Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Thanks MaximumPC Magazine
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:44 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:50 pm
Posts: 17008
Location: Folding on the Best Team in the World
What are the Elder Statesmen of MaximumPC Folding doing these days ??

GM, Phred and G are starting to fold for the MaxPC_Staff username.

We plan to fold for them until they are over 1 million points.
EOC Stats at this time Click Here

At 1,000,000 points we will set them adrift (on their own) and see how they like it up there.

The goal is to show the magazine our appreciation for their sponsorship and support of the folding team since it's inception under their banner.

............................. Thanks .........................Image

If each member of the Top20 producers would like to add 1 additional processor, we would be pleased to have their help on this endeavor. Anyone else that feels a need to be part of this is also welcome. 1 processor each is all we are suggesting anyone donate (except the elderly folders mentioned above).

If you are involved in heavy competition or trying to get to a certain goal by a time definite, we understand. No one should feel bad if they can't participate for any reason.

We will get to the goal and the magazine will get the recognition we all feel they deserve.

For you folks that don't care much for collectives, here are my thoughts:

This is just shuffling points around (I agree)

This is temporary and has an end in mind.

In a while we will have another username with over 1 million points ( I'm looking forward to the day when we have 100 of them - imagine the top100 million point club - it will happen). It seems only right that the MaxPC_Staff username be among that group of folders and high on the page.

No one should feel bad as the MaxPC_Staff username goes by them in the rankings, they will probably have a processor in there helping make it happen.

I hope everyone sees this as a positive step and enjoys watching the results even if they can't participate.


It is not impossible we could push six out of the top producer spot for a while. I'm sure he will understand and probably have a processor helping the cause.

Watch for MaxPC_Staff on the top20 producers very soon.

Thanks MaximumPC Magazine


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:52 pm 
Team Member
Team Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:19 am
Posts: 2850
Location: The Island
Congratulations!

It's gonna take a while, but it's all for a worthy cause.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:32 pm 
Folding Master (Top-ranked)
Folding Master (Top-ranked)

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:22 pm
Posts: 2061
Location: Toledo, Ohio
2 of my processors turned in points today. We are shuffling points and happy to do it.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:33 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:09 pm
Posts: 820
Location: Folding as yo mama
Oh heck yeah! I'm moving a system over there right now. Great idea. Been wondering where some of Y'all were sending your points.

GO MaxPC_Staff!!!
|{inside my head voice}| (lets see... if i send the pentium d over there, using folding logic, that justifies buying another one for my username...HHHHHMMmmmmm..)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:46 pm 
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:02 am
Posts: 6117
Location: I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it
Got my linux box switched over...
time to allow a few to overtake me since I'm going for the greater good!

62% done so should have an additional 166 points by tonight


Last edited by screwballl on Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:00 pm 
Loves hairy feet
Loves hairy feet
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:02 pm
Posts: 573
Location: In my Garden
hey. nice work here. Its great when people can get together to help a fellow folder(s) out.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:55 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:00 am
Posts: 2082
Location: Saint Augustine, Fl
Good thinking guys, you can count on me for one good processor. I think I recall the staff putting up some good numbers themselves a couple of months back. I was wondering what happened??

Great Idea

-Thunar


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:10 pm 
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:02 am
Posts: 6117
Location: I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it
I am curious if they ever setup the DMX and all these test computers up to fold for a week or two how it would help the cause. Thats something that may be nice to run by Will Smith and other actual staff (or just have an intern sneak it into the services lol that would throw a monkey wrench into the benchmarks).


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:13 pm 
Loves hairy feet
Loves hairy feet
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:02 pm
Posts: 573
Location: In my Garden
screwballl wrote:
I am curious if they ever setup the DMX and all these test computers up to fold for a week or two how it would help the cause. Thats something that may be nice to run by Will Smith and other actual staff (or just have an intern sneak it into the services lol that would throw a monkey wrench into the benchmarks).


well... in my experience... F@H only throws about 1-2% wrench into the marks...

