green ones regardless.

Post subject: SpotLight - Number 23 - Kreller1
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:38 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

SpotLight on Kreller1

Kreller1 Started folding on 1/04/06
He has 22570 points
Processors 4/3

Lets meet Kreller1............... Image

Boise, Idaho. We love it because of the great outdoors. Lately we have been VERY wet and there has been some minor flooding. In the long run its good, since we are coming off several years of drought. Within in a pretty short distance we can go hunting, or fishing, hiking, biking, river rafting, cross country skiing, etc, the list goes on and on! I haven’t moved a lot, just within the Boise area. Currently living in a duplex that my family owns, so not paying “regularâ€

Post subject: SpotLight - Number 24 - simple_inhibition
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:04 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

SpotLight on simple_inhibition

simple_inhibition Started folding on 10/10/05
He has 42,088 points
Processors 5/4

Lets meet simple_inhibition............... Image

Hey everyone. You all know me as simple_inhibition here at the forums but my real name is Blair. I'm a 20 year old 91w-10 combat medic in the US Army where I'm currently stationed at lovely Ft Bragg NC. I was born in Youngstown Ohio on September 12, 1985 the first of 3 children. my parents divorced at the age of 9 but I continued to live with my mother until I became 12. I then moved to my fathers house out in the small town of Cortland Ohio. (last I heard there was maybe 10,000 people living there.)

..........Image

During my high school years I played baseball but quickly found something I was better at: singing and acting. I sang in 3 out of the 4 choirs that were available in my school, them being concert choir, men's choir and my favorite of all, the madrigals. (the 4th one was women's choir, so I was disqualified from it ) What made the madrigals special was that you had to try out for it and hope that you were one of the lucky 20 selected out of an average of 200 potential hopefuls. Well I tried out my freshman year and actually managed to get accepted, something unheard of at the time. A freshman getting in the madrigals was a big deal and I was really excited! That first year I sang bass I (lowest vocal part) but over the course of the school year my voice changed into tenor I (highest male vocal part) but what was cool about it was I could still sing bass I if needed. We sang many different music types from the Renaissance period. It was also acapella which is without musical instruments. we sang in many different European languages such as Latin, German, french, Spanish and English. We had many performances around town usually singing for retirement homes and gatherings.

Ultimately it accumulated into the Christmas season where we would go caroling and perform the madrigal dinner. What we did for the madrigal dinner was turn the schools cafeteria into a medieval hall. there would be no electricity (except for the stage lights) so everything was candle lit. We would also dress up in medieval attire and sing and perform just as if it were somewhere in Europe during the Christmas season in the 16th century. It was so much fun and one of the things I miss most about high school.

After I graduated high school I really didn't have any sense of direction. College at that time didn't appeal to me and I didn't want to work while living in my parents basement, so I decided to join the army. You know, to get out in the big world, but still have that sense of a structured environment that I had when I was growing up. I also wanted to do something for someone else other than myself and I figured that in joining I could serve the nation as a whole rather than one or two individuals. I initially had some trouble getting in, during the processing it was discovered that I had high blood pressure ( 2 hours of sleep + 6 cups of highly caffeinated/sugared up coffee + 1 nervous individual = high BP ) so I had to get a doctor back home to take my blood pressure over a weeks time. Well after passing that and getting the medical waiver I was off and running... literally lol. I had to get in shape for basic and I figured that the more I sweated beforehand the less I would during basic. I left for basic training at Ft Leonard wood MO on September 2, 2004. Bade farewell to my family and begun upon the great adventure.

I arrived at basic and yes, it was a culture shock, but not as bad as I had imagined it would have been. I learned my soldier skills and graduated on November 9th, 2004. At the time I thought basic sucked, but after graduation I realized that it was rather fun. I did a ton of stuff I would never have done if I had stayed home. I pushed myself beyond limits I thought I knew and I even made a few friends along the way.

After graduation I took a 23 hour bus ride to Ft Sam Houston located in San Antonio Texas so I could learn my MOS. While down there I fell in love with the city of San Antonio. Most parts are very beautiful, especially the river walk. I spent many hours down there once we were allowed to go off post. The weeks were spent studying, testing and training, but the weekends were a two day party. Lots of stuff to do and see in San Antonio, if you get a chance to go I highly recommend that you do so. You wont be disappointed.

After I graduated I went home and spent some time with my family. They couldn't believe how much weight I had lost or how much food I could eat. I would have to say that my metabolism at that time was the equivalent of a jackrabbit on speed, crack and red bull, of course everyone was happy to see me and it was a great break for me.

I eventually got stationed here at Ft Bragg with the 28th Combat support hospital, however I was tasked out to funeral detail shortly upon my arrival. Being on funeral detail is a big honor to me because I'm part of the honor guard during burial ceremonies of soldiers who have passed away. Its hard work because looks are everything and it takes time to get the timing right during the 21 rifle salute. I currently am ranked number 1 when it comes to the folding of the flag, so I usually get assigned high profile funerals. At first it was intimidating, but I've become used to it.

The worst thing about funeral detail is the travel. Sometimes were in a car for 4, 5 even 6 hours at a time to arrive at our destination. But that negative is easily outweighed by the gratefulness of the relatives at the funerals. They really appreciate the services we provide in honor of their loved ones.

I'm not allowed to have pets here in the barracks, but I have some back home. we have 3 dogs, 3 cats, 1 rabbit, and a multitude of chickens. if I were to choose a favorite out of them all, it would have to be my cat, cloud. Hes an overweight blue hessian without a tail. he lost it when he was hit by a car. He's just one laid back cat and he's very lovable. He doesn't leave me alone when I come home.

......Image

What got you started in folding?

I originally saw the article in the November 05 issue of MaximumPC and thought it was a great idea. I usually left my computer on all day so I figured why not let it do something other than burn electricity. I started Folding Oct 10 2005 and haven't stopped since.

Fortunately my family has been blessed in not having a history of genetic diseases. However due to the habits of some of my family members (smoking and job related) it is a definite possibility. I fold for them, but I also fold for every family out there that has ever had to go through the hardships of one of the many horrible diseases that currently plague mankind. Also this is something that will benefit the future generations to come

As for hobbies, I enjoy gaming, building computers, technology in general. I feel kinda lame admitting this, but I have a myspace account that I use to stay in touch with all of my friends from back home and that Ive met thus far in my army career. I'm a moderator at the hardware logic forums. A few of the maximum pc'ers frequent there and its a really tight knit community. I also am an overflow editor for hardware logic just in case something needs done at any given time.

Well the first computer that ever graced my family's living room was a Compaq 5062 that my father bought for my step mom for mothers day. This beast had a 333mhz AMD K6-II, 64mb of PC100 ram, a 6.4gb quantum fireball hard drive, a 32x CD Rom drive, 8mb integrated ATi Rage graphics and a 56k modem. On the second night the computer was in our home i had just signed off AOL and went to turn the pc off. Well unfortunately it froze, so I went to do a hard boot. Well I held the power button until it turned off. The next day it refused to come on again so my parents sent it in for repairs. Turned out the motherboard died and lucky for me I was the last person to use it so it was my fault, lol. I never was allowed to use that system on my own again, good thing too cause the next thing to go was the psu. That was fun watching my step mom install and go to turn it on only to see that blue streak of flame and then "the smell." My step mom and I still joke about it to this day.

My next foray into computers wasn't as bad. This time the system was my grandmothers Hewlett Packard 6640c, again based off the K6-II. Only this time in the 500mhz flavor. This was the system I learned the most on during my early upgrading years.

The first major upgrade was the installation of two 128mb sticks of pc100 ram. I didn't realize how much force was necessary to install ram and I was afraid I had broken the computer. After a few harrowing moments the system started up and recognized the ram. I had done it! And from then on it just got easier and easier.

The next major upgrade for that system was a new video card. My cousin and I grew tired of the system slowing down when we played our games on it (most notably Microsoft combat flight simulator 2) so we convinced our grandmother to buy a new video card. We ended up getting an ATI Xpert 128 pro with 16mb of ram and again, the task of upgrading fell to me. This time it wasn't as scary but I was still very careful with it. after the installation and all the drivers that system could play most of our games at the settings we wanted.

Eventually the original 15gb hard drive failed and so I was yet again called upon to install it. By this time I was pretty good when it came to working on computers.

That machine was finally retired and its currently sitting in my grandmothers basement. I've been thinking about reviving it when I get home some day. It was a great little system.

.......Image

I personally have two complete systems and a third partially completed pc and they're all named after ships from the matrix.

My main system dubbed the "nebbechadnezzer" has the following:

AMD Athlon 64 3700 San Diego core @ 2.8ghz with a Thermalright XP90
DFI UT Lan Party SLI-DR
2x1024mb G-SKILL Extreme series DDR500
eVGA 7800GT N516 (470/1100)
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Gamer
2x 36GB WD360 Raptors in RAID 0
1x 250GB WD2500JB ATA 100 storage drive
Pioneer DVR108AXL 16x dual layer DVD Burner
Lite On 52x CD-RW
Antec P-160W case
Antec NeoHE 550 psu

My laptop dubbed the "Osiris" has the following:

HP Pavilion ZV 6203cl
AMD Athlon 64 3200 venice core
2x512mb DDR 333
80GB hard drive
8x dual layer DVD burner
integrated ATi Xpress 200m graphics with 128mb dedicated DDR ram
15.4" wide screen

My retro build is dubbed the "Logos"

AMD Duron 1.3ghz
1x 256mb DDR400 ram
Biostar M7VIG400 KT266A motherboard
eVGA 64mb Geforce 2 PRO
300 watt Antec psu
Aspire X-Cruise case

Every chance I get. I wouldn't have it any other way! So far I have built 4 systems for me and my friends. My sister just recently got into gaming so I'm planing on building her a system this summer that will have a strong upgrade base and will do what she needs it to do. I'm also going to build my brother a computer when I get back from deployment, but I think ill try a DIY laptop for him.

I have mentioned my project computer I'm in the process of completing. its a retro circa 2001 gaming system. so far I have a 1.3ghz duron, biostar m7vig400 kt266a mobo, 256mb of ram and a geforce2 pro. Its pretty sweet, but doesn't compare to my buddies retro system. His has a voodoo 5 5500 and a 1ghz slot a athlon.

He even has the t-shirt

I love overclocking. I find it really exciting for some reason. In fact, I'm hoping to upgrade my A64 3700 San Diego to an Opteron 165. Nothing like more overclock ability and folding power!

My first overclocking experience was with my buddies 300mhz K6-II (wow that processor popped up a lot in my early years! lol)

We eventually got it up to 375mhz which was pretty good considering it was done in the bios. (we didn't know jumper settings back then)

The next system I overclocked was my first one I built which was based off an Athlon 64 3200 winchester core. Got it up to 2.5ghz, but it wasn't stable, so I settled with 2.2ghz.

I then rebuilt my system into what I currently have and have been tinkering with it ever since. I've successfully booted into windows at 3ghz, but its not stable. It definitely requires more voltage, but I don't want to push it past 1.6v without water cooling. I'm contemplating the purchase of a Swiftech H2O-120 premium water cooling kit, but I may just hold off until after deployment.

.......Image

Folding of course! But I also game with my computer. I mostly play first person shooters, but I just recently got into Oblivion. I played its predecessor Morrowind, and while it was cool, it was lacking in certain aspects. However Oblivion rectified those deficiencies and is really awesome!

I also use my system to stay in touch with family and friends. Its great to be able to send pictures and other things back and forth between everyone.

Music and movies are another big thing with my system. space is limited here in the barracks so if you can use one thing for many things it proves advantageous. I currently have the loudest speakers in the barracks with my Logitech Z-2300's, I've been yelled at before because it was too loud, lol!

