Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: My first overclocking experience...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:50 am 
Million Club
Million Club

... is a very dull one, compared to what must go on within these topics.

To be honest I never seen the need for OC'ing on the average. I'd never before take the chance with my severely-limited income on pushing something faster than intended and have it burn out on me (this applies especially on my new rig, hehe), but lately I have been slowly drawn towards it especially on older rigs where parts can usually be cheaply and readily replaced.

I decided to start small: my Linux box. Pentiumm 200 MMx.

Yeah, I know, very old school, but it's all I have lying around at the time. The motherboard only has max settings of 3x multiplier and 75MHz FSB, so the most I could get is 225MHz. Not much of an overclock, I know, but it's a start... and now I want more.

For the longest time I've had a Celeron 300A sitting on my shelf with no board to put it into. I'm sure most of you here know about the 300A. ;)

It's been there over my bed for nearly a year because I can't find a good board locally and don't have the cash (atleast yet, anyways) to get one from abroad. In good time, I suppose.

And who knows? Should I ever get a job and/or steady income- *buys more lotto numbers* -I might be tempted to tweak my Barton 2600 a lil' bit. hehe

So, how did you first get into overclocking? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:07 am 
Willamette
Willamette

i overclocked a pentium 120 to 150 a very long time ago. 1996 97? overclocked my rigs up to 2001.

i dont overclock anymore/now for the same reason you arnt overclocking your main system. And really i dont need to. Right now im leaning more toward stability over running on the edge. If you arnt running a modded out system with water/water blocks/cold plates/peltier phasechange or another type of extreme cooling its not worth the attempted gain. Also when you overclock you kills your cpu faster. It causes increased electromigration which basically ages you processor faster.
There are some hardcore heatpipe rigs and heatsinks that work well too.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles798/ like this WOW!
http://www.overclockers.com/articles1043/ and more wow

If you are into benchmarking/system tweaking and modding a lot overclocking is of course for you. I might get into it again i dunno. I might try out an XP-M