Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: OC'ing and memory upgrade advice
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:15 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I've decided to start experimenting in OC'ing. After a upping myFSB in small increments my system will lock up. I'm assuming it's beacuse of my budget ram that I have installed.

Other than the ram I think I have a decent set up to do some small overclocking. So please take a look at my specs, and tell me what you think.

If you also think it may be my ram locking my system up; what kinda ram should I get? Should I stick with pc2700, or go with pc3200? Which manufactuer should I go with? Does buying 2 sticks of 512 make any difference in overclocking than buying a full 1 gig stick?

Thanks for any advice!

System specs:

Athlon XP 2100+
CoolerMaster Copper HSF
Antec 350w psu
Abit KD7A mobo (latest bios)
Radeon 9800 Pro
768mb budget ram (3 x 256 various manufactuers)
CoolerMaster WaveMaster Case (2 x 80mm intake fans, 1x 80mm exahust fan)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:25 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

if your mobo runs dual channel then you want the two sticks. also try getting some ocz, corsiar, or crucial. dont buy value ram if you plan on oc'ing. get like ocz gold/platnium or crucial ballstix, which has had some great feedback lately.

Post subject: Re: OC'ing and memory upgrade advice
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:33 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Hambone wrote:

That's going to kill your success regardless of your proc. When overclocking, not only do you want to avoid generic RAM, but having different brands will put a crimp in your OCing. You want high quality sticks (read: Corsair XMS, OCZ Gold and/or EL, Crucial Ballistix, Kingston HyperX, or Mushkin hi-performance). Also, you'll generally have better success with fewer sticks installed. For example, you'll likely get a better OC with 2x512mb sticks vs 4x256mb, even though both come out to 1g. Lastly, I would advise looking for PC3200 as a minimum. You want headroom.

Moving on to your motherboard, I read a user review online that stated there's no AGP/PCI lock. If that's the case, you're going to be overclocking those as well, so be aware. If there's no lock, I wouldn't put the risk on whatever components you have installed.

With the proc, your success is going to be limited. If it's a Palomino, I would expect a stable overclock to be under 100MHz.

Lastly, cost. Buying new RAM (especially enthusiast RAM) is not cheap, considering your proc isn't going to give stellar OCs. XPs are so inexpensive these days, if you need a performance boost you'd be better off splurging for a new processor. However, if your goal is simply to get into overclocking and get your feet wet, buying better RAM may very well be worth it to you, as that's subjective. Personally, I wouldn't do it unless I was going to be upgrading my platform as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:40 am 

Mushkin
Corsair
Crucial
Geil

I only buy Crucial myself, but any of those are good. Stay away from "OCZ", "PNY" or anything els with 3 letters.
Ocz is a horrible horrid mith - and a sorry excuse for RAM.

"Super duper , GOlden, Blig-Blig, diamond, OCZ!!" .. na, still sux0rz.

:wink:

Last edited by Burke on Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:48 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Burke wrote:
Mushkin
Corsair
Crucial
Geil

I only buy Crucial myself, but any of those are good. Stay away from "OCZ", "PNY" or anything els with 3 letters.
Ocz is a horrible horrid mith.

:wink:

I don't know what to comment on...the recommendation towards Geil or the warning against OCZ. So I won't comment at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:56 am 

Ya.

I guess after building RAM for three years and being brain-washed by Crucial, you really are limited by standards. Now, building and fixing PC's for a living and using many diffrnt peices and parts, you just get used to certian brands and know what works - and dosn't.

Hey, check out OCZ's other awsome products, such as there uber thermal paste.

But again, it's probably just the brain washing.. damn Micron.. the dreams I have.. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:44 am 
Celeron
Celeron

Quote:
Athlon XP 2100+

It uses a 133/266 fsb. With pc-2700 ram, that leaves at least 33mhz of overhead.

Quote:

GAHH!!!

please list the various manufacturers. if you dont remember the names, then we have a problem there.

Quote:
Moving on to your motherboard, I read a user review online that stated there's no AGP/PCI lock. If that's the case, you're going to be overclocking those as well, so be aware. If there's no lock, I wouldn't put the risk on whatever components you have installed.

that could be the problem there. however, after visiting abit's website, it states that the KD7A has the softmenu.

http://www.abit-usa.com/technology/softmenu.php

looks like it has the AGP/PCI locks there.

the problem is probably due to your ram setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:48 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Thanks everyone for the awesome replies!

I've been itching to get into OC'ing merely for fun, and learning. And I figure if I get a little speed boost along the way, eh, why not. :D

Just for your amusement sake i'll post the brands of my ram...have a good laugh on me. ;)

Kingston Value
Mushkin
Nanya

Guess i'll start looking for some quality ram, and maybe another proc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:52 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

Glad to hear at least 2 of the 3 sticks are made by Kingston and Mushkin. I have NEVER heard of Nanya. It may be that particular stick of ram holding your system back.

theres no need to get another proc, if you plan to overclock. It's already a good candidate.

try overclocking without the stick of Nanya ram. see if you keep getting lockups.

also, at what point (in terms of fsb and cpu clock speed) did your system lockup?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:43 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I'll take the Nanya ram out, and try upping the FSB up some.

I got my fsb up to about 145ish I believe. The comp will boot up no problem, but when I fire up a game it locks up.