Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Connecting 2 computers: Hub or Firewire?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:16 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I'm building a new computer and I'd like to know what is better, using a hub or connecting them through a firewire cable?

I have a Linksys 5 port 0/100mbits hub. I have cable DSL with 3Mbits download and 384Kb upload.

Is is better to buy another cable modem and connect it directly to the other computer? or a router?.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:21 am 

I would just use the hub. Why fork out more money for the cable modem. I find that there is not usally a speed issue with two or more computer on at the same time

Post subject: Re: Connecting 2 computers: Hub or Firewire?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:42 am 

kabronzky wrote:
I have a Linksys 5 port 0/100mbits hub. I have cable DSL with 3Mbits download and 384Kb upload.

Is is better to buy another cable modem and connect it directly to the other computer? or a router?.

You're better off with a router. Not knowing what your ISP provides you you may have issues with any of the other solutions. I don't know that you would be able to use two modems at the same time for the same account, or if you are allowed more than one IP address.

If you are looking to share your internet connection a router is the way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:56 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Well, I don't have to log in, so I don't know if I will have account issues, but yes, I want to use the internet in both computers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:19 am 
Willamette
Willamette

There is something called network address translation. It allows your router to share 1 ip with multiple machines. Just plug you computers into the router/switch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:37 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I tried to use the hub and they ISP blocks my modem and they have to reset it, do you know how to do it?

I''d get the router. Maybe a wireless one. Do the ISP nkow if I have a router? Yes, they charge for multiple connections

Thx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:48 pm 

you need a router. You're still using multiple IPs with the hub, which doesn't have NAT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:18 pm 

Get a wireless router and a coupler 802.11g cards. No wires, little hassle. Besides you'll have a 54mbps connection between computers which is more than enough anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:29 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I got a netgear 108Mbits. It works fine. The only problem is that sometimes I lose the internet connection, but I don't know if it's beucase of my ISP or the router. I noticed that ftp is running, but no http, so I think it's my ISP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:49 am 
Northwood
Northwood

there is much confusion on this thread.

i dont know of any DSL that is 3Mbps/384Kbps, so i'll assume you have cable.

2 cable modems will not work unless you have 2 accounts.

a hub will not help you share your cable access.

get a router.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:53 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

agree with cigarette, i have a coable modem of 10Mps, and i use a router to connect with my pc and my other machine, and i share internet along with being able to shift data throughout my network......better yet, with a router, u can get some LAN action going:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:57 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

But you don't NEED a hub/router/whatever. It's recommended, but try a simple LAN cable with a "crossover". Then you just plug it in and set up a network and internet sharing.

When going straight from one PC to the other using NIC's, you'll need the word "crossover" on the packaging. They are available most anywhere. I saw a Belkin cable at CompUSA for about $17.

A router is the more professional choice, but there's nothing saying that you can't just skip all that and use a very common cable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:14 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Chumly wrote:
But you don't NEED a hub/router/whatever. It's recommended, but try a simple LAN cable with a "crossover". Then you just plug it in and set up a network and internet sharing.

When going straight from one PC to the other using NIC's, you'll need the word "crossover" on the packaging. They are available most anywhere. I saw a Belkin cable at CompUSA for about $17.

A router is the more professional choice, but there's nothing saying that you can't just skip all that and use a very common cable.

wouldn't he need an extra NIC for that setup?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:54 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Yup... Did I miss that? I am just assuming that if he has a hub, that at least one NIC is around the house. Most boards at least have a built in hub, so...

Ya, if there's no NIC laying around, disregard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:04 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I got the router. I have a crossover cable, but you need 2 NICs, you can achieve the same thing with firewire, but i have to use internet sharing.

Somebody mention that a router will work better, because it's faster, has NAT and you don't need to have both computers on, to use the internet connection.

I got a wireless router, but I'm not using the wireless right now, and it works fine.

thanks for the advice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:57 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I've never tried 'Internet Sharing' with a x-over...I assume the PC physcially connected to the cable modem would have to be left on for the second PC to be able to still access the Inet..correct?

A decent router is only $40...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:01 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

HoOdY wrote:
I've never tried 'Internet Sharing' with a x-over...I assume the PC physcially connected to the cable modem would have to be left on for the second PC to be able to still access the Inet..correct?

A decent router is only $40...
Yup...and a decent 10/100 NIC is about $5.

There'll have to be a gateway PC that's connected to the internet to be running in order use the connection. It's pretty burdened down as Windows runs it and not hardware.

I brought this up because I saw "need" too much. It's a very cheap networking option for under $20.