I currently use Time Warner cables Road Runner cable internet and I totally love it! I first discovered it when my friend got it way back in 2002 and was amazed at the fluidity of the online experience it provided. Not just in web browsing, but in games as well. My current upload speed averages about 360kbps and my average download speed is 4810kbps. Thats almost on point to what they told me ( 360kbps up/5000kbps down) also the price isn't too bad either. also I'm pleased with the fact that the service has never been down.

First off let me address Folding. I think that it is a great program to get involved with. Its an easy way to give back to humanity as a whole in this busy world in which a lot of peoples time is spent taking care of their personal agenda. It takes all but a few minutes to install and set up and be off and folding. while you may not have the fastest computer available, every little bit helps and I highly encourage you join. Just imagine one day being able to say "Yes, I was part of the research to help cure X disease." or to raise a family without the fear that one of your children may get a disease. That in itself makes this a worthwhile cause to me and I don't even have any children yet! This is a great folding community to be a part of. There are people here that would go out of their way to help you out. Even for the smallest of things.

I love the MaximumPC forums. Sure people may argue and not get along from time to time, but what family doesn't? We laugh together, we cry together, we mourn others losses, we celebrate others triumphs but mostly we live in this community together. A forum is truly a living breathing thing and every individual contributes to it whether they realize it or not.

Well when I return from the desert I plan on starting a farm. By the time I return quadcore will be available or at least in the near future. My initial goal is top 100 but who knows? Maybe top 10 is in my foreseeable future. I've also noticed that there are many military/former military members here. I think that we could start a MPC Armed forces collective. If your interested PM me so we can work out the details. But the ultimate goal however is to fold until there is no more folding left to do.

Thank you very much for an exceptional SpotLight.
You are an outstanding young man and enjoying life.
I wish I had a handle on things at your age, took me a while longer.
I'm sure everyone on the team wants you back from the desert ASAP.
It's great that you will be able to stay in touch from over there.

Post subject: SpotLight - Number 25 - Doc26
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:28 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

SpotLight on Doc26

Doc26 started folding 7/15/06
points 2765
processors 2/2

EOC Stats Click Here

Lets meet Doc26............... Image

Home is a small town in Oklahoma called Tahlequah because that is where my Dad and Step Mother live. At the moment I am stationed in Virginia but I don’t really enjoy it here. If I had a Choice I would probably go back to Okinawa Japan and live there for a while, but ultimately I would have to go to where my Dad lives. The reason I say this is because family has been instilled in me from a young age. Since they are the only ones we really have in the world.

I do have 5 step children. Peter and Seth that are 16 and twins. Kayla she is 13, Kimber she is 12 and they are both handfuls since they are entering teenage years. And Konnor my youngest son who is 9. I am 26 and my wife Melody is 40. Everyone says that she “robbed the cradleâ€

Post subject: SpotLight - Number 26 - Sneezy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:53 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

SpotLight on Sneezy

Sneezy started folding 5/14/06
points 49,296
processors 10/9
posts 151

EOC Stats Click Here

Congratulations are in order before we proceed.
Sneezy has just made Top500
Nice Folding Sneezy

One last point, the last SpotLight was on Doc26 and this one on Sneezy.
No reference to the seven dwarfs is intended or implied, but if Dopey or Bashful wants to do a SpotLight they will receive preferential treatment with regard to being next.

Now lets meet Sneezy............... Image

Binghamton, NY is home. It's a great place because it's a melting pot for different ethnic groups, religions etc. There are plenty of different things to do and we even have our own observatory. It's tough to be bored here.

I had been wanting to start folding for about a year, I just never got around to it. I would see the mentions in Max PC and I have been a member of the forums for quite a while (summer 2004) so I knew about folding I just never did anything about it until I read another article in Max PC. I made up my mind and installed it on one machine. I have since jumped to 9 active procs.

Sneezy sent me an addition for his SpotLight.
I want to thank him for sharing this personal part of his life with us.

I hadn't really thought about it until after I started folding but I have added machines because of it.

My mom died of colon cancer when she was 56. That will be 10 years this September. It also happens to be our 10 year wedding anniversary.

My mom had been having some health problems while she was going back to college to get her masters degree in teaching. She went to our family doctor and he tried a few different things. What worked was what he was afraid of. Benadryl. Why, it relaxes the colon some and she felt better. He sent her to a cancer specialist and they did the tests. It turned out she was in stage 3 which is not very curable.

She had surgery and chemo etc. She felt like hell and decided (with my dad) that since she was not getting better that she would stop all treatments and live out her life feeling better than she felt being on all the meds. About that time they did find out it had gotten worse. It was a tough decision but one that I stood by and admired them for making.

My dad had researched all kinds of things and they had a few experimental treatments done. Unfortunately the didn't help enough though they did slow it down some. The doctors even agreed with the decision.

So my dad & I took turns driving her to Albany NY (I was working for him then too as I do now) so she could complete her degree. I'll be damned because she did it too! I still have her diploma .

The whole time she didn't feel really bad but I could tell it was wearing on her but she still looked great.

She spent a lot of time with family, grandkids and friends and looking forward to our wedding. I agree 100% with them.

She made it to the wedding and had the time of her life. She looked great too. My uncle made it up from Florida with his wife so they could see her. My aunt had just gotten out of the hospital 2 days before.

We had a party at our house afterwards to open gifts. She could not make it over and we didn't want to take everything to their house and plus had been drinking too so traveling was out for us.

We left the next day for Hawaii and I had called my dad from Chicago to see how she was. She had gone down hill fast. I was ready to turn around and fly home but my dad insisted we go anyway and that she wanted us to go.
She died on September 19th 1996, 5 days after we got married. We flew home the next day as we could not get a flight out with the 8 hour time difference.

Many people think the only reason she lived so long after deciding to stop treatment was because she wanted to be at our wedding.

My only regret is she never got to be around for our kids.

My mom loved life and had always lived it to the fullest. She was always kind to other people and was never selfish. In short she was the type of person we all should be (including myself).

She wanted her body donated to science and we did just that. I still have her remains at home. When I'm feeling punchy, I grab the box and sit down and talk to her. I think I need to do that again soon!

No regrets, that's how I want to live my life.

Don't be sad for me that she's gone but be happy because I know God has taken her to a better place. Be happy because I always remember the good times. She was always my best friend while I grew up but at the same time didn't take any crap from me either.

Fold Til a Cure

My big hobby is my 2000 Trans Am Firehawk. My favorite hobby is brewing beer! The beer I brew the most is an American Honey Wheat and it's a favorite among my friends. I also brew a killer Maple Wheat for Christmas. When the sky is clear and I'm not tired from chasing my kids and wife around I pull out my telescope and gaze at the stars.

Can someone please tell me what this computer thing is you speak of? LOL. My dad has been programming for years so I naturally had a computer at home long before most people. I have always been comfortable with them and after losing my job as an auto mechanic I started working for my dad in 91. I've been programming ever since. I'm self taught in most of my knowledge.

My main computer is a Dell Dimension 9150 PD 3 gighz with a gig of ram and 2 250 gig sata drives in mirror raid plus a 400 gig sata storage drive. I can't forget the 24 Dell WFP either!

My secondary machine is a P4 3 ghz with a gig of ram with a 200 gig main drive and a 250 gig hot swappable backup drive that is a backup drive from my office (I use 2 for that) and a 400 gig storage that I copy all of my daily backups to.

Both machines are hardwired into my gigabyte lan. (my house is hardwired to most rooms with gigabit)

I used to build my machines but since I have so little time I've been buying Dell's and have no complaints. I simply reformat them as soon as I unpack them. I've built well over 100 machines, but stopped counting at 100.

Nope!

Surfing web forums, email , digital pictures and of course folding! I game when I get the chance but it's not often. I also use it for work and logging into my web servers for maintenance etc. My wife uses it for our digital pictures and for creating home movies of our kids so she can burn DVD's and send them to family members.

I have road runner which is fine when it works. The have problems keeping a reliable signal into my house. My house has been completely re-wired and I have new drops from the pole and still have problems. I've been through 5 or 6 cable modems and ended up pleading for an old used Motorola surfboard which has been more reliable than anything else. My signal usually drops a few times a week at night. They have no explanation except that my area is the worst for TV and RR. I dropped my cable TV because it was so bad. My DishTV is way better!!!! Adding a battery backup to my network equipment and cable modem did make a big difference but I still have problems. I experience frequent slow downs before the drop outs.

I like folding for Max PC because everyone is very friendly and helpful. You post a question and can usually get a quick reply without an attitude (I suppose Spider Monkey doesn't count for that LOL)

My plans are to keep folding and hope for the top 100. I'm pretty much maxed out already on processors so adding more won't happen unless I win that shiny new PC with my name on it!

Thanks Sneezy for a great SpotLight.
Your posts are an inspiration at times and always entertaining the rest of the time.
You do a great job of making the forum more interesting for all of us.
Your enthusiam for folding is addictive to the rest of us.
Of course your interest in beer is of never ending interest to many of us (GM, TW, and Tuathal may head the list).
Two entries in the current contest.
You do it all for the team, thank you.

Post subject: SpotLight - Number 27 - Mobiledude
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:24 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

SpotLight on mobiledude

mobiledude started folding 05/25/06
points 24307
processors 4/4
posts 266

EOC Stats Click Here

Lets meet mobiledude............... Image

Home will always be Texas, but I have not lived there since July '95. Three years in Tampa and now we've been in the Philadelphia area since '98. I always dreamed of living in Philly, but that had something to do with being a huge Dr. J fanatic. The main thing I like about living up north is the texture of the seasons and landscape. Face it, Texas (and Tampa for that matter) have two seasons - Summer and Almost-Summer. We really enjoy the blizzards that shut the area down for a couple of days each year when we can stay indoors with the family without any outside interruptions.

Used to do SETI early on, back in '99, but became a bit bored with it. I saw the Folding short blurbs in
the magazine (been reading since the 'How to build' article that was in the industrial/foundry
environment - '98 I think) and finally decided this year to get on board.

Where are you employed?

I work for a rugged computer manufacturer as a System Engineer but spend most of my time in a sales role.
We make auto data collection devices that you would find in warehouses, forklifts, delivery vehicles,
field service, etc. Anywhere a rugged environment requires a robust device. As for travel, well, I've been in every metro area in the US except Anchorage, throughout Europe, and spent months in Mexico.
Travel isn't much fun anymore since '01 but also I'd rather stay at home with our children.

I've always adopted an approach that I wanted to learn how to do everything. Sort of a jack of all
trades; expert at none. When I used to travel extensively, I always enjoyed asking my local contacts
what I could do that was unique to the area. Ever gone candle-pin bowling underneath Fenway Park? How
about play 16" softball in Chicago? My thought was I wanted to be able to participate in anything that
every came up be it golf, sailing, scuba, etc. Don't get to do it much anymore but when the opportunity
arises, I'm ready!

Our big hobby now is one that allows the family to participate together. We have a competition BBQ team
and do charity events in our area. Not to brag, but we are the current Pennsylvania State BBQ Champions
(which is about as important as the Iowa SaltWater Fisherman of the Year, I suppose). Most of our
charity events are for wounded soldiers and local first responders. We are currently planning a 100th
Anniversary event for our local FD in '08.
My other main interest is Home Theater. We just finished our room and enjoy it with the kids more than
we ever imagined. Even Cinderella for the 30th time is enjoyable when it's at 110" with a Sony Cineza
51a projector. Audio is supplied by an NAD T773 amp and Monitor Audio Silver RS 5.1 speakers. I'm
looking to build a 1u media server later this year to fill out the Middle Atlantic rack system.

I grew up in the boonies down in South Texas. Not a whole lot of computing power in the entire county back when I saw my first Apple IIe and a 'network' of TRS-80 Model IIIs with a Model IV 'server.' My mother was playing in a crossword contest that used all the five letter words in the current Webster dictionary with different points per letter used. Needless to say, $tring functions are your friends. I had the answers for her the next morning. I was hooked.

First comp was a C64/1541 later that year and I became the best sprite programmer in Calhoun County (the only one, actually).

