Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: overclocking program
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:22 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

so i am not new to computers by anymeans, but i am new to this whole overclocking thing. i did a search but couldnt find the answer to my question. what are good programs to use to overclock my machine, and where do i find them?

First off i should say that my processor is an FX-53 socket 939, and i have a Zalman 7000cu hsf. i dont want to kill this thing, but i would like to see maybe 2.8GHz out of this thing. i dont think this is an unrealistic goal.

second, i have am eVGA GeForce 6800gt and would like to overclock this as well but i am not sure how much or fast i should push it.

this is all running on a gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP-939. which as most of you already know is an nForce3 ultra chipset.

the last info i think you guys need is that i am using a silverstone case with 2 120mm case fans to get the cooling job done.

i think that should be it, if any more info is needed thats no problem, thanks for all your help ahead of time guys!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:54 pm 

First of alll for your cpu... you can go into the bios and raise the fsb a few notch at a time and test the system out to see if it is stable(ie. using 3dmark**** to test the stability). Then restart and go back into the bios and raise the fsb more and keep testing until your computer becomes unstable. Then raise the v.core for your cpu by a little, not to exceed 1.7 volts for a newb overclocker. And for your videocard. diwnload a program called POWERSTRIP and up the core and memory by say.. 5mhz each time and play games or use benchmarking programs and look for artifacts.. keep repeating until you see artifacts and lower the mhz by say.. 10 mhz and that's your maximum overclocked videocard. O and by the way.. y would you need to overclock your system?? it's so top of the line!!! except the GT but you can get it to ULTRA speed or faster with no problem since they are like the samething. GL on your overclocking experience ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:38 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

yea your computer is already top of line but you probably could push it really far and see nice results. reply back post results

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:11 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

well i will try those things...as soon as i move into my dorm tomorrow. right now my computer is in a box. now that you mention it, i do remember seeing the fsb setting in my bios. thanks for the help, i will let you know the results for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:52 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

ok so i got my videocard up to 380/1050 which doesnt seem all that bad..... does anybody know what kind of 3dmark03 score i should be getting?
i have run it 3 times so far and the first time i ran it last night i got somewhere in the 8400 range, this morning i ran it and got a 7643 and i just ran it after a reboot and i shut down several processes and got a 10999. from what i can tell these seem pretty low even the 10999 one.
in my bios my agp bus is defaulted at 66mhz, i think i should turn that up but i was not sure if i should before asking first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:49 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

You can compare your scores with others that have the same card and see if you're where you should be.

As for the 66MHz, don't touch it. You want it locked along with the PCI bus (33MHz).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:46 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

One4yu2c wrote:

As for the 66MHz, don't touch it. You want it locked along with the PCI bus (33MHz).
*pssst* AGP is 66Mhz stock. Needs locked down at that, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:46 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Yes, that's what I meant...I should have broke that into two sentences for clarity :D

Since he wants to overclock, first thing he should do is lock the AGP/PCI bus, 66/33 respectively.