Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 802.11n New Wireless Standard Proposed
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:02 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

802.11n??
A new group called WWiSE (which right off the bat sounds STUpiD to us) has propsed a new WiFi standard called 802.11n. That part sounds SMaRT, esepcially since it will be backwards compatible with 802.11b and 802.11g. The proposed speed will be a blazing 540 Mbps which sounds great as well, although will probably cause your head to grow tumors while you download files. But again, this is all going to take awhile if waiting for 802.11g is any indicator.

--from aliceandbill.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:08 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Ya, this new technology sounds pretty promising. And its better than initially thought. In MaxPc Issue January 2004, they said 802.11n was to be 108Mbit/s but in this latest news its a huge 540Mbits/s. This sounds so awsome, almost too good to be true. And alas in some countries it will be too good to be true. Here is what I mean. This new standard is only able to reach its blazing 540Mbit/s speed when used in a 40MHz channel. Using the regular 20MHz channel it reaches 135Mit/s (which is still very sweet compared to current day tech). In countries like Japan for example, using the 40Mhz channel is not permitted. The main reason to stick with the 20MHz channel is that it is backwards compatible with current 802.11a/b/g equipment. This aside, I think that this new tech will rock. Wired lans will be a thing of the past.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:44 pm 
In the lab!
In the lab!

there will always be wired lans becuase they are more secure. but yea 802.11n is looking helluva sweet! Long as they include a serious encryption system built into the protocol it'd do very well.

Post subject: Re: 802.11n New Wireless Standard Proposed
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:40 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

GameGirl wrote:
802.11n??
A new group called WWiSE (which right off the bat sounds STUpiD to us) has propsed a new WiFi standard called 802.11n. That part sounds SMaRT, esepcially since it will be backwards compatible with 802.11b and 802.11g. The proposed speed will be a blazing 540 Mbps which sounds great as well, although will probably cause your head to grow tumors while you download files. But again, this is all going to take awhile if waiting for 802.11g is any indicator.

--from aliceandbill.com

How secure is it going be? If it's built on the existing strategies, I'll pass.

If it can be secured well at it's highest rates, and provides wired like connectivity then I will be interested. Otherwise throwing bandwidth (or money) at a solution is the Microsoft way of doing stuff, when if you learn efficiency it could pay off quite largely.

As for the tumors...it is not ionizing radiation. Big difference. You get more "bad" radiation in a year from going in your basement or getting an extra than you do using a cell phone or living near a nuclear power plant (assuming tritium is not in the ground water...which is usually isn't).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:43 am 
Team Badger
Team Badger

More than all those things you probably get more raditation from the sun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:33 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Just for being alive we get approximatley 200-270 millirems of ionizing radiation from cosmic radiation, radiation from the sun, radioactive radon isotopes given off my minerals in our basements...

...this is on top of any x-ray's, flying, or otherwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:06 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

That's true, I heard that water has more radiation than anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:28 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

GameGirl wrote:
That's true, I heard that water has more radiation than anything.

Water? ;-)

Deuterium, or heavy water, which is H30, is highly radioactive, however H20 itself can only become contaminated if the minerals in the water become contaminzed - generally unless it is highly mineral rich with minerals that give off active radioisotopes such as radioactive materials then there is no radiation in it. If the water was 100% pure, with no garbage, minerals, or other contamination you could take a dip in a spend fuel rod containment pool.

In fact pure water is a radiation inhibitor and it is why they use it in nuclear reactor storage containment - it acts as a shield by slowing the highly excited electrons that would otherwise travel as far as they could. I have a picture of newly spent fuel rods from a Canadian CANDU reactor...they literally glow this beautiful bluish-purple until they "cool" radioactively for about a month or so. The glow is caused because the flow of electrons is so intense that they literally rub together so fast and so hot they create photons.

Water is perfectly safe, and gives off no real radiation of any sort, or shouldn't. It's the mineral's in the water that are the real culprits - they are directly radioactive, or can become contaminated. ;-)

P.S. I worked at a nuclear power plant doing contract work for the Canadian government in nuclear security.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:06 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Wolfmann wrote:
Just for being alive we get approximatley 200-270 millirems of ionizing radiation from cosmic radiation, radiation from the sun, radioactive radon isotopes given off my minerals in our basements...

...this is on top of any x-ray's, flying, or otherwise.

Does wearing aluminum foil on my head help at all? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:45 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Flytrap7 wrote:

Does wearing aluminum foil on my head help at all? :D

For you? The damage is already irrepairable done. heh,heh.

Nice to see you! In case you don't know I went ahead and did a horrible thing to the world...I replicated. heh,heh. http://marclesemann.5u.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:11 pm 

I saw a while back. :D

You should drop by, we moved off Delphuck a while back:

http://cof.ravensys.net/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:24 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Sound good. Me and Porky are looking for Martial Arts schools together. We want to get together with Duff and a few of the other Ontario boys and have a BBQ or something.