Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Weird freezing up problem
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:45 am 

So I built a machine at work for a user -- Albatron 865 motherboard, Kingston memory, Intel 1.8GHz chip.

Install Windows XP on it, and the whole install goes fine. Not a single glitch. Add it to the domain during and all that, but then it freezes up, totally locks up, when Windows XP gets to the "Please wait" screen after the install -- or, at most, to the "Network Identification" wizard screen.

It never gets beyond this point -- hard-locks. No mouse or keyboard input possible.

I have never seen this before -- any ideas? What's weird is that it installs just fine, and then always locks at this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:46 am 

Off the top of my head i would think the domain isn't there to respond. If you have a domain running are you able to ping it before you attach to it making sure the domain responds in a certian ammount of time. I would also note that why are you running a domain? If its for personal use as in a home network i wouldn't run a domain its not really needed(My Opinion). Past that are you sure you have the correct drivers from the chip makers website. If you do and they are newly released i might back down a step to the second newest drivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:00 am 
Northwood
Northwood

if you didnt install the chipset drivers from the chip makers website, do so. i heard issue with the mobo manufacturer's website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:30 am 

Set it up as a standalone machine during the install (workgroup).

Set it up to connect to the domain after it's up and running

I've had no end of problems with XP installs at my schools when configuring the domain during install, though for me it usually just hangs for several minutes then gives a timeout msg...eventually

<=T=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:05 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

if all the suggestions posted do not work, try using an add-on network card and disable the onboard (i'm assuming you're using onboard) NIC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:41 pm 

I am assuming the Intel Gigabit LAN onboard your mobo is set to autosense the link speed. If you are also using autosensing switches this can cause lock ups or slow performance. I have had similar problems with SMC cards and Intel 10/100 cards. I solved it by setting the card to 100mbs full duplex.(Thats the fastest speed my 3com superstack II switches can handle.) Then the switch autosenses the speed. Both the switch and the card trying to autosense can cause the problem with neither making a decision as to what speed to connect at.