I wrote a simple surfing game using collision detection and thought I might want to be a programmer.

Skip to college, and let's say that women and beer were more interesting than weekends on a VAX. I took an engineering route but always stayed close to computers as I found a way to make color slides and transparencies off of the mainframes which made my 'lacking' college work at least look great compared to everyone else's b/w copies. Glad I did because I learned more messing with computers on the side than I did in both undergrad and grad degrees.

I owe a lot to the BBS scene in college. It was such a speed rush when I swapped out my 300baud for that HP1200baud modem.

Building my first board (RemoteAccess) was a rush. You could really see where it was all going when FidoNet came out. Wing Commander was my first 'WOW' moment when it came to PC gaming. Prior to that about the best we had was text-based Star Trek on the VAX.

*Dell 610 due to be upgraded on the next corporate go round
*AMD 2100+ used to be the gaming box but has since become my browser/PS sand box
*AMD 1800+ not actually running but could if I gave it an hour
*AMD 3000+ Sempron used to drive my wife's Bernina 200e sewing embroidery machine

Haven't built a box since the 2100+ a few years back. I was always loyal AMD/ATi, but these new Intel
chips have me set to build a 6600/7900 box by year's end.

Heh - haven't done that since the old Cellie 300A...

Browsing, Photoshop, and games. We also do the finances and embroidery digitizing occasionally.

Currently using Comcast Business 7down 2up with 5 IPs. Comcast isn't bad, but we've got FIOS in our area
which I expect to get later this fall. I'll probably keep both for a period to compare. The real kicker
is going to be Verizon's FIOS IPtv offering. If they meet (and I expect beat) Comcast's HD offerings,
we're switching over.

I enjoy the willingness of people to welcome new folders and take an active interest in making their
entry into the hobby as successful as possible. As with all groups, there is a perceived barrier to
entry including learning the basics, the lay of the land, and general stuff. MaxPC has been a relatively
easy group to join as shown by the increase in active folders with each magazine issue mention.

My original goal was Top500 by 12/31/06, however since I added a new box (my wife's laptop), that goal
needs to be updated. I expect Top400 now and will try to break 300 if that Intel Duo comes to life.

SLD - wish I could have kept up with you.
Clint_Miles - I will catch you and soon.
Brian_h - I haven't forgotten about you, either.
Veridor - it's been fun, but I think I've finally shaken you off.
MDSponseller - likewise, but I hope you guys get back into the race.
jimyann - yeah, I see you, but at the current rate it's going to take you 430 days. Good luck!
Panzercat - 1,183ppd - can I draft off of you?

mobiledude thanks for a great SpotLight.
You have a great family and lots of fun with them.
Your barbecue activities are really interesting and the groups you do them for are very lucky to have you show up.
It's difficult to look at those pictures and not have a plan for what you want for dinner.
Cinderella for the 30th time, not sure. I might try Netflix or Blockbuster by mail for something new.
For me it was Bill Cosby and Picture Pages (over and over and over again).
Enjoy folding and together we will help rid the world of several of it's worst health problems.

Post subject: SpotLight - Number 28 - Whitecree
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:49 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

SpotLight on Whitecree

Whitecree started folding 7/26/05
points 11,060
processors 1/1
posts 5131

Lets meet Whitecree............... Image

I live in a teeny tiny little 1st nations village of Kitamaat, population maybe 1K. The name Kitamaat means something like people or land of snow. Historically, the name truly fit. My wife was a teenager here in the 70s when there was something like 24 feet of snow fell in about 3 days. At that, the Elders of the time called that a medium snow fall. The last few winters, though, the worst we saw was 4 feet overnight.

The Village is located outside of the town of Kitimat. Note the difference in spelling. The town fathers spelled it differently because - well - they're stupid. We have most of the usual services available, although it can be tricky getting in to see a dentist. But nobody really wants to see a dentist, so this likely doesn't matter that much. The selection of various goods isn't all that great, but we have a WallyWorld about a 45 minute drive further up the road. A real treat, no?

I have 3 grown kids, 1 grandson, 1 dog, 3 cats, and a pond full of goldfish and koi. My eldest son is a teacher at the local community school, 2nd son works security at the hospital and one of the docks, daughter - the youngest - works at driving her dad nuts. Grandson works at keeping a smile on his grand-dad's face.

The dog is named Taz, as in Tazmanian Devil (from bugs bunny, anybody remember him?) Oddly enough, the dog's personality isn't at all like the Taz on Saturday morning cartoons. He's a husky/Shepard/wolf cross and poppa to most of the current generation of dogs here on the Rez. So laid back that if a burglar came calling, the dog would not only hold the door open for the thief, but gently remind the burglar of the whereabouts of the safe, the firearms rack, and my personal stash.

Cats are named Misty, Kitty, and Da-oon. I've absolutely forbidden anybody to try to name the fish.

See why I dislike cameras (Whitecree himself)

My wife and our grandson

Whitecree's Daughter

Kitty what a name for a cat (the Shop Safety Boss)

Old Momma cat

My ferocious guard dog

Backdoor view. There isn't another housing development over the hill.
Just miles and miles of trees.

A neighbor

I walk down to the bay - about two blocks - and what do I see ...

Why do I fold? When I started - and I don't mean to come off sounding holier-than-thou - it just seemed the thing to do that any thinking, responsible adult would do. There is some cancer in my family - several uncles/aunts/cousins have all died of it, and that may have motivated me to some extent, but it just seemed like the right thing to do. Since then, I've found out I have that age-old triple threat of type 2 diabetes. All you couch potatoes, take heed!

Where are you employed?

I am sort of semi-retired at the moment. Or under-employed, or part-time fresh-air inspector or however else you'd like to think of it. Until a year or two ago, I drove a cab part-time for about 60 hours per week. Full time hours can run as much as twice that. Wanna bitch about your 9 to 5 grind?

Driving cab sort of got under my skin at a young age. I drove taxi for almost 30 years in one town or another. I've had other jobs - often at the same time as cab driving - but always found the driving to be most interesting. Hmmm, maybe temper that thought with the Chinese "blessing" of 'may you live in interesting times'.

In my 30 years behind the wheel, I was almost robbed 3 times, almost beat senseless a dozen or more times, almost killed one way or another at least 6 other times. I also don't win much of anything on lotteries, but it seems to balance out so I'm not going to complain.

During that time, I really wish I'd had a video camera handy. The things that some people get up to in your back seat. My favorite incident(s) of recent years involved a couple of gals I call the Slurpy Sisters. I won;t go into any detail as I think the powers-that-be want to keep their family rating, but suffice to say they'd both jump in the back seat with their current boyfriend(s), and before the cab had gone more than a block, I'd hear zzzzzzzzip! and then the sounds of a somebody working on an extra-large milkshake with a partially blocked straw.

It's also too bad a fella couldn't legitimately keep the things he finds. Oh, the unmarked coin & cash was mine, obviously, but I also found over the years (and in various towns) everything from apples to rotten fish, sacks of cash to sawed off shotguns, condoms of suspicious powder, junkies' "works" as well as - in the last decade or so - various and sundry computer parts.

The sack of cash, by the way, turned out to be counterfeit. About $200,000 in fifties about the time Canuckastan changed the look of the fifty. Cops grilled me for a couple of hours over that, which seemed unfair. I didn't print the silly stuff or try to spend it. I just found it. Sheesh! This was fairly early in my cab driving career. In the years to follow, any time I found something like that, I'd bag it, write a short note, then leave it anonymously on the doorstep of the local cop shop, or maybe on the hood of a cruiser parked at the local dunkin' donut. I really don't mind helping 'the boys' out where I can, but when they start eating into my earning time - well, the heck with it.

Every now and again, while driving a cab, you get to do something good that makes up for all the bad. A decade or so ago when I was newly come to the current burg I live in, I was working the graveyard shift. A woman calls in about 4:am, and frantically screams she needs a taxi RIGHT NOW!!! Normally, I ignore callers like that and take my time getting there. The normal "emergency" most callers have is they ran out of smokes or booze and need to get to their supplier. But, as luck would have it, I had just dropped my last passenger off maybe 2 blocks away, so I picked her up almost RIGHT NOW!!! As soon as she got in the cab, I saw why she was frantic. She was carrying her maybe 6 month old baby, and the baby was just as blue as the sky. I blew every stop sign and took most corners on 2 wheels getting her to the emergency.

Once inside, the woman had to get past the nazi-esque night nurse who was refusing to call a doctor in, no matter what. I could see through the glass doors the woman was having a hard time with the old battle-axe, so I went in to offer my services. I wound up calling my own doctor since I didn't know which one was on call that night. He grumped and growled and swore he'd do something rather terrible to me if this was a joke of some sort, but he came on in, and pretty quickly at that. He took one look at the baby - who I don't think had taken a single breath in several minutes and roused half the medical staff in nothing flat. The baby lived, the mother was happy, the old battle-axe of a nurse vanished - I mean, really vanished. Never saw her in town again - and all was a happy ending. Pity I forgot to turn the meter on.

A body doesn't live on computers and folding alone. No, really. He doesn't.

I'm serious, there are other things in life.

Gawd-dammit, I mean it! Will you stop giggling at me?

As some or most of you may know, I like to carve wood. I carve - mostly - in what is known as west coast (1st nations) style. I got started on that through drawing and painting the same thing shortly after I married my wife, who is a member of a 1st nation in north-coastal BC. She was doodling a picture of her clan emblem - a Killer Whale (I've since learned a gentler name for these awesome critters, Blackfish) and I said that it looked easy. My wife finds it hard not to challenge me when I stick my foot in my mouth, so she said I should try it. Y'know, it really isn't as easy as it looks. It's also addictive. That was back in about 1979-80. Then in 1993, I helped an octogenarian Clan Chief build a 42 foot dugout canoe so the local youth could paddle 130 miles to Bella Bella to take part in Qatwas (got wahs). This was a revival of an old custom whereby many small communities would all gather every few years to trade, feast, and have the youngsters meet each other. Ever hear of Rendezvous? Same idea.

Anyway, working on the canoe got me started on carving, first a paddle, then a bailer, a spoon, masks, bowls, placks, small model canoes, ceremonial gear and on and on.

Raven Plack Stained - Almost identical design to the other Raven Plack, but stained instead.
Raven Feather - Many carvers like to carve bird feathers, so I carved a bird in a feather.
A raven to be exact.
Raven Plack - A raven plack, painted and ready to go. Raven's are a recurring theme with me.
Thunderbird and Blackfish - Thunderbirds eat blackfish. They carried immense lightening snakes with which to stun the whale, then descend to eat.
Thunder was caused whenever the T-bird beat his wings together, and I already mentioned where lightening came from.
Snowman - I also get whimsical with my carvings. Go ahead, toss a snowball...
FishFight - The on that didn't get away. Ask any fisherman, they always have a story about the big one that got away. Well. I know of a couple of guys who wish the big one had got away. Ask me nice someday, I might tell you the story.
Raven Dancer - During the winter ceremonies of yesteryear, one of the more important dances was a Raven Dance. Here's the dancer just ready to begin.
Bukwis - A Bukwis or wild man mask. Another long story.

I first learned what a computer was through reading science fiction. An old Tom Swift novel where he spoke of a computing machine. upon reflection, I believe he was talking about nothing more than a common calculator. Keep in mind, though, that the story was written at a time when many people still used a slide rule for heavy duty computational needs.

Then I saw a movie called Colossus: The Forbin Project, where some people build a computer to run their defense systems, it links up with a Russian version of same, the two computers unite to rule the world. Sort of like a more pleasant version of Skynet from the Terminator movies. That did it. I was hooked. Reading about the realities such as ENIAC and their ilk did nothing to dampen my enthusiasm..

