Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Active Directory
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:23 pm 

Can anyone explain active directory and when it's being implemented?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:55 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

um...it's been included since windows 2000 server has been around.

Post subject: Re: Active Directory
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:02 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

blink wrote:
Can anyone explain active directory and when it's being implemented?

Here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Directory

Active Directory has since been implemented in Windows 2000 Server Family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:35 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Active Directory is really just a big, huge database of information that relates to each other, such as resources (network shares, printers, , groups of people, people, and things.

It's designed for corporate network management and the centralization of services. It's also a way of Microsoft punishing it's users for listening to it's hype and rhetoric and believing it...heh,heh. ;-) Just kidding. It's not perfect, and in fact many people that hate it just don't know how to use it properly but then blame crashes on AD, not on themselves.

It's a bit more complicated, but Active Directory also uses many different technologies within itself that allows information to be stored, retrieved, and referenced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:40 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Wolfmann wrote:
Active Directory is really just a big, huge database of information that relates to each other, such as resources (network shares, printers, , groups of people, people, and things.

It's designed for corporate network management and the centralization of services. It's also a way of Microsoft punishing it's users for listening to it's hype and rhetoric and believing it...heh,heh. ;-) Just kidding. It's not perfect, and in fact many people that hate it just don't know how to use it properly but then blame crashes on AD, not on themselves.

It's a bit more complicated, but Active Directory also uses many different technologies within itself that allows information to be stored, retrieved, and referenced.

Active Directory is nothing but a Microsoft-fied version of LDAP. AD objects are somewhat similar to LDAP objects. I'd like to see whether or not LDAP plays nicely with AD and vice versa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:59 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

It's a bit more involved than that. It is x.500 compatible for database structure, and LDAP itself it simply a database access method/protocol, so saying that AD is just Microsoft-LDAP is a bit unfair.

It's a bit more involved than just that. However I dunno if you could use LDAP in let's say Linux to do it...all the information to do it is open, so I don't see why not. SAMBA has been using Microsoft's SMB for a long time for cross-compatibility.

For a large network, I'd rather have AD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:44 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Wolfmann wrote:
It's a bit more involved than that. It is x.500 compatible for database structure, and LDAP itself it simply a database access method/protocol, so saying that AD is just Microsoft-LDAP is a bit unfair.

It's a bit more involved than just that. However I dunno if you could use LDAP in let's say Linux to do it...all the information to do it is open, so I don't see why not. SAMBA has been using Microsoft's SMB for a long time for cross-compatibility.

For a large network, I'd rather have AD.

Actually, Active Directory is a Microsoft-fied LDAP network. Here's the Wikipedia description:

Quote:
Active Directory is an implementation of LDAP directory services by Microsoft for use in Windows environments. Active Directory was released first with Windows 2000 and saw some revision in Windows 2003.

It's essentially LDAP for Windows, well, it's a MS-Centric LDAP for Windows. For a large network running a pure Windows platform, yes, I'd rather have AD. But my network comprises of Linux boxes, so I'd rather have LDAP and NFS.