Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Fall is coming, how much more can I OC with dead NB Fan?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:54 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Hey all. We've been having some unusual temps here in the great lakes area. It was the first time that I've had temps at or below 20C in the room I have this computer in, with the new proc.

Here's what I've got:
AMD Barton 2500+ w/333mhz FSB @ 3200+ via 400mhz fsb (DDR).
Abit NF7-S (2?) mobo with dead Northbridge fan. I suppose I could plug it back in, but it sounds like a freaking buzzsaw.
512mb Mushkin PC 3200 (DDR 400)
Nvidia FX 5200 with 128mb? DDR (?mhz)

Now, I've been folding for the past month or so with no problems, with room temps at about 75-85F. In the fall these temps should drop to 68F or below (my folks will not heat the house above 68F)

I checked the CPU temps when the temps got down below 68F (20C), they were about 42-44C, with mainboard temps running about 24C, wich I was very happy about.

I figure I can let the temps go up another 5C without problem, and from what I've seen that should = a lot of added Mhz.

However, the one thing that everyone said about unplugging my NB fan was that it would be okay as long as I hadn't done any serious oc'ing. By that I believe they mean increasing the voltage, which I have not done.

So, this fall, how far do you think I can push it?

TIA,
Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:02 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Well, those 40mm fans can be purchased in dual bearing form for fairly cheap.
CrazyPC or Frozen CPU
Then add a little bling with a grill over at Directron

But, without it...I bet you can go a little further. I've noticed that the NB doesn't get hot until you use it. Meaning, I bet you can OC just as high as you can normally go, but then when you burn it in, or stress it, it gets hot and becomes a snag. So, an OC that POSTS and BOOT's normally may not be a good one if the NB isn't used yet. Just my thoughts :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:55 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Chumly wrote:
Well, those 40mm fans can be purchased in dual bearing form for fairly cheap.
CrazyPC or Frozen CPU
Then add a little bling with a grill over at Directron

But, without it...I bet you can go a little further. I've noticed that the NB doesn't get hot until you use it. Meaning, I bet you can OC just as high as you can normally go, but then when you burn it in, or stress it, it gets hot and becomes a snag. So, an OC that POSTS and BOOT's normally may not be a good one if the NB isn't used yet. Just my thoughts :wink:

Thanks, but I have been stressing my NB with F@H for almost a month now with no hangups. And, much of that was in 80-85F weather. Temps are now 10-15F, or 6-8C cooler, and will be this way during fall, winter, and spring.

That's why I think I can push it further, even though I am stressing the NB with a dead fan.

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:57 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

you should just go outside in tha winter and then see how far you could go
lol