My current system is getting rather long in the tooth, but it still serves my needs. I have a Soyo (grrr) Dragon plus mobo running a Celeron 2 GHZ, 3x256 MB ram, dialup ( ) firewire, ATI Radeon 9200 8x AGP, Pioneer 16x DVD(+/-)/CD combo writer, 2 Maxtor DD, 40GB I use for system stuff, 80GB for storage. I also have a Plextor MX402U video capture gadget, and rigged up an old phonograph and amplifier to play and capture old LPs onto CD. This all takes place in an old Seanix mini-case.

Number 1 is how it normally looks - yes, with a sidecover off. I'm always fiddling around.
Number 2, 3 and 4 - How it looks now. I just put a P4 2.4 in to replace the Cel 2.0, then added a dashboard that gives me a pair of USB2 ports and a microphone/headset plug. Unfortunately, there isn't a header off my mobo to accept this, and the sound is built in. Oh well, at least I got a couple more USB plugs (6 so far, maybe more to come). :roll:

I built this current machine myself, taking the stock Seanix (2nd hand) and replacing everything over a year's time. The only thing left original is the floppy and some of the screws.

I don't bother with overclocking. Maybe with my next build - some sort of AMD dual core setup - I'll look into it a bit, but I figure computer machinery is like most other kinds of machinery. Sure, you can push it harder and harder, but most machinery works best - and longest - at about 75-90% of maximum.

I use my system for just about everything a computer can be used for.

- gaming (of course!)
- photo editing
- video editing
- writing/printing letters/forms
- watching movies (sometimes)
- listening to tunes (sometimes)
- messing about with new designs for carving
- prison cell for small kittens (don't ask)

Now, here's a funny thing. In this list of questions gsmitheman provides as a guideline to help get all this down, he asks "what broadband do I use?"

Heh, what's that? In my immediate area, there ain't no such thing. At least, as of right now. There is supposedly a glassline being run over from the node in town, but I'm betting IF it ever gets here, by the time all is said and done, it won't be much faster than my current dialup speeds of 36 - 50 KBS. I have considered a dedicated satellite setup, but it costs an arm and a leg to buy the equipment, and you have to lock into a 3 year contract for I think it is $60 a month. Now, just how badly does Whitecree want broadband?

I came to the MPC forums after lurking a great deal when MPC was primarily hosted elsewhere. I liked the idea that a long-time in existence computer magazine had a forum, but I didn't care for a lot of what I was seeing, so I'd pick through the various sub-forums looking for info, and just ignored everything else. When MPC built their own forum site, I lurked for a few months longer, waiting to see if any of the major bozos would show up. So far, not so bad.

I started folding about this time, something I'd considered for some time, and got to thinking that if some of the "elite" that hung around on MPC were folding, maybe it was time to get going. So, in a way, MPC convinced me to fold.

I'll keep folding and encouraging others to download the software to fold. Where ever possible, I'll build it into any system I revamp or build, and explain the whys and wherefores at the same time. I figure that if we (the world) managed to untangle the human genome - in part because of volunteer efforts such as folding is - then just maybe, someday, we'll be able to lick some of these ridiculous diseases we are prone to.

Whitecree thanks for a great SpotLight.
You are a great writer, carver and an expert at enjoying life.
Thanks for letting us take a good look at that life in progress.
Thanks very much for folding with us also.
Please scratch Taz's head for me and tell him I was asking about him.

Post subject: SpotLight - Number 29 - Sovereign
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:24 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

SpotLight on Sovereign

Sovereign started folding 2/24/05
points 35,523
processors 10/7
posts 2138

Lets meet Sovereign............... Image

Glen Ellyn is a small suburb of Chicago, totaling some 27000 residents all told. I like the “boringnessâ€

Post subject: SpotLight - Number 30 - mjacoby2
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:53 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

SpotLight on mjacoby2

mjacoby2 started folding 6/2/06
points 1,607,852
processors 178/151
posts 104

Lets meet mjacoby2............... Image

Greetings to all my friends in the MPC Forum, my name is Matthew A. Jacoby. Although Matt is my first name, I go by my middle name, Aaron. Today, I call Old Towne Orange my home city (which is close to Anaheim Stadium to give you proximity.) I grew up in Pico Rivera (1973-1994), CA (a small sub. of Los Angeles County) and moved to Orange, CA in 1994, where I currently reside with my wife and our 4 children. Old Towne Orange is also home to Chapman University and the Orange Circle, host of the International Street Fair every September. I've included pics for your viewing pleasure :)

Mom and Dad when they were younger

MJ with Dad and Grandma

TC3Driver got me started "folding" in June of this year (2006) during a routine "upgrade" visit to my work. In addition to "Folding" for a good cause, I like the competition aspect against the other Folding Teams. Lastly, I really enjoy reading all the posts/discussions in the Forum. I promise to fold for MPC until "death do we part." :)

Where are you employed?

As mentioned in my prior posts, I am currently employed as an I.T. Manager for an automotive group in So. Cal. (Los Angeles and Orange County) I would, however, like to start my own business "in the field" sometime next year. Over the past decade (and then some), I've done tech support, technical writing, software programming, network engineering, and QC. Out of high school, I was deathly afraid of computers, had NO IDEA what I wanted to do for a living, didn't care too much for college, and later decided to join the marines. During this time period, I was working at a warehouse in the lumber yard when fate stepped in... It was July 29, 1992, and I was cutting 2x4s with a 22" suspended radial-arm saw... 15 minutes before my shift was up, the suspension spring had broken, causing the saw to shoot forward and injured my right hand. Without going in to details, it severed my right index finger and thumb. After the surgeries and time of recovery, I no longer qualified to become a U.S. marine. Instead, worker's comp. sent me to retraining in Anaheim, CA to be a computer operator. I fell in love with the "Technology Industry" and haven't looked back. My 2 fingers were re-attached, but I have limited use of them, as a result of permanent nerve and joint damage. I've included a pic that shows my hand today...

My other hobbies/interests include track & field, swimming, playing softball and basketball (including participating in Fantasy Sports Leagues), watching movies (mostly comedies), playing board games, solving math problems and word games, and MOST importantly...spending time with my family (walking around the city, playing in the park, taking pictures, visiting the amusement parks, going to ball games and monster truck shows, etc.)

Youth Group

My laptop is a an HP/Compaq NX7010, 1.6GHz with 1.5GB RAM. My desktop is a Customized Sony Vaio Tower, 3GHz with 2GB RAM.

I do build computers today, but not for myself. I generally put together systems for other people, based on what they will be using them for (Games, Apps, Programming, Multimedia, etc.) Some just want a basic PC to browse the Internet and utilize email.

Unfortunately, I do not currently overclock any machines, but have a rising interest in doing so. Thanks to the forum details, I will attempt "OC"ing using a few 2.4GHz eMachines in the lab.

My broadband provider is Time Warner Cable. I am EXTREMELY happy with their service and have been for the last 10 years. I currently surf at 5-7Mbps and have yet to experience any problems or performance issues with my Internet Connection. In addition to their Internet, I also use Time Warner's Digital Phone service and HD Digital Television.

Here's what I like about "Folding and the MPC Forum": Checking Everyone's Stats and Milestones, reading these Spotlights (thanks to GSMITHEMAN who does an AWESOME JOB!!), and referencing all the GREAT information that our forum has to offer. In addition, I like the competition AND encouragement of all of our team members and feel like I'm a part of a GREAT community that will conitnue to grow and make a difference in this world. To sum it up...it's FUN!!

As mentioned earlier, I plan to continue folding for MPC. My realistic goal is to hit 10 million points sometime during 2007. Based on the "User Future" calculator, I should be able to get there by October/November '07 using my current setup. I do plan to recruit and promote folding and explain its purpose to each of the companies I add as clients...once my business gets off the ground early next year. In closing, I want to thank you all for your time AND thank you all for the opportunity to fold for MPC. I'm extremely happy and proud to be a part of your team! Happy Upcoming Holidays to you all...

-Aaron (mjacoby2)

mjacoby2 thanks for a great SpotLight.
You have a great looking family and obviously enjoy them very much.
We all appreciate having a super folder on the team (even Six who you pushed right out of first place).
I hope we find someone to give you a little of the competition you thrive on.
Fabulous job of folding and a sincere thanks from -G

Post subject: SpotLight - Number 31 - Satchboy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:18 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

SpotLight on Satchboy

Satchboy started folding 8/03/04
points 51,393
processors 1/1
posts 2523

Lets meet Satchboy............... Image

I live in Windsor, Ontario, Canada. It's right across the border from Detroit, Michigan. I like living here because it is big enough to have a lot of variety but it's not too big. It is also within driving distance from Detroit and Toronto if I do require a big city entertainment or services.
Winters in Windsor are very mild. There isn't a lot of snow but since we are near the great lakes the wind is humid so it feels colder than it really is sometimes. I used to live much further north in a city called Timmins. Winters there has lots of snow. Snowbanks could get as high as 3 feet depending on how many days in a row it had snowed. -20C and -30C days during the winter were not uncommon when I lived there.

I am 35 years old and I have two brothers. My brother Michael lives here in Windsor as well and he is a computer programmer. My Brother Julian lives in Ottawa and is an electronics technologist.
I don't have any pets. But if I did have a pet it would be a dog.

This is a picture of the Detroit River. Detroit is on the left (west) side of the river and Windsor is on the right (east).

This is a picture of me and my two brothers. From left to right: Julian, Tony (Satchboy) and Michael.

This a head shot of me. (obvious I know)

Years ago I was doing the Seti@Home thing but when I found out about Folding@Home on the MaxPC forums it made more sense to switch to that since it was going to get quicker or more important results.

Where are you employed?

I have a diploma in computer programming but I'm currently looking for something different to do.

As far as what I'd like to do in Hollywood I would love to work for Industrial Light and Magic or Skywalker Sound. Dream jobs yes but I fool around with video, graphics and audio/music so all I'm really missing is the proper training.

Playing guitar is my main hobby. I have been playing for about 20 years. To hear some of my songs go to www.geocities.com/Satchboy71 . I'm currently not in a band but continue to create solo material. My favourite artists/bands are Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Pink Floyd, Rush, Dream Theater, Metallica and U2.

I love everything to do with movies. I'm the guy that actually watches the bonus material, especially the behind the scenes footage, on DVDs. I'd love to work in Hollywood in any field. I once worked in a video store as a supervisor and had enough free rentals that I could watch 2 movies everyday and I did! My favourite movies in no particular order are: Princess Bride, The Original Star Wars Trilogy (I have Vader's mask and lightsaber), The Matrix (not so much the sequels), Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, The Godfather (of course) and This is Spinal Tap.

I'm also learning Chinese. I am teaching myself with the hopes of getting lessons as soon as I can afford them. I'm also learning how to do Chinese calligraphy. Windsor has a large Chinese population so I have tons of opportunities to practice my Chinese.
I'm studying the Mandarin form of Chinese.

I went to school for architectural drafting but then switched to computers after noticing that I was spending more time on the computers rather than on the drafting table.
And I kinda stumbled onto graphics design as a hobby. I've always liked to manipulate pictures to make them funny or interesting. I created a few skins for Winamp in it's heyday. If anyone remembers I did a few skins for EMIII as well.
I mainly use Paint Shop Pro X for my graphics design work. Thanks to Blondie, who sent me some magazines on 3D Art, I've started to do some work in 3D Studio. I used that program to design the MaximumPC T-Shirts.

This is me with my first guitar when I was around 9 or 10 years old.

This is my current guitar, a Fender HM Strat, that I've had for the last 15 years or so.

This is my real name, Tony, in Chinese. I did this with my own Chinese calligraphy set.

I've been using computers for most of my life. When I was around 9 or 10 I was introduced to the Commodore PET. It had the BASIC programming language and that was the first time I started programming computers. Then came the Commodore Vic-20 and 64 computers which just kept my interest in going. Then in high school I was finally introduced to the PC.

