Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:08 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

hahahahahaha...

Is this for real? He's 3rd or 4th year student asking this question...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:10 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Wolfmann wrote:
hahahahahaha...

Is this for real? He's 3rd or 4th year student asking this question...?

That's not surprising at all. Around 2002, a Grad Student asked me if I could tutor him in C++, I'm barely finished with my undergrad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:11 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Computer Science grad student?

I've seen this, where people haven't used a particular language, except for maybe a really low-level systems language. My buddy is a CS graduate and he doesn't know much about programming, except for the specific chips they are making.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:52 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Wolfmann wrote:
Computer Science grad student?

I've seen this, where people haven't used a particular language, except for maybe a really low-level systems language. My buddy is a CS graduate and he doesn't know much about programming, except for the specific chips they are making.

Most of the grad students I've met started coding in Java, so most of them when they moved to C++ had no clue. I've met alot of people that could transition from language to language and had no problems, but those guys are well endowed to be able to do that. But I've also tutored students who were in programming I/II with me, and they still need tutoring.

At my school, our saying is that "if you fail VB, you shouldn't be in Computer Science." That applies to a lot of students.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:12 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

About half my class in my programming classes didn't do very well. It's not easy concepts to learn, because not only are you learning structure, you're learning syntax...then you gotta learn the libraries once you figure that out.

I find learning the libraries and what I can do the hardest, but it's not difficult. Microsoft Press puts out a Language Resource for .NET, but it's crap. What I'd like is a break down and list of the .net libraries so I easily reference between languages if needbe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:31 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Wolfmann wrote:
About half my class in my programming classes didn't do very well. It's not easy concepts to learn, because not only are you learning structure, you're learning syntax...then you gotta learn the libraries once you figure that out.

I find learning the libraries and what I can do the hardest, but it's not difficult. Microsoft Press puts out a Language Resource for .NET, but it's crap. What I'd like is a break down and list of the .net libraries so I easily reference between languages if needbe.

The Libraries are very difficult to learn, but what I do is practice writing code using those libraries. It's time consuming, cumbersome, but it really teaches me to use those libraries. When I took Programmin I and II, I never once struggled with syntax, I found that if the professor explains it well enough, I didn't have any problems. What I find weird is that in a class of 100, we went down to 30. The irony is that those classes are weeder courses, when I got to Design of Algorithms, that's where a class of 30 went down to 5 people, I held the third highest grade in that class out of 5 people.

But man, oh, man I miss the days of Programming I/II because it was so easy.