Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Think I did enough research, how will this OC work?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:35 pm 

Hey guys, this is a picture of my current CPUZ. I am ordering a new mobo this week (either Abit IS7 (uses i865PE) or Abit IC7 (uses i875P)) if you have any input as to which I should use for my OC board, advice appreciated =) Also, I am ordering (2) 512mb Corsair XMS 3200C2 memory sticks.

From what I understand, in order to OC, I must raise the fsb to increase my overall clock speed, heat is an issue, and in some cases I must raise the voltage going to the CPU. This I understand, I have done tons of research over the past 2 months and believe I can handle this part - my question deals with the multiplier.

My goal is to take my 3050mhz system to ~3400mhz, not 1 mhz lower. At my current multiplier of 23, I would have to raise the fsb to 146mhz, yielding 3404mhz effectively. Is it safer to lower my multiplier to say 22 and then increase the fsb to 155mhz? Effectively clocking in at 3410mhz? This is the only answer I cannot find on the boards. Lastly, do I up my multiplier to 24 so I only have to raise the fsb to 142mhz? Yielding 3408mhz.

This is my last question before I order the mobo and the ram, as all I have left is to decide between the i865PE and the i875P chipset.

I guess lastly, is this a realistic goal for OCing? I currently have a Cooler Master heat sink / fan hook up to my CPU, it idles at 28C right now, and under load I've seen it shoot up to around 45C. If needed, I would get a better heat sink / fan combo. Also, do you think this OC would require me to up my CPU or RAM voltage?

I realize I sound like a total n00b, I prob am, but I am getting a whole new system in 3 months, and I would much rather learn to OC on this one than a brand new $3k system.

Thanks for any advice / words of wisdom you may share with me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:46 am 
INFINITE vCORE
INFINITE vCORE

You can't change the multiplier on Intel processors as they're locked.

You can only overclock via FSB with them.

Even if the BIOS lets you seemingly change the mutiplier, it won't affect the multiplier the chip runs on.

But anyway, this is part of the challenge :)

P.S. - Don't raise your core voltage past 1.65, as @ 1.7 you risk SNDS, or Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:38 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Agree with the core volt peak! However, the memory may be able to be raised to about 2.8v. That's the limit OCZ puts on mine, and luckily that is enough to achieve what I wanted with a 2.8C.

Which, BTW is roughly 3.4Ghz, so I'd think your efforts are very reachable. on a..wait a minute!

CPUz is showing 3.04v (1.525max?)and a FSB of 530. That should be an older P4"B" 533FSB unit...instead of a 200FSB, you'll have to use a 133 to multiply off of. Looks like you have...but I'm confused now :p
I'm not sure about the ratio you'll have to use at all at 148FSB (3404Ghz).

A pic of our two "B" units side by side (stock):
http://home.comcast.net/~chumly409/CPUz.jpg

(Our version difference is noted. I have 1.23 on my new rig and tried it with the same results. That voltage rating is scary)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:09 pm 

Wow why does it say my voltage is so high? Does it have to do with me having RDRAM right now? Could it be an error? It almost seems impossible for my voltage to really be that high doesnt it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:18 am 
INFINITE vCORE
INFINITE vCORE

I would almost bet my machine that your voltage is being misreported, I didn't notice that on my first perusal...

I'm sure 3v would fry a Northwood fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:51 am 

In my experience with the P-4 thing, there is no need to go past 1.7, and like the first guy said, anything higher and your running the risk of learning lesson the hard way. As far as which mobo to get.....don't waste the extra money on an 875....the 865pe is the same chipset as the 875 relegated to the "slower speed bin"....and the difference between them is minute...except when it comes to the price

Asus P4P800 (865pe)
P4-northwood 2.8 @3852
1 Gig Mushkin Blue Line Pc3200
Sapphire tech 9800 softmodded to 9800XT

All equaling over 22,000 in 3dmark 01

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:23 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I have my IC7 Max3 and P4 3.06 clocked to 3.52 right now with now problems at all. You shouldn't have a problem reaching your goal IMO. I just upped my RAM to OCZ 2 X 512 PC3500 2.0 EL.

my vcore is 1.6 and vdimm is 2.8.
I would really like to get to 3.6 but I'm having a hard time keeping it stable. I may up the voltage some more one of these days.

Here's a screenie

http://www.siegster.com/bigfoot/Booradl ... ck%202.JPG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:30 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

The voltages are being reported a little low in that one? I've noticed in my Max3 that I have to bump the vCore a little bit to match what's it's supposed to be at stock in CPUz. I think I have it set around 1.70 to get 1.64 volts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:35 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Chumly wrote:
The voltages are being reported a little low in that one? I've noticed in my Max3 that I have to bump the vCore a little bit to match what's it's supposed to be at stock in CPUz. I think I have it set around 1.70 to get 1.64 volts.

