Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:54 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

HK-47 wrote:
tools.shell doesn't work? I thought that was universal to the VS.NET environment.

hehehe...I'm still working on it. Once I get Tools.Shell, I have to sitdown and clean up the code.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:41 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

HK-47 wrote:
Gadget that seems really involved and way beyond my abilities :lol:

Basically what you're talking about there is a tool that controls FAH in everything it does. Start, stop, etc. all the way through.

Here all I had in mind was an advanced panel and writing my own service. ;)

It isn't as hard as you think. Reading and writing the text configuration file is pretty basic. Most of the computer that I've installed fah on won't let me run a service - if at all possible, it would be nice to get around that. :)

As for an initial gui, should be easy to whip something up in C#, Java, whatever. Just make the first tab "module selection" and each module a seperate tab that is greyed out until the appropriate check box for it in module selection is checked. If you don't have a gui builder tool intsalled, draw what you had in mind with paint or something. I'm sure someone would be willing to whip out a gui for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:42 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

DJSPIN80 wrote:
HK-47 wrote:
tools.shell doesn't work? I thought that was universal to the VS.NET environment.

hehehe...I'm still working on it. Once I get Tools.Shell, I have to sitdown and clean up the code.

Are you working on something for multiple cpu's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:01 pm 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

Ok, source code updated with advanced panel.

Just need to actually code in a looping mechanism for multiple processor support and other advanced options.

http://www.welcometolastweek.com/FAH/foldinst2.zip

Oh, and it has to be written to install as a service. THAT should be fun :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:33 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

How do you start a process in windows like 'newProcess &' in Unix? I don't want the new process to be a child process of the cmd shell.

Also, anyone know if there is a MFC or .NET lib to remove an app from the taskbar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:11 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I know this is going to sound stupid, but what is FAH? I did a search on it and all I can find is a distributed processing project for researching the folding of proteins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:20 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Gadget wrote:
How do you start a process in windows like 'newProcess &' in Unix? I don't want the new process to be a child process of the cmd shell.

Also, anyone know if there is a MFC or .NET lib to remove an app from the taskbar?

It's a bit complicated (well, not really). You'd have to set the form properties so that it's not visible to the taskbar. Next, you have to place a NotifyIcon object in your form as well as a ContextMenu object. The ContextMenu will give your systray apps (that's what NotifyIcon is, I think that's the name) a menu when you right click on the Systray app.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:21 pm 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

baldeagle wrote:
I know this is going to sound stupid, but what is FAH? I did a search on it and all I can find is a distributed processing project for researching the folding of proteins.

That's exactly what it is. We have a whole forum devoted to it:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:25 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

baldeagle wrote:

That's the one.... fah is short for folding at home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:26 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

HK-47 wrote:
Ok, source code updated with advanced panel.

Just need to actually code in a looping mechanism for multiple processor support and other advanced options.

http://www.welcometolastweek.com/FAH/foldinst2.zip

Oh, and it has to be written to install as a service. THAT should be fun :lol:

:lol: Well, the Tools.Shell isn't available in C#, or so I think. However, I did write it so that it sets up the folder(s) necessary, writes the client.cfg files, copies the executables to the folders, and writes a registry key for every instance of the F@H.

Here's the link: http://curiousdork.isa-geek.net/downloa ... taller.zip

I haven't cleaned up the code, in fact, this is just proof-of-concept. Feel free to add/remove anything. Oh, it's written in C#, not some archaic language like VB. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:26 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

Gadget wrote:

Copy cat post count++

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:38 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Spider Monkey wrote:
Gadget wrote:

Copy cat post count++

First, for you to pull the postcount++ out of the bag is ridiculous (note that it is spelled correctly)! Second, all of those posts went in at the same time. They were just a bit quicker.

Now stop bugging me before I get a tranq gun and shave your monkey butt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:44 am 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

Version 0.3

I haven't had a chance yet to test this - I will at home tonight - but in theory everything should work except the proxy password. Anyone have any idea how FAH parses a proxy password into the client.cfg file? The password is obviously encrypted, though I expect it's a very weak form.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:11 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

HK-47 wrote:
Version 0.3

I haven't had a chance yet to test this - I will at home tonight - but in theory everything should work except the proxy password. Anyone have any idea how FAH parses a proxy password into the client.cfg file? The password is obviously encrypted, though I expect it's a very weak form.

I just ran a test with the password proxy to see what it did. My username and password were both "abcdef" and here was my result:

Quote:
[settings]
username=dabrain
team=11108
asknet=no
machineid=1

[http]
active=yes
host=localhost
port=8080
usereg=no
usepasswd=yes
proxy_name=abcdef
proxy_passwd=abcdef

So I guess there is nothing done to the proxy username or password before writing it to the config file which isn't a good thing....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:48 pm 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

DaBrain wrote:
HK-47 wrote:
Version 0.3

I just ran a test with the password proxy to see what it did. My username and password were both "abcdef" and here was my result:

So I guess there is nothing done to the proxy username or password before writing it to the config file which isn't a good thing....

I didn't do anything to the password because I don't know what mechanism FAH uses to mask it. I do know that older versions saved it in plain text and that at least since version 4 there's at least some masking/hashing of the password before it's written to the config file. If I knew what method that was, I'd implement it.

Also, setting up the service doesn't quite work. I'm looking into that as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:27 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

HK-47 wrote:
I didn't do anything to the password because I don't know what mechanism FAH uses to mask it. I do know that older versions saved it in plain text and that at least since version 4 there's at least some masking/hashing of the password before it's written to the config file. If I knew what method that was, I'd implement it.

The service doesn't have to mask it, since all it uses the proxy password for is to make a call to the proxy server, all of which is internal. So the call to the proxy server may encrypt the password, but the password in itself is stored in clear text.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:34 pm 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

DJSPIN80 wrote:
HK-47 wrote:

The service doesn't have to mask it, since all it uses the proxy password for is to make a call to the proxy server, all of which is internal. So the call to the proxy server may encrypt the password, but the password in itself is stored in clear text.

I'll test this tomorrow at work. But if you run the -config and put in a proxy and password, then look at your client.cfg, you'll see gibberish on the line where the password goes. I can see if I can store it as plain text and whether that will work.