I'm currently using:
AMD 2500+ @ 2.2GHz
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo
1 GB of PC3200 RAM
ASUS 6800 512MB video card
WD 160 GB hard drive
HP DVD-RW
Nokia 21" CRT

Yes I have been building my own computers for the last 10 years or so. My first build was an AMD 400MHz machine that I gradually upgraded as the years went by.

Yes I overclock but not to any extremes. I'll overclock the cpu but only the videocard if it will have a significant gain.

I mainly use my computer for gaming, music recording, graphics editing/creation and surfing MaximumPC forums.

I use Cogeco's high speed Cable Internet service. I've had no problems with them and my speeds usually are in the 600-700 KB/s range.

I like the great team spirit MaximumPC folding has. Everyone is always cheering each other on. I also like the fact that it doesn't matter how many computers you have folding everyone is treated as an important part of the team.

I'm on the verge of getting into the Top500. Once I upgrade my machine I'll use the older parts to create another folding rig. I don't have any specific goals like getting into the Top 100 but as I get more resources I'll add them to the mix and become a more productive folder.

Satchboy Thanks for all the great graphics work you do for the team.
It makes it better for everyone that participates.
I hope you get your dream job in Hollywood.
Let me know when it happens, I want to watch for your name in the credits.
Whenever you do get that dog, I recommend a healthy mixed breed from the pound.
Thanks for doing a great SpotLight and folding for our great team.

Post subject: SpotLight - Number 32 - John_551
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:13 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

SpotLight on John_551

John_551 started folding 9/3/06
points 51,022
processors 16/13
posts 8

Lets meet John_551............... Image

My name is John ter Haar (like my mail EVER comes with my name spelled correctly) I'm 36 and live in a small city in Ontario called Belleville. Belleville is about 90 minutes east of Toronto, and has a population of about 50K. It's a nice city, clean and very progressive. I'm happy I live here and have a job in my field that didn't require moving to Toronto or Ottawa. I have lived in Ottawa for a number of years, if you don't like politics, stay away! My mother and step father both live in Ottawa at the present time.

My father and step mother live in the same city as me, Belleville, and I see them on a regular basis. My father is FOREVER calling me to fix his computer, because he did something dumb, most of the time not reading the screen!

I have 2 sisters and 2 brothers. My oldest sister lives in Raleigh NC, she is a doctor and my bother in law is an engineer with IBM in Raleigh.
My youngest sister is in Buffalo in university on a swimming scholarship. She is very good at swimming, hence the free ride!

My one brother is an insurance agent in Belleville, and he takes care of all my insurance needs and investments, this brother is VERY responsible! My other brother is a rep for a UNV United Vinters and Distillers and looks after all of Ontario.

As for me, well I'm married (2nd marriage, got married too young and for the wrong reasons), my wife's name is Julie and she runs a dry cleaning factory and oversees 10 stores. She is really busy most of the time, as some people need constant babysitting. I also have a 16 year old son (Greg), he is in grade 11 and is in all honesty a good kid, and not a nerd! He is very sports minded and lives with his mother, which is just around the corner from me. So I see him a lot, he also makes me very proud, good at school and sports, very well rounded.

In my house I have two cats, a black one named Buster and an Orange one named Muzbie. Buster is the intelligent one, and Muzbie is as dumb as a post, seriously. His name Muzbie came from I must be crazy to have another fu&**ng cat! My neighbor brought over a stray one night and my bleeding heart wife wouldn't let it back out, so needless to say his home is my home.

Taken Oct 7/2006 while in Holland. I'm not sure if this is a dutch custom or not, but everyone had their pic taken holding this pink frame. This is Julie and I, it was my Aunt and Uncles 50th anniversary, what a party! Full 7 course meal, all the stops were pulled on this!

Again taken at the same party. This is my father, Julie and I. I am first generation Canadian, my father was born over there. So I come from a family of immigrants!

Taken Oct 11/06. This is my great aunt (Reke) and great uncle (Garret). Julie and I were staying at their house in Holland for two weeks. These people are in FANTASTIC shape! You have no idea! Garrett bikes about 60km a day and it takes him two hours, oh did I mention he's 84! You couldn't have better relatives than them, I love them to death!

This was taken in the summer time of 06. This is my son Greg, well actually Gregory. I don't think anyone ever calls him by his full name! This is the worst part of diving, getting the dam wet suit on! You can tell he looks impressed by me taking his picture. You know teenagers, at 16 he's pretty concerned with how people see him!

Typical of cats. anywhere you put something, they have to be there. I'm not sure but it looks like Muzbie is laughing, he must have farted or something!

I’ve been reading the magazine for a number of years, and of course have a subscription! Well I’ve been to the forums many times, and looked around and read, never really participated. This f@h caught my eye, so I started reading the forums and it seemed like a good cause. I didn’t join for health reasons or family, I just thought, I have many computers running 24/7 with wasted cycles, why not put that wasted time to good use. My attitude is if the machine is on 24/7 it might as well be doing some type of work, instead of sitting there like a paper weight!

Where are you employed?

My work, well I work at a company called Magic Wardrobe. I enjoy my job very much, I get to travel to places others can only think of. I am an electrical engineering technologist. I've been to Japan, Europe and of course the USA many times! My company is a very progressive company for what we do, we are on the cutting edge of the 24 hour pick up and retrieval system. It's hard to explain really what I do, I suggest you look at the website and you can see for yourself! All of our systems are based on Linux, anything to keep the costs down and I maintain the systems, and of course build and program. I like Linux a little better due to the flexibility of the OS, easier to manipulate it for your own needs.

As for hobbies, my wife, son and I are all certified scuba divers and we dive on a regular basis. We try to get out any chance we get, it is a very enjoyable and very relaxing. So peaceful, I thought I would never say that in my lifetime but here I am saying it! Since my son got certified for diving he is perusing a career in underwater welding, he's seen how much money he can make, and he enjoys diving, so he will be doing that. Good thing, he'll be my retirement package! Of course as a Canadian, hockey is right up there, I am a goalie and try to play a few times a week with the guys.

My wife and I like to travel as well, we were in Europe for 2 weeks about a month ago. I have relatives in the Netherlands, so we went to Paris and toured all around Holland. I have lots of pictures, I think Wallmart was pissed, I uploaded about 400 pics to their site, they only like 40 at a time! I thought that wasn't bad considering I took over 1200! After we arrived back home, I was only home for 4 days before I had to go to New York City for 13 days. I don't travel a whole lot, just when it happens, it all happens at once! My wife and I like to go away for at least 1 week a year. We have done a couple of cruises and resorts. And with winter fast approaching, I'm looking to go to the Caribbean again!

This is taken in Paris on Oct 3, 2006. Hey when you are in Paris, you HAVE to have your pic taken with the tower!

Our scuba club has an annual contest, carve a pumpkin underwater! It's actually pretty hard, you have to keep all the pieces and you loose points if you have pumpkin crap float away! They make it so that whatever you bring down, you have to bring it back up! I didn't win, my pumpkin kind of sucked! Not to mention the water is pretty cold!

Wow, this a trip in the ‘way back machine’! Well I first got started in the early 80’s, and I mean EARLY! My first computer was an Atari 600xl with 16k of ram and a tape drive. Wow I thought at the time I’m on the cutting edge. After I ran out of memory, I upgraded to an 800XL with 64K, wow that was a lot! Then after a while I upgraded the 800XL to have 512k of ram, remember ram disks anyone??! I guess from there I upgraded to a ICD Multi I/O, I had a 20meg (yeah MB!) scsi hard drive, now that was a killer system, an 8 bit computer system with a hard drive. Anyways it all kind of went from there, you know the usual 8086, 80286, 386 etc etc..

Hard ware.. Hmm lets see. As you can see I am a casualty of socket 939!
AMD X2 4800 cpu
Zalman cnpc9500
A8N32 SLI MB
XFX 7900GTX video
2GB Corsair ram
2 300GB Seagate 16MB buffer hard drives
LIS POP display
Acer AL2216W monitor
Dual LG dvd drives
Dell Inspirion 6000
Dell Inspirion 2650

This is my home machine, nothing special just what I use to do some folding,
I run two folding clients on it. And a bunch of work!

Oh hell yeah! Nothing ticks me off more than people who go out and buy a computer for the name brand. The brand might be Corvette, but with a Chevette engine! I always build my own units, I pick what I would like and go from there, really the box isn’t important to me, it’s whats inside that counts! I also hand build all my computers for work as well, when you are building servers and computers that run critical information, I want to make sure I buy reliable and quality components.

No I don’t, not that I haven’t thought about it, but I don’t have enough time in the day to baby a computer that is overclocked to see how stable it is. I used to oc but it did require a vast amount of time to find the proper threshold. I just don’t have the time to invest right now, I’d rather do other things with my time.

Work mostly, but I do like to play the occasional game to escape from reality. I really liked Enemy Territory when people were playing it. I like a game that does make you think a bit, but not too much! And I also play Oblivion, when I get the chance. Mainly though mostly work, my wife of course uses it to surf and check her email.

I use Sympatico DSL at the current time. I am thinking of moving to Cogeco cable in a while. My speeds aren’t that great, sorry I don’t have stats, but the service is reliable. I can’t remember the last time it went out. The advantage of using Sympatico dsl is that I get 10 hours of dial up a month, which sometimes comes in handy with the laptops. Mind you I can’t stand dial up, ughhh. Then again I can’t remember the last time I ever used dial up on the laptop, just in case I guess.

I like the human element in an otherwise inhuman domain. The forums for MPC are active and the people are very friendly, they welcome you and are genuine. That is a very nice touch I think. I enjoy reading the spotlights very much, it nice to ‘get to know’ someone other than knowing they are a computer user. There is much more to our lives than simply sitting in front of a pc, if anyone disagrees, they need to get out a little more often!
It’s nice to see why people are folding, whether for health reasons or personal reasons and what they do in the ‘real’ world.

I don’t have any folding plans to speak of, I’d like to average 10K a week if I can. I was keeping my eye on Sovereign for a while, but he is now behind me. I’m just trying to do the best with what I have. I don’t have any machines running at home, just my own personal machine. I don’t have enough space for that. I guess my only goal at the present time is to be in the top 100 in a year, I’d be happy with that!

Thanks for doing a really interesting SpotLight.
I enjoy reading those from Canadian folders.
I wish folks from other countries would consider doing a SpotLight, it would make them even more interesting to see how things are in other parts of the world. Naturally I put this here in the hopes they would read it and react with, "I'll do a SpotLight".
I'm sure GM appreciates seeing you have cats. He really likes the little independent buggers.
It appears you are enjoying life up north and you have an interesting job that lets you travel and enjoy it. Too much travel can become an ordeal but a comfortable amount is really great.
My brother used to travel quite a bit for business (all in the states) and he would wake up in the morning and have to think for a while, Where the hell am I? The motels all look the same.
Thanks for your contribution to the current contest.
I am glad you appear to be enjoying this hobby we all call folding as much as I do.

Post subject: SpotLight - Number 33 - Dipinboy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:18 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

SpotLight on Dipinboy

Dipinboy started folding on 11/19/05
He has 13,261 points
ppd 110
Processors 4/2 (really three)
Posts 217

Lets meet Dipinboy............... Image

Well I call Tulsa, Oklahoma home. Tulsa is the second largest city in Oklahoma (second to Oklahoma City, which should be the largest since it’s the states capitol). I have lived in Tulsa my entire life, and I have moved within only twice. Tulsa is a good midsized city of some 400,000 residents. The weather here is very sporadic. To give you an example, as I write this there is an inch of ice on the ground, but just five days ago it was 70 degrees (I am not exaggerating). There are times when we will have very mild winters and harsh summers and times when we will have mild summers and harsh winters. Then there are the times when we will have mild everything and harsh everything. You just really can’t count on Oklahoma weather being predictable ( I remember one time the weatherman saying that there would be a 100% chance of snow… the next day nothing ).

