Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:31 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Brvhrt wrote:
Well Pilgrim, when ther'e only CL making sound bds and they can charge whatever they want to, you might. Or least I would. Think about what you would be paying for an Inel chip if AMD wasnt around or what you would pay for a video bd if ATI and NVidia werent in competition. Not to mention what would happen to the quality of the said products.

Pilgrim? :?

I've been around the industry long enough to know that hardware monopolies do not last. If IBM can't keep the industry under their heel (and everyone thought they would, for a while), how can Creative Labs possibly do so?

Let's not forget that CL produces a part that is optional ... and it is becoming more optional with every year. When the first soundblasters were introduced to the market, they had no 'real' competition. Now, there are integrated sound solutions that are at least as good (and some say better) than CL's add-in cards.

Intel and AMD are involved in a very different kind of battle ... for the 'heart' of the personal computer. CL is on the outskirts, fighting little skirmishes.

Most importantly .. this is what a capitalist market does, and this is how it is supposed to function. It is quite different than using an antiquated patent system to appropriate someone else's intellectual property and then charging them to use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:44 pm 

While not giving up completely on CL I have switched to my onboard audio. I have an Asus P4C800 deluxe mobo and I'm using the SPDIF out and with proper tweaking of my kenwood reciever i'm getting some amazing sounds. I also haven't noticed an real fram rate drops in Doom3 or any other game I have.

Anyone wanna buy an Audigy card?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:28 am 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

Jipstyle wrote:

Let's not forget that CL produces a part that is optional ... and it is becoming more optional with every year. When the first soundblasters were introduced to the market, they had no 'real' competition. Now, there are integrated sound solutions that are at least as good (and some say better) than CL's add-in cards.

At this stage in the game, the vast majority of integrated sound chips ALSO involve money changing hands towards Creative, either directly or through royalties. Creatives patents stretch the length and bredth of consumer PC sound.