Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Webhost startup
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:27 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Didn't know exactly where to post this.. figured Network would probably be the closest.

I'm trying to come up with my own webhosting business. A little something on the side, nothing major.. if it grows it's great. Kinda new to this though. I'm pretty much sure on the hardware I would need. Need some advice on the software (what I need) and I have questions on the uptime and server connection.

Could I host out of cable modem? If I connect the cable modem and server to a APC Back-UPS.. would that still stay alive on power outtages? I have one that gives me 69 minutes of backup time on outtages (plenty of time IMO).

Anyone with experience.. Please advice. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Webhost startup
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:08 am 

Seiken2099 wrote:
I'm trying to come up with my own webhosting business. Could I host out of cable modem?

The short answer is yes, but you couldn't resell the service as it would violate your TOS with the cable provider. Additionally the cable provider is going to block some ports that you might want to use.

Seiken2099 wrote:
I'm pretty much sure on the hardware I would need. Need some advice on the software (what I need) and I have questions on the uptime and server connection.

I'd recommend a server for both hardware and software. You'll want RAID5 for data security along with daily backups. For software you'll need an FTP server and Web server at a minimum, mail might be nice. You can take your pick from *nix, Novell, or Windows.

For your data line you're going to want a dedicated line with full up and download speeds another reason why a cable modem wouldn't be good for this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:37 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

So what's above Cable? ... T1? :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:56 pm 
I miss my [Ch]ams!
I miss my [Ch]ams!

T1, SDSL might be a more cost effective alternative. The major problem with cable, aside from the terms of service, would be lack of static IP. You won't be able to use a dynamic IP to host your servers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:48 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Seiken2099 wrote:
Could I host out of cable modem?

Yes, but you need to sign up with Business Class Cable and not Residential because you would most likely be violating your contact/TOS.

Seiken2099 wrote:
If I connect the cable modem and server to a APC Back-UPS.. would that still stay alive on power outtages? I have one that gives me 69 minutes of backup time on outtages (plenty of time IMO).

If you've got one of those shoebox sized computers, I'm sure a large UPS could handle it for about an hour. The question is, are you also going to hook your cable modem and router up to the UPS as well? you might want to look into more then one or calculate the wattage they suck up and decide what size UPS would work in that case.

Also, write a business plan....it really does help.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:23 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Seiken2099 wrote:
Could I host out of cable modem? If I connect the cable modem and server to a APC Back-UPS.. would that still stay alive on power outtages? I have one that gives me 69 minutes of backup time on outtages (plenty of time IMO).

Yes you can, but as Flytrap says, it's not cost effective and you're probably breaking your TOS. Most (if not all) Cable modem companies do NOT like the idea of hosting websites on their servers. My DSL provider lets me, and I've been doing so (I hosted a full domain on my crappy server once with HTTP, FTP, POP, and SMTP). The only thing you have to remember about hosting on dynamic IP's is that you need a dynamic DNS service.

Seiken2099 wrote:
Didn't know exactly where to post this.. figured Network would probably be the closest.

I'm trying to come up with my own webhosting business. A little something on the side, nothing major.. if it grows it's great. Kinda new to this though. I'm pretty much sure on the hardware I would need. Need some advice on the software (what I need) and I have questions on the uptime and server connection.

You'd want to get a real hosting company then. Honestly, the website I serve out of my home server is a cheapy website. It's nice for stuff between family and friends, but for anything professional, I'd rather opt for a more professional solution. Check out www.arshost.com it's ran by one of the MaxPC elites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:00 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I'm guessing your upstream speeds will be WAY to slow (128-256Mbps) for hosting out of your house. You should prolly look at some type of symetric circuit (ie. SDSL, T1).

and again a bus plan is key. You may also find it hard to sell hosting services that are based out of your house running off of residential AC power.

There are sooo many inexpensive hosting providers out there that colo in carrier-class facilities..some as cheap as 5-10/mo. Hosting is virtually a commodity now. It will prolly be tough to formulate a money-making plan.

On the flip side, it could be some cool experience for you to set something small up and let your friends host and run mail.

I currently have colo'd servers in a couple data centers and do this for friends/family for free...look at using Linux, most everything you need is inherent. For web serving I use Apache and for mail Qmail.

good luck!!