I still live at home with my parents and my one younger brother. He and I aren't really alike, except that we both like going to race my trucks and our DNA is similar. This may be because we are almost 9 years apart. Maybe when he is 18 we will hang out more (then again I might be married by then). Most of my family members also live in Tulsa or the surrounding cities. I am the oldest grandson in my family on both sides with a cousin coming in a close second (she is only two weeks younger).

The most significant thing I probably did in school was taking 11 years of Spanish (K-10). I just graduated from high school (a year early) last spring and I am currently taking some courses from my local community college. All of my classes except one are online (which is the way I like it). My high school was ranked as number 55 by Newsweek as one of the top schools to attend, so I find community college just a wee bit easier (I have gotten straight As instead of my normal As and Bs with the occasional C).

As far as pets go, I have two dogs which are both poodles (both are toy poodles although they each weigh in at 3 pounds and 9 pounds) named Marley (after Bob Marley) and Heidi. I also have a cat named Nala (I was a big fan of Lion King when I got her, a testament to how old I was). It seems like the cat is the pet of choice for many on this forum.

I was already familiar with distributed computing when I started folding as a sophomore. I had used school computers in middle school to help listen to sounds from outer space ( or something like that, I was young and I wasn't really into deciphering signals from outer space, it was kind of boring for a 7th grader ). Folding for MPC all started when I was just browsing the forum here (something I did before classes began). I saw this Forum and wondered what folding exactly was. After reading Blondie's extensive introduction (something that took me two mornings at school), I decided I wanted to participate as well. I have two relatives who have had cancer (with one succumbing to it) and one relative who lives with multiple sclerosis. Initially I used school computers (most P4s with 256 to 512 ram) to fold. I set them up to use 50 to 75 percent of the free CPU cycles to fold (I didn't know that F@H gave up CPU cycles at the time).

For most of the summer I was inactive due to the fact that I was busy with other things and did not have a stable source of CPU cycles. After falling off the map for a while I began folding again without even knowing it. Turns out some of my old folding computers still had their clients on them and had been turned back on for the new school year. I began to visit MPC forums again and decided to move toward folding more. I have gotten my family computer folding (an xp 1800+ with 512 ram) as well as my old amd 3200 (socket 754 with 512 crucial ram). I am still working on getting my current rig folding (I need a router and some space to put it and the rig by the modem). I’m always looking for friends and family to fold for me as well because I can't afford C2D rigs just for folding (I can't even afford them for a personal rig!).

Where are you employed?

I currently am employed by Staples. Staples is a good company to work for. I get the hours I want (between 22 and 30 depending on scheduling and classes) and I am paid more than minimum wage! Can you guys guess what department I work in? You should have guessed electronics (I mean come on it's what I am good at). I’m the top salesman at staples, I rake in close to 1,700 a month just in service plan sales alone, that amounts to about 40 plans a month or three to four plans a day. Only my GM beets me in sales and he works close to 60 hours a week! Because we don't have a dedicated staff for cashiers or stockers I work in these areas when my department isn't busy. I don't want to be employed at staples forever though. I plan on working at some corporation as a support technician or network administrator. I wouldn't mind opening my own business either (building custom computers of course).

What do you mean other interests? Folding is my life.... No, of course I have other interests. I hunt or try to hunt I am not very good, I just started last fall. My dad also just started. Yeah I know it took us a long time to get on the bandwagon. Both of us have 20 gauge Remington 870 express shot guns. This is just an emerging hobby of mine so I don't have many stories to tell. I will say that the first thing I killed was a meadowlark, something that looks like a dove from far away to the inexperienced eye. They aren't edible and I think they are some states official bird... oops.

My other hobby (one that I have been doing for a while) is racing 10th scale remote control monster trucks. They are powered by a form of gasoline called nitro. It's a mix of gasoline and nitrous oxide. They are pretty cool and have a strong following. They even have professional racers who get paid by sponsors to use their gear. These trucks aren't the ones that you get at a Wal-Mart or Radio Shack. They can cost between 400 to 1000 dollars! They operate in the same way that diesel trucks do, complete with full suspensions, second and third gears and 4wd. My truck, called a Revo has a two speed and can go up to 45 miles per hour. I participate in club races every once in a while but I usually don’t place high on the list. These guys are good!

Well I had always had an interest in computers. I was transfixed ( I know, I used a big word! ) when we got our first computer. I dug up the box a while ago and I will try to remember the specs. Let’s see it had 8mb of ram (WHOOP) a 300mb hard drive and a 386 or a 486, (I am not real sure) and it ran Windows 3.1. I got use to using a computer by the time I was 7 and when my mom installed a cd drive in our Compaq (which ran Win 98) I knew I had to find out how to do that. Fast forward 5 years to when I pick up my first issue of MPC. It was the May 2003 issue, and it talked about how the NVIDIA 5800 was getting dirt kicked in its face by the ATI 9800 as well as Intel moving toward an 800MHz FSB and DDR400. I actually have learned most of my computer knowledge from this magazine.

I am currently running an admittedly lacking system:
Antec 380w TruePower PSU
AMD 3200+ OCed to 2.3 GHz NVIDIA SLI motherboard (it’s been so long I don't remember the chipset I just know its a single chip design)
Gig of DDR400 Corsair ramEvga 6800gs
Hitachi 160gig Sata Hard Drive
X-FI

All of this is housed in an Antec Super Lanboy (which is the original case I built my first computer in).

Unusual wiring scheme.

Of course!!!! I have built them since I first began reading MPC. I see myself building them until my fragile old fingers cannot hold a stick of ram stable anymore! I enjoy building them a lot more than waiting for one in the mail. I have even begun building them for family ( free ) and friends ( for a small fee ).

I overclock like crazy. Everything I can overclock I will. My CPU, ram, videocard and motherboard have all been overclocked to varying degrees. I don’t think any manufacture will honor the warranties on my components. My folding machines are the only ones I don’t overclock. I don’t mainly because I am not around them all the time and I can’t check on them if they begin to have issues.

Besides folding I use my computers for just a few other things. I mainly use the XP for my school work, since it’s already connected to the internet and printer. It’s also the only computer that has word on it. I do some video editing (I use Roxio media creator 7.5) with my current rig as well. I’ve been so busy lately that I mainly focus my computer time on school and posting. I don’t take many pictures but those I do take I edit on the XP machine with Picasa2.

I am connected to the internet by way of Cox Cable. I don’t know my upload speeds (because I don’t upload much) but my download speeds are 12mbps. Overall I am happy with Cox. I have used them for 4 years and only every once in a while do I experience slow browsing or internet problems. My bill has never increased since I first got Cox (I don’t know if ISPs do that often) and my speeds have only increased since I got Cox (going from 6mbps to 12). For a week or so after they increased my speeds I did experience really slow performance but now everything is as smooth as can be. Real download speeds are impressive to. It isn’t T1 speeds but it’s not bad (I get between 350 and 600kbps download speeds when connected to a good server with not much traffic).

I like folding for a couple of reasons. I like it because it makes me feel I am helping out in an area where I normally wouldn’t be able to. I am not a biochemist or someone who is able to research cures. I am just a normal run of the mill guy who happens to be into computers. My interest in computers though is what enables me to help. I don’t have to go out and get a degree in some medical field to make a difference, I just have to install a small file on my computer and I am instantly helping out in a field where people like me normally can’t. Combine this ability to help with the great support from those at MPC and you get an overwhelming reason to participate. Those that participate on this folding forum give me and others great guidance and opportunities to better help the folding communities. The spotlights, top appearances and contests give those folding a greater desire to fold more and strive to be a greater contributor. Folding also connects people with similar interest, enabling them to help each other out and furthering the community atmosphere that one strives to create in a forum. All these reasons are why I participate in folding.

I would like to crack the top 500 (only 1,100 more to go!!!). I also would like to find ways to get others interested (maybe speak to local schools or school boards). I don’t have any plans right now for catching anyone but those on the outer edge of the top 500 better look out!! I will do my best to catch up to yall!!! Sorry my Okie side of me just kicked in… better stop writing before more IQ points are deducted.

Dipinboy - thanks for doing such a wonderful SpotLight.
You have more interests than I ever did at yout age.
You are doing great in school and in your job.
You are a very good writer and it was fun reading your SpotLight.
Hunting and killed a state bird. Many cows and horses are killed around here during hunting season (you can recognize those - right)
The check is in the mail for all the nice things you said about folding and the forum.

Post subject: SpotLight - Number 34 - Newbie1Kenobi
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:00 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

SpotLight on Newbie1Kenobi

Newbie1Kenobi started folding on 12/26/06
He has 20,280 points
ppd 918
Processors 6/3
Posts 551 - talkative sort of guy

Lets meet Newbie1Kenobi............... Image

Wherever I live, Port Elgin,Ontario, located on Lake Huron will always be home. I grew up not too far from the first nuclear reactor in Canada, Douglas Point, which explains a lot about me. I currently live in Kitchener, Ontario.

When the going gets tough in Port Elgin.

I had this computer that wasn't doing anything. I'd read about folding, and wanted to try something new, so I dove in. Lots of people helped out to make me the folding "expert" I am today...or will be in the future

Where are you employed?

I work for an irrigation company (sprinklers). We work primarily on golf courses, installing new systems or retrofitting old ones. I do just about everything: troubleshoot, install, wire run machines. I love having so much variety. It's seasonal, so I have a lot of time to check on my stats!

Despite the fact I work on golf course, I spend as much time as I can getting on them to play. I used to play guitar, might start teaching myself how to play again. I like reading, but I'm trying to branch out from the Star Wars series that seem to make up 95% of my library.

The children:

I bought my first computer at MDG, before SP2 for XP came out. When it did, my computer would download and get about 80% of the way through installation before crapping out. I found that the reason was due to numerous registry changes. I found out how to find the changes and how to fix them, but each time I tried to install SP2, another entry prevented it. I went through about 4 attempts before I gave up and formatted my hard drive. I lost all the pre-installed software, and vowed to learn more about computers, so that I could build, diagnose, troubleshoot and repair my own, if anything ever went wrong.

Mine:

Asus A8N SLI-Premium mobo

Amd Athlon X2 3800+ (plan on OC'ing soon..gotta keep those ppd up)

4x512 OCZ Premier Series RAM

LeadTek WinFast PX6600 GT TDH GeForce

2x716SA Plextor DVD-burners

19â€

Post subject: SpotLight - Number 35 - TWBalls
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:35 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

SpotLight on TWBalls

TWBalls started folding on 1/1/04
He has 5 million+ points and counting
ppd 14,165
Processors 130/82
Posts 4490

EOC Stats Click Here

Lets meet TWBalls............... Image

Santa Clara, CA.
It's kinda fun driving down the street/freeway and seeing buildings for some of our favorite tech companies. Intel is here in Santa Clara as is Nvidia. AMD is very close by in Sunnyvale and Cisco is in San Jose. The Winchester mystery house is not far from here. I've been past it many times back when I had to ride the bus to work but I've never visited. Oh, and there's also :whoeverthehellownsitthisyear: Great America.

DOB: 07-29-1979 So, I'll be turning 28 at the end of July.

Just a whippersnapper

Santa Clara Valley

I don't recall. I remember chams talking about it and figured I'd give it a try. It was easy to do and is supposed to help mankind. Of course after a while it gets to be a bit difficult maintaining a large amount of PC's. There's quite a few I haven't checked on in a long time. Kinda lost track of which PC's have it and which don't after you add/remove PC's from location to location.

Where are you employed?

I work in the IT dept. for a hospital in Los Gatos. I've been here for about 6 or so years. At times it can be stressful, others it can be mindnumbingly boring. I'm hoping that now we're with this new company, that I'll be able to take more courses. I'm planning on taking classes on Active Directory (finally upgrade our NT 4 domain), Linux (been meaning to learn this for some time now), VMWare (This will help us out a LOT) and I'm sure quite a few others. I've got some plans to improve this hospital.

