Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: how much should I mark up this dead proc repair/swap
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:01 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

So someone from work asked me to look at their not posting Dell (dimension 4500) Diag Lights and Beep tones indicate dead proc (I've reseated and reset cmos) without success.

I'm reasonabley sure the proc is the problem (i.e. it is dead) I don't have any P4 systems to test my theory on but oh well.

So looking about I can get a 2.53 (533 FSB) proc on newegg for about $142 so I'm curious how much profit ya'll would seek (and yes I know my avatar is Lenin and as such I shouldn't be worried about Profits :D )

I'm thinking on telling her $200.00 and I order her proc and install it ..etc. and then if for some reason the proc dosn't solve the prob I give her back her $200 minus my Restocking fees.

I don't want to be greedy and all and she is nice enough but not a "great work friend" so I figured ~$50 labor isn't too unreasonable, how much do ya'll think compusa would charge her to fix / install a new 2.53 in her comp?

thoughts?

thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:11 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Personally, I'd be more apt to charge in the $175 range if this was a semi-friend that I was doing a semi-favor for. $200 is still cheaper than she's gonna get if she brings it into a repair shop, but since you know her on a semi-personal basis, you may want to adjust your figure down a tad.

Of course, it's your call, but that's MY opinion. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:19 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

One4yu2c wrote:
Personally, I'd be more apt to charge in the $175 range if this was a semi-friend that I was doing a semi-favor for. $200 is still cheaper than she's gonna get if she brings it into a repair shop, but since you know her on a semi-personal basis, you may want to adjust your figure down a tad.

Of course, it's your call, but that's MY opinion. :)

damn it how am I supposed to buy the glorious peoples BMW with that kinda of thinking.... the revolution needs money (and drugs.....oh wait) :D

anyway seriously fair enough your reasoning sounds fine, I just am more and more lately having peeps show up with the broken Spyware fuxored PC's. Often I've done work for free and all but since so many people have been asking lately I've decided to start treating it "sort of" like a small side business.

Ahhh to heck with it the Glorious Revolution needs a BMW, $200 it is :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:36 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

On a side note, if you're considering treating this a "small side business," then consider adding some value to that $200 repair. Depending on what she's running now, you can install some freebie software such as AVG and ZoneAlarm, in addition to Adaware and Spybot. Consider clearing her cache, cookies, temp files, and defragging. And finally, give her a quick tutorial in running her newly 'optimized' rig. It's not very time consuming, but it sounds like a lot and will help get spread a reputation for going that extra mile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:46 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

One4yu2c wrote:
On a side note, if you're considering treating this a "small side business," then consider adding some value to that $200 repair. Depending on what she's running now, you can install some freebie software such as AVG and ZoneAlarm, in addition to Adaware and Spybot. Consider clearing her cache, cookies, temp files, and defragging. And finally, give her a quick tutorial in running her newly 'optimized' rig. It's not very time consuming, but it sounds like a lot and will help get spread a reputation for going that extra mile.

yeah right on that those are great idea's indeed, I thank you and the glorious Peoples BMW thanks you... :D