Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: question about XP disc
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:06 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:11 am
Posts: 124
Location: 127.0.0.1
I have purchased a copy of windows xp disc from my school. It is not an OEM disc and has all those fancy anti-piracy stuff on the label side of the disc. However, the disc does say "illegal without a separate license".

what does this license term mean? If I go to a store and buy a $199 copy, does it say the samething on the disc?

This also brings up my next question. I have installed windows xp on my machine. then something happened one time and I was forced to wipe out the disk and reinstall it. I heard the rumor that an XP disc can only be used twice. Is this true? so if I wipe out the computer again, I must purchase another disc??? that's retarded, isnt it?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: question about XP disc
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:18 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:47 pm
Posts: 3731
Location: Las Vegas
emanresu wrote:
I have purchased a copy of windows xp disc from my school. It is not an OEM disc and has all those fancy anti-piracy stuff on the label side of the disc. However, the disc does say "illegal without a separate license".

what does this license term mean? If I go to a store and buy a $199 copy, does it say the samething on the disc?

This also brings up my next question. I have installed windows xp on my machine. then something happened one time and I was forced to wipe out the disk and reinstall it. I heard the rumor that an XP disc can only be used twice. Is this true? so if I wipe out the computer again, I must purchase another disc??? that's retarded, isnt it?


You got an MDA or MDL or MCL what ever its called version (I can't 'member). I have one as well. I don't know why it says the license thing - mine came straight from MS and I only got the disks and numbers.

The version you have can only be TRANSFERRED once (noramlly its twice I think). This is not the same as loading it or using it. I have used mine twice already and I use XP Corpraite at work - the same disk all the time. Works fine.

Transfer means giving it to someone else.

So its fine - you have a full version and its legit - you just can't sell it.

Manta


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:42 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:11 am
Posts: 124
Location: 127.0.0.1
hi Manta,

thank you for the information. My disc also has a license key in the back.

the interesting thing is that when I bought my computer, it came with OEM windows xp home, so it has its own license key. When I installed xp pro, I tried to enter the license key for home edition, and it did not work.

so if i need to wipe out my computer again, the xp disc should not give me any problems, right? I can still install it and then activate it, right?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:30 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:47 pm
Posts: 3731
Location: Las Vegas
emanresu wrote:
hi Manta,

thank you for the information. My disc also has a license key in the back.

the interesting thing is that when I bought my computer, it came with OEM windows xp home, so it has its own license key. When I installed xp pro, I tried to enter the license key for home edition, and it did not work.

so if i need to wipe out my computer again, the xp disc should not give me any problems, right? I can still install it and then activate it, right?


As long as you use the XP disc to do the "wipe out" you should be fine. Its possible that the XP pro disk you have is upgrade only - so you *might* have to install the OEM version and then the Pro version - but I doubt it.

For home (OEM) use the OEM #
For Pro - use the number MS gave you.

WOrse case, you may have an activation problem - you have 30days to call MS and clear it up with them when this happens (they are normally very nice about it). Normally they will just give you a code or something once you explain yourself. If you have a reciept of some type - save it. One problem you could have in the future is if you change machines. and try to install XP there - it may not let you activate - uninstalling it from one machine and transferring it to another may count as a "transfer" - I really don't know. If it is, you can only do it once with your license - and they *might* want proof you bought it. I doubt that as well - but its possible.

have fun

Manta

Unlike other academic licenses, once you are out of school, you can continue to use the OS (assuming you have what I have) legally.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:36 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:11 am
Posts: 124
Location: 127.0.0.1
hi Manta,

the pro disc I have is a full-installation one, so that is not a problem there.

If I get another computer, I will just buy another copy because it is only 10 bucks.

thanks for the info


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:57 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:47 pm
Posts: 3731
Location: Las Vegas
emanresu wrote:
hi Manta,

the pro disc I have is a full-installation one, so that is not a problem there.

If I get another computer, I will just buy another copy because it is only 10 bucks.

thanks for the info


Check with your school - mine keeps track of names and will only let you buy one.

Have fun

talk to ya later

Manta


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:15 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:24 pm
Posts: 4329
Location: Aggieland, TX
emanresu wrote:
hi Manta,

the pro disc I have is a full-installation one, so that is not a problem there.

If I get another computer, I will just buy another copy because it is only 10 bucks.

thanks for the info


As long as you only use that copy of XP Pro on one PC at a time(ie you dont try to install it on two working computers at the same time), then you can use the same copy on a new PC. Just be sure to wipe the old HDD if you sell it so that you dont have to worry about your CD Key being active on two computers.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:59 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:11 am
Posts: 124
Location: 127.0.0.1
hi Manta, and SomeGuy,

thank you both for contributing. I guess for now I will just live with what I have. It will be at least a couple of years before I get another computer.

the license thing is getting overly complicated...


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:26 am 
Willamette
Willamette
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:34 pm
Posts: 1182
Location: So Cal
i wouldnt worry about it


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:58 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:11 am
Posts: 124
Location: 127.0.0.1
worry about what? the licensing?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:18 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:24 pm
Posts: 4329
Location: Aggieland, TX
Its not really that complicated.

One license = one instance of the app installed, but you are allowed to transfer to a different machine if you no longer run the old one.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:25 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:11 am
Posts: 124
Location: 127.0.0.1
since you mentioned the word "instance" some strange thoughts just came up...

can I do this:

partition the hard drive so it will have three partitions, two for boot and one for data.

install the same windows XP on both boot partition, so that if one failed (like be infected by a virus), i can boot using another?

will this be feasible? but is it legal to do?


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

© 2014 Future US, Inc. All rights reserved.