Well, I recently bought a coffee roaster, some green beans and an Aero Press Coffee Maker. I've used the roaster a couple of times... I think I'll need to work on this some more.
My latest batch was the best one so far, but even that was still sub par. I think I"m slowly figuring this thing out.
Unfortunately my crappy coffee maker died, so I just bought a Chemex brewer. It was cheaper than what I really want to get. I'm planning on getting a vacuum pot, but they're kinda pricey for some of the nicer ones.
And of course now I want to get a bigger, better roaster.

Bravi Home Coffee Roaster $369 but free shipping
and 5 lbs of specialty coffee included - a bargain (I guess)

Vacuum coffee pot

I love beer. I enjoy going to the local Beverages and More to try out new brews. I think after I get settled with roasting, I may give brewing a try. Only thing is, is that it looks like it's work. You have to keep things sterile or you can mess up the batch and batches take a while to brew.
I've cut way back on how much beer I drink as I've been trying to lose weight... Which is one of the reasons I've been so interested in coffee. Coffee doesn't have a shit load of calories like beer, it's supposedly a good appetite suppressant (well, caffeine) and it wakes me up in the morning.

A peak into the future

To make a long story short: Some time in '94 my dad bought a computer (486 DX2-66 woohoo). He had Win 3.x for it as well as a few games. Eventually my mom bought a Pentium 90Mhz system and I discovered Doom. That's when I really got interested. After I messed up my moms computer a couple of times tinkering with it, she bought one for me (another 486 66Mhz). After tearing it apart and rebuilding it numerous times I moved on to my moms computer again (heh). After she saw that I really seemed to enjoy working with computers, she helped me get an apprenticeship with a small computer repair shop. I tagged along with a guy when he did the house-calls and also helped around in the shop. It was a big help in learning troubleshooting skills. After that it was mostly on the job and at home experience. (Geez, how many times did I say 'After'?)

Nothing special.
Server
C2D 6300 (Stock)
2GB DDR2 667
Intel DQ965
Intel SRCS14L RAID controller
2x 250GB WD RE (RAID-1, connected to ICH8R)
3x 320GB WD SE (RAID-5, Connected to SRCS14L)
Pioneer 16x DVDRW
Thermaltake Armor
WinXP Pro

HTPC
X2 3800 w/ Zalman Zsomethingorother
2GB Corsair DDR2 667
Asus M2NPV-VM
250GB WD SE (C: holds Music)
400GB Seagate 7200.9 (D: holds TV Shows)
400GB Seagate 7200.10 (E: holds Movies)
Lite-On 16x DVDRW
DLink WLAN
Antec Overture II
WinVista Home Premium (WinV HP? Windows Vista Home Premium is a bit long)

Dothan
Pentium M 740 (OC'd to 2.4Ghz)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe w/ Skt. 479 adapter
1GB OCZ PC3500 Gold
Cheapy Radeon 9200
Audigy 2
200GB WD SE
Pioneer 16x DVDRW
KingWin Aluminum case
WinXP Pro

Work PC (Yup, I paid for this too)
Pentium D 930 (OC'd to 3.2Ghz)
Intel D955XBK
2GB DDR2 533
Geforce 6600
2x 36GB Raptors (RAID-0)
WD 250GB RE
Lite-On 16x DVDRW w/ Lightscribe
Lite-On FS020
WinXP Pro

Folder (my boss is supposed to be buying this soon)
Pentium D 840 w/ Thermaltake HSF
Asus motherboard
1GB DDR2 667
80GB WD SE
OpenSuse 10

Yep

A couple of them. The Dothan runs @ 2.4 from a stock 1.7. The Pentium D 930 is @ 3.2 from a stock 3.0 and I think the HTPC is very slightly OC'd

Work, Folding, DVD>Xvid transfers (for the HTPC) Music/movies and every now and then I'll play some games. Work mostly.

SBC DSL. I have no complaints. It's cheaper than Comcast was.

I like the LL during the day since theres usually a lot going on and it helps kill time. Later, I like to check out the folding forum. It's a lot more laid back and it seems like people can put aside any bickering that might be going on in other parts of the forum and get together as a team. I'm glad to be a part of it. (awww... )

Save money, buy hardware for SMP goodness.

This is where GM would say - Where's the picture.
Well TW's deal was no pictures and I thought his SpotLight was worth it.

This is what I think he looks like - very much like Cary Grant don't you think?

TW did supply this picture from his camera phone.
If he managed to beat all those cars in front of him, he should have his future folding plans covered and than some.

All the other pictures above were filler by myself after searching for images related to the discussion.

TW thanks for doing a Spotlight.
You have now placed all the old timers on notice.
No one has an excuse anymore.
I hate to admit it but we drink Folgers or Maxwell House (whichever is on sale).
But it is still an important morning ritual.
The day hasn't started until that hot cup of coffee.
I don't bother Rose before her first cup.
She is the nicest lady the rest of the day but don't talk to her before the first cup or you will be sorry.
Thanks for leading the way to the cures, we are all right behind you - more or less.

Post subject: SpotLight - Number 36 - bigtoyota479
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:02 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

SpotLight on bigtoyota479

bigtoyota479 started folding on 10/5/05
He has unknown points (being a Monkey Federation member)
ppd unknown
Processors see below
Posts 942 and growing

Lets meet bigtoyota479............... Image

Home is in LaCenter, WA, the southwest corner of the state, just above Oregon. We just finished the house project that kept me out of the forums for that extended period of time. We have 2.5 acres, a house and a shop that is currently under construction. I've never been able to stand the city, so out in the sticks I must live!!!
This house is actually part of the property that I grew up on, from the time I was 4 years old until I was 18, so it really is home!! There's me and the girlfriend of 4.5 years and the 3 cats. We spent the last few years in a travel trailer renting a spot in the country before we got this thing started, so the change is very welcome. It may have been a few cramped years, but in the end it's all well worth it.
We still have lots of stuff to do like landscaping, gardening, and painting the house. The property is essentially all grass with a rather large blackberry bush in the corner that produces absolutely the best blackberries I've ever had, and on that note it gets to stay. Basically we have a blank slate to start with, which is very nice.
The weather here got quite cold here last year with more snow than usual. It rains about 9 months out of the year with about 3 months of sunshine. It keeps everything green though. Summer highs are usually in the 90's, winter lows can be in the teens, so it's pretty diverse here. The other thing I like is that you can definitely see the seasons here, unlike some of the other places. It's green in the spring, hot in the summer, the trees turn brilliant shades of red, orange and yellow in the fall, and in the winter it gets cold and snowy.

I have a subscription to Maximum PC, and got the idea from an ad they ran for folding about 2 years ago. I started off on October 5 of 2005 with an AMD 3000+ (939). That didn't last long, and I was running a dual core 3800+. Soon after I upgraded, a certain group noticed my attitude (and PPD) and hence the induction into the Monkey Federation. After that, well, it was all downhill from there!! I've got a new C2D running in the old AMD case, the AMD is going to be a Linux SMP node, and the girlfriend is getting a new C2D computer as well that will fold full-time. Hooked on folding worked for me!!!
The last year has been rather hard on us. We lost my girlfriends grandmother to cancer, and then a very close friend of my family's passed away from cancer as well. I think we attended a total of 4 funerals last year. My sister has diabetes, and I can't count the number of people I know with Parkinson's disease and other diseases that folding is looking for a cure to. Needless to say, we have plenty of motivation to fold for the cure.

Where are you employed?

I am employed as a Lead Foreman for a small construction company specializing in Polymer and Urethane flooring systems. We do lots of food-service places like restaurants, deli's, bakeries etc. On the other hand we also do high tech plants like Intel and Sun Microsystems, with a few paper mills thrown in. We do mostly Commercial and Industrial work, but are trying to start up a residential customer base as well. Unfortunately, while the flooring will outlast the building, the cost is rather expensive for the regular home owner. You can see what I do at www.stonhard.com . Our company also has a General Contracting side for residential work. My girlfriend is a Certified Medical Assistant and works at a local doctors office in a town about 30 minutes away. It is a family practice office and she started off working in urgent care with a physicians assistant (PA) and is now working with a primary care physician (PCP) that also does OB/GYN. She spent three years in college while working at an assisted living facility while she was in school.

The motorcycles, of course. That's the other part to disappearing from the forums for a year or so. A friend of mine had one for sale, so I bought it. Come to find out, the girlfriend wanted one!! So she got that bike and I got one I could race at the local motocross track. We made a trip to Prineville, OR with some friends, and found some trails here locally. We like to fish, the salmon here are good as are the trout. Not to mention a good salmon river is only about 15 minutes away!!! The cats keep us occupied at home, and the girlfriend likes to do landscaping, gardening, and taking pictures. Needless to say we have about 200+ pic of our cats.
We like to go camping at the beaches on the Olympic Peninsula. The beaches there have river rock instead of sand, and (believe it or not) there is a rain forest right here in Washington!!! It may not be tropical, in fact it can be rather cold, but it's here nonetheless. Anything to get us out of the house!! We have a jet-boat tour planned for this summer in Idaho, as well as some more camping. We were so busy with life last year we didn't get to do anything or go anywhere.
I also am an avid CB operator with my HAM license. There's another life I lead outside folding, and the girlfriend does too. The CB for us has been a good way to meet new people locally, and make new friends. I have a base station here at the house, with a 30 ft. tower soon to be erected to put my antenna on. Until then, we're stuck with the mobile radio in my truck. It's nice to have when we go on vacation to talk to locals in the cities and to the other drivers on the road for conditions, traffic, etc. Actually, funny thing, that's how me and the girlfriend met was through the CB.

I started off with an old Compaq that my parents had, a Pentium 133 with 32 megs of ram I think, running Windows 95. That one was off limits to me for a while because of the warranty. Back in the day, that was fast!!! It even had a 14.4Kbps modem!! I built my first PC in 1996, at the tender age of 16. It was an AMD K6III 500. I built it with the help of a friend, and it became my test and learning bed for all my future knowledge. I experimented with both of them as much as I could, figuring out why this program crashed and how to install and diagnose software and hardware problems. So basically I'm self-taught, along with some help from friends and people with lots of patience.

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo with an Asrock 775 Dual-VSTA motherboard. 2 gigs of Corsair DDRII-667 ram, and AMD/ATI X800XL video card (still AGP), 2 300 gig Maxtor SATA HD's, a Pioneer Dual-Layer DVD burner, Lite-on cd burner/DVD drive, a floppy drive(yes, I still use it). I have an Actiontec DSL modem, a Linksys 4 port-router, and a 5-port switch. The case is a Raidmax Scorpio and the PSU is an Antec Neo-Power 400 watt. I have a Gigabyte heatpipe cooler for the proc, 3 UV cold-cathodes, UV reactive wire wrap, and 4 case fans of the blue and green variety. Can't forget the Thermaltake fan controller for all of the fans either. WOW!!! That's a lot of stuff in one box!! I have another mobo with the old S939 AMD3800+ dual core, 3 more motherboards, another E4300 processor, 3 cases, untold spare parts, and a partridge in a pear tree.

But of course!!! What else would I do with all of the spare parts I have laying around??? Besides, if I don't do something with them, Spider would get very angry with me. (not to mention the girlfriend!!)

The current machine is overclocked, and the new C2D for the girlfriend will be too. I can't stand to leave anything stock, that's just so boring!! I get a thrill out of seeing how far I can take my hardware, until it breaks and I either spend the next two days trying to get it to work again or have to foot the bill for new parts.

I use the computer for everything from surfing the intraweb to gaming, with a little whatever else thrown in between for good measure. My girlfriend likes to do scrapbooking and picture editing with it. We both like to shop for things on the intraweb, and the move to DSL recently has made the money fly!!

