Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Two Wireless Routers - One Cable Modem - Internet for all
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:23 pm 

I have two wireless routers, Linksys 11B and Netgear 11G. I want to create two separate networks (separate channels, separate DHCP ranges), but enable both for internet access

Can I plug Router B WAN port into the Cable Modem, then plug Router G WAN port into the switch ports of Router B? I am not sure if the both networks will be routable.

Do you recommend a better approach?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:27 pm 

IIRC, the mag had something like that in one of their broadband sharing articles. What they did was got two IP addresses from their provider. Then they got a switch and plugged the cable modem into that, and then plugged a router and access point into the switch (or a wired and wireless router - I forget the specifics).

What it allowed them to do was have a network solely for one group of systems - in this case wired - and another for wireless.

Something along that line would probably be the easiest way to set your stuff up. You can use the second router as another switch, but it'll probably cause conflicts if you have both set up for NAT or DHCP or something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:40 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Is that all you have is two wireless??

What you're saying should work, but I'd be manualy assigning IPs to those things to avoid any confusions.

Post subject: Re: Two Wireless Routers - One Cable Modem - Internet for al
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:02 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

yeller989 wrote:
I have two wireless routers, Linksys 11B and Netgear 11G. I want to create two separate networks (separate channels, separate DHCP ranges), but enable both for internet access

Can I plug Router B WAN port into the Cable Modem, then plug Router G WAN port into the switch ports of Router B? I am not sure if the both networks will be routable.

Do you recommend a better approach?

You can do it. Why do you need the two separate subnets?

What you're asking is simply for the one router to act as the gateway router to the next router. You would run the line from the cable modem to the first router, then use the uplink or a switched port to run another link to the wan port on the second router. You would have two distinct wireless subnets.

That should work without much problem, but it's really not a recommended way of doing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:07 am 

My goal is to send media files over the G network without B devices slowing everything down. I heard (and maybe you can confirm) that if B devices are on a G network, everyone's traffic slows to B speed.

I figured it would be easier to have separate B and G networks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:38 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

yeller989 wrote:
My goal is to send media files over the G network without B devices slowing everything down. I heard (and maybe you can confirm) that if B devices are on a G network, everyone's traffic slows to B speed.

I figured it would be easier to have separate B and G networks.

Nothing is simple when you're mixing media like this. Nor will it be cheap. Reconsider your expectations of what you are doing, and the price point you want to do it at and see if you can get inventive. You're trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. If you want to stream dedicatedto video and/or multimedia, then 802.11a will provide a lot less cluttered band, plus exclusive bandwidth.

There's no need to share existing file sharing and internet services on the same wireless connection...none what so ever.

Plus, you have a limited budget, but something like this isn't for limited budgets. Take this into consideration: 802.11b and g both have limited bandwidth. As soon as you bridge both connectins, one connection is going to have to slow down to communicate with the other. You're wasting bandwidth and money in the 802.11g. Just keep your entire wireless network consistent. You can still run a wireless network for laptops and the such, but do not run your multimedia services on the same topology - you risk picture degradation and a large loss in quality.

Having the separate channel that really can't interfere with any other devices is a good reason to get 802.11a.