Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Why are the games not workin??
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:50 pm 

I've been tryin to help out my g/f's dad. He's into gaming and stuff, and his comp WAS runnin fine. Then he said he got some bad viruses, so he did a fresh windows install... And ever since then most of his games won't work. I witnessed this myself... What happens is this: You put the cd in the drive, and it starts loadin the splash screen of the game. Then it does something VERY similar to what burned games do when they don't have a crack- it crashes and asks for the correct cd, although the request message is a little different from the normal ones you get when trying to play a burned game without a crack. Now I'm not sure what's goin down here. He says he did a fresh install of windows... But it IS possible he didn't know what he was doing... I'm not sure what else is up. This problem occurs with both of his cd rom drives - ones just a normal cd rom and the other is a dvd burner and what not. Any ideas? I'd love to fix this thing, ya know, then the dad will prolly like me a little more haha. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:29 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

did he get all the drivers and stuff reinstalled too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:42 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Should still check for virii. This sounds like certain virii that like to close installers. I would use a good scanner, an online scanner and make sure that all drivers are updated.

Otherwise, if they're new games, be sure a) you own them (no piracy talks in here), b) your hardware supports them, c) you do in fact have the correct CD in there, and d) your hardware is functioning properly.

The only other problem I can think of that might be physically affecting the machine is power issues or a faulty component somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:45 pm 

The games are all retail. I'll have him scan for virus's again. any other ideas if that dont' work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:50 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Ryan_the_eskimo wrote:
The games are all retail. I'll have him scan for virus's again. any other ideas if that dont' work?

*shrug*

could be almost anything. If you really want to go all out, holistically test each component of the comp. ie make sure the RAM is working well, be sure the power is enough, heat issues are down, hard drives aren't failing... etc.

What are the specs and what are the games he's trying to install? Is anything installing? how are his temps? system resources? More info if possible.