It's an older screenshot, I've most likely upped the voltage since then. Thanks for pointing that out :) I just checked and it's reading 1.540 -1.58

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:36 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Just figured I'd try to scare ya;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:56 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Chumly wrote:
Just figured I'd try to scare ya;)

Nah, I scare myself enough messing around with this stuff.

So I just upped my vcore to 1.7 and vdimm to 2.9. Vcore is now ranging between 1.64 and 1.68

Chumly, can you check your CPUZ for me and see what Max3 revision you have? I'm sure you know our board has had some voltage issues, but I'm wondering at what revision they fixed the problem. I have revA2 BTW.

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:07 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Just ran across this. The forums aren't telling me when people post or flagging the new posts, so bare with me. I run all over the place and it gets hard back-tracking where I've been.

Let me put the HS/F and get that thing up real quick and look at which one I have. This is my second one as I hurt the first one real bad a year ago trying to follow some mod on Abit's forum. I think that thread directly resulted in the Max3 board revision...so, I think we're safe. This newer one has the mod I was trying to do already done:p

BRB...
http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/faq/qa/2003/2003052801.htm

Weird. Still reports "1.x" by the model number. Something fishy...let me try the new CPUz. Nothing on the board physically but a little circle with an arrow through it. Maybe they never "officially" revised these things?

Last edited by Chumly on Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:19 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Chumly wrote:
Just ran across this. The forums aren't telling me when people post or flagging the new posts, so bare with me. I run all over the place and it gets hard back-tracking where I've been.

Let me put the HS/F and get that thing up real quick and look at which one I have. This is my second one as I hurt the first one real bad a year ago trying to follow some mod on Abit's forum. I think that thread directly resulted in the Max3 board revision...so, I think we're safe. This newer one has the mod I was trying to do already done:p

BRB...
http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/faq/qa/2003/2003052801.htm

Weird. Still reports "1.x" by the model number. Something fishy...let me try the new CPUz.

I know the ABIT forum can be a real pain to navigate. I've gone through that thing dozens of times and it seems like it's just the same posts over and over again.

I tried to hit 3.6 today with the higher voltage but my system rebooted after being in windows for a few minutes. Meh, I guess I hit the mobo's ceiling. Maybe I'll try again when a new BIOS comes out.

Thanks for the effort bud

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:35 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

LOL...I've been updating my same post and not noticing that you posted:p I'm stuck on stupid today.

I forgot what you had for a cpu, but 3.6 isn't unreal for a 2.8, even on air I would assume. You and I both use water, and I hit that fairly stable (3.4 was my happy spot though) on a pretty basic rig...I think your's is better than the one I used to get that mark.

I've touched 3.8G, but was pushing everything way too hard and was above all the warranty specs, so it seemed very stupid to hang around at that altitude. 30 minutes was enough for me to know I am over my head:p

It all came down to trusting the voltages to be steady around 2.8v's again, and they were/are. Anything over 2.8 and I've found no gain but in temps. I think this IS a revision because, besides the instable vDimm, the bump volts did something. Oh, well...digging up the past.

Tried to look up the old Xtremesystems.org thread "max3 Vdimm stabalisation mod"...gone. And damn am I glad that we don't have sig's enabled! Cruising through some of those made my eyes hurt trying to figure out what is post and what is sig:p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:04 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Yeah, I think I'm going to called 3.52 my happy spot and be happy with it. I go through the same cycle every few months..I try to push my system..get scared and then back off..lol The next time I reboot I'm going to knock down my vdimm down to 2.8 as well.

I think I've officially hyjacked this thread...sorry bout that.

take care all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:12 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

LOL...hyjack is now official. Arrrr!

Look at this area (new board):
And see if MC64 is there (old board):
I finally got to use the magnifying glass too:)

The area looks basically the same though on the old vs. new exsept for the right side of that winbond controller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:08 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Yup I have the MC62 marker :( Oh well, I still love this thing.

I'm not sure if you came across this at the ABIT forum or not, but ABIT is allowing people to RMA this board for better over clocking performance. I think that's pretty damn cool of them to do. I just can't be bothered to tear about my system to do it.

Thanks for the pic 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:30 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Ya, I ran across it. I was trying out removing that cap as instructed and it wouldn't Boot after that. I was being careful, but I guess I hurt something along the way. I put the cap back on and tried to RMA it, but they caught me. So, I bought another one.

The one I got after that was a new one with the work done as it's not there. I am assuming it wasn't the one I sent in as I marked it with a red sharpie in several places. I guess cleaner would take it off...but I didn't think to write down the obvious numbers:p Still odd that there's no revision being shown. I guess they just went back through and fixed these one by one??

But ya...that's way cool that they're accepting RMA's for boards that aren't stable above 2.8v! That's pretty bold for a company IMO:D