Before we got our DSL we had Earthlink, and I can't say enough good things about them. Although we were limited to 28.8 KBPS dial up (which was due to hard line problems, not software related) we never got kicked, booted, denied access or had ANY problems whatsoever. I used to do 30 MB linux kernel DL's all night and into the next day without being dropped.
After we got moved into the new house, we found out DSL was available here through QWEST. I'm not impressed by some of their policies (limiting torrent bandwidth), and we haven't been using them long enough yet to really judge the service (maybe 2 months). We have 1.5 mbps down, and 1 mbps up. Compared to what we had before, this is so fast it still makes my head spin. Also, I don't tie up the phone line anymore, which is a big plus (I guess).

Folding is a good excuse for me to get the latest and greatest hardware into the house (and for the girlfriend to get a new computer). Not to mention the cause for which we all fold, which has affected us in one way or the other, especially in the last year. The camaraderie of the monkey clan and the MaxPC forums have really kept it interesting, to say the least. The Spotlights, the Gauntlets, and the dash to figure out the latest and greatest way to get more points. The Federation has to be the best part. That many people, sticking together for so long, making so many points, has to say something for the people involved. Not to mention all the poo that has been flung, at so many different people throughout the course of our reign.
G does a great job at keeping the moral up, Smartcat is always there to help, the Monkey Federation and all of our members keep things interesting with the poo and the peaches, and I cannot even begin to mention all the people involved at the forums that make this team great!!! The updates that r2w-ben used to do with the old gromacs units and the -advmethods flag, I used to check DAILY for that. The New Members section, so we can welcome all those new folders here, I could go on for the rest of this spotlight about everything I like, so maybe I'll just stop here and answer the last question.

The future folding plans are to add as many machines as we have money for (and the girlfriend has patience for). After all, Monkey Domination is coming, resistance is futile!!! In the near future, I'll have at least 4 machines going here at the house, now that I have room to expand the monkey's empire of points. After that, I don't really have a clue right now, except for the more points the merrier!!

Toyota479 thanks for a really great SpotLight.
You certainly seem to enjoy everything you do and get deeply involved.
Rose likes cats, much more than dogs, and I must admit that Dizzy (our current cat) is winning me over a bit.
You can bet GM enjoyed the pictures of the cats.
When I met Rose she was a nurse at a hospital. I think woman involved in health related jobs are special people and we are both very lucky guys.
I believe everyone today knows a number of people affected by the many diseases folding hopes to help eliminate. I would think we should be having to fight off the crowds wanting to fold. Instead we talk of how to recruit. The team that finds the secret to matching the right people with folding will have rank 1 all to themselves.
Thanks again for sharing the details of your life in Washington state with all of us. I believe SpotLights help to bond a team together and when someone does one I truly appreciate their efforts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:35 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

SpotLight on tatsuo

Matt_Kanda Started folding on 12/26/04
He has 176,005 points
Processors 7/5

Lets meet tatsuo............... Image

With only 24 posts, he hasn't got an avatar.
I'll offer him one and see if we can change that.

tatsuo (Matt Kanda) is a youger folder from outside the continental 48.
With exceptions, younger folders tend to be less wordy in there descriptions.
The Photo can be an area many try to avoid regardless of age.
I appreciate anyone who makes the effort to create a SpotLight for others to enjoy.
I believe it brings us all closer and expands peoples view of the world around them.
It honestly had been so long since I worked on one, that I had to figure out what I had to do all over again.
Well lets get started, I'm sure it will come back to me quickly.

I live in Honolulu, Hawaii with my parents, my three goldfish, and two Pleco Algae eater. Living in Honolulu is not exactly paradise because it’s a city and rush hour traffic can be hell. But go to the country side of Oahu and that’s where you start to see it. Traffic starts to ease up and you can just cruise with your windows down, the beaches are also a great place to be, and an almost empty one is even better. The weather basically changes at will from hot/humid to cold/rainy but we have come to get used to it. It’s not a great variance anyway. The great thing about that little variance in temp is that overclocking doesn’t change.

What got me started on folding was the fact that my computer was on all the time because I was downloading stuff or was too lazy to turn it off. Then recently deeper reasons started flowing in because my grandma got Alzheimer’s disease, my other grandma died of cancer, and my grandpa recently died of pneumonia. I’m folding in their memory and hopefully in the future a disease will get cured.

Where are you employed?

I’m a part time sales associate for OfficeMax and I am also a full time student at KCC. Next Semester I plan on transferring to the University of Hawaii at Manoa.

When I’m not folding I like to just hang out with my friends. We usually go and play pool at the local billiard hall. But if we don’t feel like doing that we just go driving around the island, or go to the beach.

My first encounter with computers was with my dads old 8808 IBM. Man I had fun on that, playing Loderunner, PacMan, and Space Invaders (I had some intense gaming sessions). Then it got upgraded to an Intel Pentium 200MHZ Arms Computer laptop. That computer was crap, it overheated all the time and shutdown but hey it was a computer. Then a few years later I built my first computer, a glorious 1.3 GHz Pentium 4 computer. I was proud of it I not only did I build something with my hands; I could finally play games that I never could before. That computer was also the first computer I learned about overclocking, and cooling. I slowly raised the FSB and voltages up and settled for a nice 1.5 GHz. Now to present with my Intel Centrino Laptop and my Pentium 4 at 3.2 GHz at 3.65 GHz.

Main Rig/Server
Aspire Case
Antec 600Watt PSU
Foxconn 925XE Motherboard
Pentium 4 640 3.2Ghz @ 3.65Ghz
Creative X-Fi
1GB Dual Channel Memory
Ati Radeon x1550 w/ Hypermemory
1x 200GB HD
4x 160GB HD in RAID 5
DVD-RAM drive

Laptop
Dell
Centrino Pentium M Dothan @ 1.7ghz
1 GB DDR2 400MHZ
120GB Hard drive

Computer I gave to my friend that’s folding
Antec 500Watt PSU
Antec LanBoy Case
Asus A7V8X-X Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2000+
Overclocked Radeon X1300 w/ 512MB memory
1GB DDR 333 memory
120GB Hard Drive

Yes. I love saying to my friends yeah I built it. Sometimes we have bragging contests. We’re such geeks.

Of course! I’ve never left anything stock unless I really had to and utmost stability came over speed.

My laptop is used to take back and forth with me to school to do some school work and the occasional entertainment. My desktop is used for downloading, gaming, and everything else I can’t do on my laptop.

HawaiianTel Net is what I’m using right now. I’ve been happy so far and am able to tolerate the down times, they don’t last that long but is annoying.

What I like about the MaximumPC forum is their helpfulness, if I got a problem I know where to go and I know I’m going to get helpful answers, and it’s interesting to read all the posts.

My future folding plans are to get to the Top 10, I don’t have to stay there. But it’d be nice to bask in the glory of the top 10s.

tatsuo (Matt_Kanda) Thanks for doing this great SpotLight.
You broke the long drought for SpotLights (almost as bad as the drought in Drylanta GA.
Great view of the area you live in.
Work hard on that education, we want to hear in the future how great you are doing in the work-a-day world we all live in.
If you agree when I ask you for approval, I will fold with you to top100.
Not the top10, I know, but some time in the sun in the top20 producers isn't too bad either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:51 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

SpotLight on Michael McCord M.D.

Doc McCord Started folding on 04/09/06
He has 1,991,521 points (got to start on his 2 million congrats right now)
ppd 20,341
Processors 28/18
posts 466

EOC Stats Click Here

Lets meet Doc McCord............... Image

I live in Beaumont, Texas with my wife Gayle and son, Jeff (her child by previous marriage). My children by previous marriage, Brian and Elena (the 2 in my avatar),live with their mother in IN. and are away at college. We are about 25 miles East from the LA line and 25 miles from the Gulf in Southeast TX, 2 miles off I-10. Very mild winter with brutally hot and humid summers. 55" of rain annually.
I don't particularly care for Texas or Texans but it seems to be where the Good Lord sent me to work and it was a good place to make a living.I am a Hoosier by birth, born in Gary, IN. My wife is from Jackson, TN.

This picture is of the Spindletop gusher museum in Beaumont, the most famous thing in town. In 1901, the first ever oil gusher was hit here and started the entire petrochemical industry $100/barrel thing. We are the birthplace of "Black Gold, Texas Tea".

My wife Gayle - man those falls were close.

The kids (left to right) - Brian, Jeff and Elena.

Me at the summit - Lake Placid, NY

I read a MPC article about it and decided to help out. I had been doing the Mersenne Prime 95 project but after a year I was ready to move onto something else. Seemed to me the science on this project was something more to my liking as far as contributing to. Last year I was diagnosed out of the blue (found as a result of an out-of-whack blood test while on a statin drug for cholesterol) with a rare myopathy (tubular aggregate myopathy) which could possibly turn into ALS-about 10% of these do. So when I heard FAH was trying to cure it, that seemed like a real good idea to me!! Protein folding is a fascinating and poorly understood area of biology, so studying it makes sense.

Where are you employed?

Due to the myopathy, I am retired since 5/31/07. I am 48 years old. I was an anesthesiologist in solo practice in Beaumont.

My other main interests are music, motorcycles, gaming and travel. I play keyboards, saxophone and harmonica and I intend to put a recording studio where I had my office this year. I have a Yamaha acoustic grand piano and Kurzweil synth. I have a Honda GoldWing I enjoy riding-here in TX that's almost year-round. We travel a lot, but I have a lot more to see soon, just in case I get sick sooner than I want--like when is that!?! I feel pretty good right now. I also enjoy seeing and visiting my children.

My 2002 Honda Goldwing

My synthesizer--hope to start recording soon!

I have played video games since Pong and Star-Trek was played with "giant" University computers on a 300 baud modem where you placed the phone receiver in a cradle with a rubber cup to hear the sounds (maybe that was 1973). My first computer was a Mac Plus in 1985. Had to go PC as I LOVE gaming especially FPS. Doom was an unbelievable leap forward at the time. I game every day, why not, I'm retired haha. Currently COD4 and Crysis are the happening things.
Almost everything I ever learned was just huge amounts of trial and error, thousands of hours all told.

Currently 1 gaming rig Q6700 extreme, Nvidia 8800 GTX 768Mb, 2Gb RAM, 30" flat panel-runs Vista SMP 24/7 in background. 7 soon to be 8 dedicated Q6600 folders on Ubuntu 7.10, 2Gb RAM each, 4Gb thumb drives each, Earthwatts 380W PSU each, My office Q6600 running windows XP SMP 24/7 and a C2D of my son's running XP SMP 24/7 all have 2Gb RAM.

My gaming rig and main computer

My bank of Quads. 3 more are in the house, 1 more unseen in the office.

My gaming rig was from a custom boutique shop ibuypower. I have built all other machines however.

I overclock almost all my rigs 10-15% but don't really push beyond that. The stability issues are more important for production than squeezing out a bit more, just for my peace of mind.

Gaming, Folding and some Websurfing/email stuff.

Time Warner's Road Runner has been very good and has been increasing their speed without increasing their price. Rare these days! I can get 800kb/s downloads...200X dialup!

The camaraderie and the team spirit in competition. We have a great bunch of guys/gals who keep each other interested. We also get good support from Stanford when and if we ever need it. They certainly seem involved in a meaningful way which makes me feel good about what I'm doing.
The other teams are involved and cranking too, just browse their forums sometime!

I plan to continue to fold for the foreseeable future. It seems like a good hobby and keeps me off the streets. There are worse vices and I should know-I am 16 years without a drink of alcohol. If you drank with me 17 years ago, you would know why that has been a good idea.

Thanks Doc, for doing a great SpotLight.
You have many varied interests to pursue since retiring.
I'm really glad one of them is folding, you make the forum more interesting with your many posts.

The Doc was folding for MaximumPC without knowing about the forum.
When I did his top100, a friend of his saw it in a google search and told him about it.
Upon investigating, he found a new activity to have fun with and has increased his ppd several times over in the process.

Thanks for folding with us, doing a SpotLight and the many other things you do to make folding more interesting for everyone -G

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2