Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: new machine turning off by itself... Arrrgggghhhh....
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:15 pm 

:(
I have a new 3200XP and a new kick-ass A7n8x MOBO.
1 gig of ram, SATA drive, all new stuff. I've built lots of machines, but this one is giving me problems.
After about 20 minutes or so, it shuts off. A probe of the CPU temp shows about 48C to start, and it goes up to about 53 C, and then when I run a 3d game, it plays ok for about 5 minutes, then the machine shuts off.
Very frustrating. I didn't think 53 was that bad.
I got a coolermaster Dream 2 cpu fan...
The only old companant is the power supply. It's 400W, which I figure is ok...Of course I have new XP pro, SP1, all good drivers for my Geforce 5600fx, DirectX 9b, etc, etc...

Any ideas? Should I grab a 450W or 500W power supply? Shouldn't 400 be enough? Is there any other reasons why a machine just turns off like that? With no blue screen of death, it can't be an OS problem, sounds hardware to me.

Thanks for any help,
Steve
Steve@theinstructor.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:47 pm 

I suspect the supply to be the culprit. If yours is a generic one, it probably don't deliver enough power cos generic PSUs rating is somewhat misleading since a 400w rating represent the peak performance and only under a relatively low temperature. Your best bet is to get a PSU from a recognised company like PC Power And Cooling or Antec.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:38 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

i would try another power unit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:23 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I'd suspect your CPU is overheating.

53C at idle is way warm for these current AMD procs. Back in the T-bird days, that was normal, but now you should be running low 40s or maybe 30s at idle.

REcheck that the heatsink is attached properly and the thermal paste is applied properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:17 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

i would also suspect that the cpu is overheating. 53c is a bad temperature when you've just loaded into windows. playing a game would make the temperature worse, causing the automatic shut down (in your mobo) to activate. dont know if the a7n8x's have this feature, but thats probably the reason why. and no, i am not suggesting you to turn off that feature either. you should look into a new hsf if those temps are with the stock cooler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:51 pm 

check your ram...if you have multiple sticks take one out see what happens try the other...if not try some other ram in it...i had the same problem before it was my ram

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:15 pm 

Sounds power supply to me. I have had an XP run at 58C constant with no problems. Didn't like it and got better cooling but it ran o.k.

Did you see the story on power supplies in Max PC? Heat kills the output of them. You may be having heat build up and reduce the amount of power output. In this line of thinking you run into a can of worms so to speak. If your power supply is not putting out enough, it may cause your cpu to heat up when it is stressed and look like it is the cpu. In my experience, when I had CPU heat issues they showed up a lot faster than five minutes of playing games. But if your power supply is getting hot and reducing output it would take a short time to heat up. Also is it a quality 400 Watt? The lesser quality ones may say hi wattage, but that is a peak rather than a sustained.

Hope this helps...

Reed

Post subject: tip for blue screen appear
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:08 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

You can go to System Properties by clicking with right mouse button on "My Computer" now go to Advanced and enter to "Startup and Recovery" Settings

Then on system failure title, there are 3 boxes checked, just disable the 3rd one called "automatically reboot"

And play until the error appears, but it won't reboot now, you will see a Windows Blue screen with the error if the screen does'n freezes before, and you can post the error to us.

Hope this help.

Good luck.

GALLO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:48 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

it sounds like either the psu or the proc is overheating. first thing i would try is the psu, then if that doesnt solve it, get a new hsf. i recommend either the thermalright slk-947u or the thermalright sp-97

Post subject: OK, guys, here's more to the story...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:59 am 

I replaced my PSU with a 500W, real nice thermalcool kick-ass.

I installed a Aquarius 2 liquid cooling system I had in the closet for a year and never had the guts to install. My CPU temp now hovers around 45C, whcih is awesome, considering AMD's website says the die temp can go to 80.

I replaced my geforce 5600FX card, which I should NOT have had to do, with an ATI 9600 256meg card, which should easily handle this system for kickass games.

Thief 3 now runs fine for about 20 minutes, and then the machine turns off, just like before. Having the machine not reboot automatically would NOT solve this problem, as it is NOT the OS shutting down the machine. It is definatly a hardware thing, as it is a HARD turn-off, not a soft.

I've never seen this before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:16 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Go ahead and enable the BSOD message if you havent already just to eliminate another possibility (your symptoms CAN be caused by them).

My next suspicion is faulty RAM, or perhaps mobo or cpu.

Post subject: Less can reveal more..
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:11 am 

It does sound more to be a ram problem. but to be sure I would use only one stick of ram and just the least amout of hardware to get your system running CPU w/heatsink and fans, 1 stick of ram, & video. Disconnect/pullout any sound or network cards, drives and cd-rom's or burners not needed to start the pc. Then play a game and see what happens. Hope this helps get more of a solution. 8)