Image


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thanks MaximumPC Magazine
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:18 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:51 pm
Posts: 1805
Location: CLEVELAND, I SUPPOSE.... WELL SUPPOSE I AIN'T UP FOR SUPPOSIN ,THEN I GUESS ILL START FIGURIN!
gsmitheman wrote:



If you are involved in heavy competition or trying to get to a certain goal by a time definite, we understand. No one should feel bad if they can't participate for any reason.



i am doing both

but i will still do it
im not worried about them its a thousand + days between us
pluss victory would be sweeter

thay make me laugh

icecream makes me happy

ill turn the box in the morn in bed now


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:34 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 8:28 am
Posts: 3673
Location: The Blue Nowhere
I got in two new machines that need to be built and configured, I get to fold them while they are in the office. I will set them both up for the staff.

2x 2.8ghz w/512mb


Thanks, MaxPC!


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:47 pm 
Team Member Top 50*
Team Member Top 50*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:48 pm
Posts: 3367
Location: Folding in Ontario, Canada ------------------------- Team Rank: 44
DMX was folding for a while before it went on tour. I think the staff was getting over 3K PPD around that time.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:32 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:45 am
Posts: 15220
I hadn't looked for a long time to see how they were doing, wow, their at 51.

Can't wait to see this ride. :D


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:34 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 1:13 pm
Posts: 2308
Thanks guys! This is awesome!

We were well on our way in June/July, then life intervened.

We've been really busy during the last few months. Gordon and I were the main Folders, and neither of us has had a lot of time lately. He's got a new baby at home, and I've been pretty busy at work.

I did just build a new X2 4800+ box, which I need to set folding up on though, and I need to fix the install on the dual G5s at work. Unfortunately, DMX is off the grid for a while.

///Will


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:52 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:22 pm
Posts: 27395
Location: In a cage, dumbass.
WillSmith wrote:
Thanks guys! This is awesome!

We were well on our way in June/July, then life intervened.

We've been really busy during the last few months. Gordon and I were the main Folders, and neither of us has had a lot of time lately. He's got a new baby at home, and I've been pretty busy at work.

I did just build a new X2 4800+ box, which I need to set folding up on though, and I need to fix the install on the dual G5s at work. Unfortunately, DMX is off the grid for a while.

///Will


You do know that the machines can fold by themselves without taking up your time right? ;)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:40 pm 
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:02 am
Posts: 6117
Location: I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it
I would think that you could leave folding running as a service with DMX while on the road, just have someone toss a usb wifi connection into it long enough to send and receive the WU... :lol: I am sure the interns don't have enough to do yet :D


joking of course


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:47 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 7:59 pm
Posts: 18
Location: R.I.P. Stratplan, I salute you. . .
Okay, count me in. I'll be setting up one machine for team. I was hoping to get into the top ten group, but I'll have to wait awhile. . . :)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:19 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:18 pm
Posts: 8537
Location: Lookin' at you from outside the cage
Hey Will .... when you get DMX back would you be able to fold with it for awhile and post some ppd numbers so we can all dream and get a warm fuzzy feeling that someday we'll each have one???????

How about a blurb and some specs and benchmarks on your X2 4800+ machine in the mag. I know everyone here in the folding @ home section are very interested in dual core machines.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:51 am 
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:02 am
Posts: 6117
Location: I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it
staypuff wrote:
Hey Will .... when you get DMX back would you be able to fold with it for awhile and post some ppd numbers so we can all dream and get a warm fuzzy feeling that someday we'll each have one???????

How about a blurb and some specs and benchmarks on your X2 4800+ machine in the mag. I know everyone here in the folding @ home section are very interested in dual core machines.


some are even more interested how a dual proc dual core does :D


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:28 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 1:13 pm
Posts: 2308
Spider Monkey wrote:
WillSmith wrote:
Thanks guys! This is awesome!

We were well on our way in June/July, then life intervened.

We've been really busy during the last few months. Gordon and I were the main Folders, and neither of us has had a lot of time lately. He's got a new baby at home, and I've been pretty busy at work.

I did just build a new X2 4800+ box, which I need to set folding up on though, and I need to fix the install on the dual G5s at work. Unfortunately, DMX is off the grid for a while.

///Will


You do know that the machines can fold by themselves without taking up your time right? ;)


Yeah, but the problem is that in the lab, when people are using their machines for all sorts of stuff and reimaging fairly frequently, we need to continue adding F@H back to the boxes. After all, we can't really benchmark stuff with Folding running, that wouldn't be fair.


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

© 2014 Future US, Inc. All rights reserved.