Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: LCD Panels
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:36 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

How do you communicate with LCD panels or banner panels, say for displaying music or playlist information and the such?

The Dream Machine kind of inspired me to do something functional with a full color LCD, plus a banner lcd for my next comp. I just wonder if I could code something with C# or Java to communicate with the LCD to provide my own customization.

Post subject: Re: LCD Panels
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:15 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Wolfmann wrote:
How do you communicate with LCD panels or banner panels, say for displaying music or playlist information and the such?

The Dream Machine kind of inspired me to do something functional with a full color LCD, plus a banner lcd for my next comp. I just wonder if I could code something with C# or Java to communicate with the LCD to provide my own customization.

Python :)

Just kidding. I don't know. This should be an interesting thread (I hope)

Bump

I thought about this and figured when you buy one you must have a way to generate a text file that gets fed to the LCD banner. If thats the case it will be easy. But like I said, I don't know.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:10 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

There will obviously be a program to make it functional, but what I want to know is how can I customize it and step outside the limits of that program.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:23 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Wolfmann wrote:

Using what kind of environment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:06 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Wolfmann wrote:
There will obviously be a program to make it functional, but what I want to know is how can I customize it and step outside the limits of that program.

Well yeah, but its hard to tell you how to customize it if none of us have seen one (which hopefully is not the case). Hmmm....did you see if you could google up a software demo of some kind? Long shot I know.

Manta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:50 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Wolfmann wrote:

On the cable/sat channel G4TechTV, which use to be just TechTV there is a show called The Screen Savers. I watch it any time I get a chance. I have seen them build systems with LCDs and they get apps to display info on them. Searching on their website www.thescreensavers.com might help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:15 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

There was a great article in CPU about this ... actually, it was two parts and spanned two issues.

Again .. what environment are we talking about? Windows?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:55 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Not 100% sure about what you are asking. Your question is basically, how do I make a program display on the lcd, not the monitor, right?

Off hand, I'm not aware of any Java programs or libraries that use multiple monitors. Interesting idea. I guess it isn't really too different than specifying a different output stream, but we all know it isn't going to be that easy. :)