Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Taking an A+ Course in high school, what should I take next?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:21 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I was thinking Net+ but I could either take it over the summer, or wait to take it next school year. Is there something else that I could take that would be recommended? On a side note I've taken on an IT internship through my school, so anything extra I might need to know would be helpful (I'm being trained to use Norton Ghost, and I know my way around WLANS pretty well, dunno what I'd need to know outside of that)

Post subject: Re: Taking an A+ Course in high school, what should I take n
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:26 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

alp689 wrote:
I was thinking Net+ but I could either take it over the summer, or wait to take it next school year. Is there something else that I could take that would be recommended? On a side note I've taken on an IT internship through my school, so anything extra I might need to know would be helpful (I'm being trained to use Norton Ghost, and I know my way around WLANS pretty well, dunno what I'd need to know outside of that)

Security+ is where I'd turn to next. Network and data Security demand is rising and you'll be ahead of many people to get certs here first. Good money too if you know your stuff.

Most companies I've worked with do not look hard at certs but more so at the experience one has. I'm self-taught in Server Operations and LAN management, no schooling and just an MCP but make over 70K... (still can't believe I get paid to play with computers, lol! "Play" to me is anything to do with them!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:33 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Location: Defragging brain. Sector 25642401. Percent complete: 01000000%. 64-bit me.
If you want to know what a company wants in a IT Professional, just look at the jobs boards online across the country. I've seen people getting paid 70K and above on a BS with 7yrs experience. I'm only 18 and I am looking at a 40K job right out of high school, in which I've already graduated. Just working on transportation issues with Progressive (freaken insurance companies).

I'd agree with Network Security and even Network+ (thinking about Net+ myself since I took a CCNA course in high school and have already completed my A+ Certification). Just seems easier than taking the CCNA since they don't change the Net+ every 3 to 4 years.

Good luck in your endeavors!

P.S. What grade you in? High school or college level?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:44 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

16 and a sophmore in high school. I recently got a paid IT internship through the district (it's only 7.50 an hour but it's a start...) so I'm hoping to build off of the experiece. I looked at CompTia's website, and I'm thinking I'll Security+ over the summer, and take Net+ through my school my junior year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:55 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I heard a Microsoft cert is good.

i

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:13 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

??? I think this one counts as long dead buddy. I've already cleared it up that I'm going for Net+ then Security+, and then I dunno.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:39 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I think you should take college next ;-)

certs are 'o.k.' IMHO

My MBA has carried me further in my career than my expired certs