Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: McAfee Internet Security 2004 issues
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:20 pm 

Recently I installed and configed MIS 2004 on my sister-in-law's PC. Everything is set up and works as it should, however... after logging in to XP browsing/resolution works perfectly through either IE or FireFox. On the other hand, if you leave the PC idle for 5-10 minutes and come back to browse pages again, both browsers error out resolving addresses. The only resolution I have is to reboot and it works fine again; until the machine sits idle again. There doesn't seem to be any idle timers to set, which was my first guess. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the suite as well. One more thing... disabling the firewall doesn't do any good. Is something binding to the TCP/IP stack and interfereing with name resolution? Any ideas?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:47 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Bah, Norton and McAfee's Internet Suite's suck.

If you can, install JUST the anti-virus portion of it.
Then, install a decent firewall (the free ZA would be a good choice), and also go ahead and do spyware stuff.

Obviously you need to either set the programs up to run and update automatically, or you need to make sure she does it regularly herself.

Our Dell laptop came with Norton's Internet Security 2004 suite and all it suceeded in doing was keeping us from accessing any websites at all (I bet norton's would have worked but I never though to try).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:36 am 

You know, now that I think about it, I'm wondering if I may have set parental controls on the user account. I've also got it installed on a PC at work -- for testing -- and it works flawlessly. I can access any site I want and I get propmpted for updates as they come across the wire. That's the only thing I can think of. If that's not the case next time I look at her PC, I'll prolly wind up pulling it off and installing something else. :roll:

Anti-spyware is something I'm pretty big on too. I don't want to have to make 16 trips a day because a host of spyware bugs keep changing the hosts file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:00 pm 

Yea, you may have found the issuse. But, if that doesnt fix it, i would definitely (note that it is spelled correctly) get rid of mcafee products. They tend to cause problems more often than not.