Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hard drive problems
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:23 am 

Hey guys, I have two WD 120GB JB drives that stopped working at the exact same time. By not working, I mean they are *sometimes* detected during boot-up and they hang explorer.exe. I figured my mobos Promise ATA controller (A7V133) was going so I put them in other machines, but the same problem occured. On one of them I ran the WD diagnosis utilities which didn't find any problems; I even wrote all 0's to the drive, but nothing was wrong.

Being more specific, let's say the drives are detected and Windows boots up, they show up in the Disk Management utility and in My Computer. Now, if I click on one of the drives it shows the root directory, but if I try and access anything below the root directory explorer.exe hangs.

I also tried hooking them up to my normal IDE controller, but that doesn't work either. Any ideas or suggestions? I'm current playing games off a 20GB 5400RPM drive and it sucks, not to mention I'm out of space! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:32 am 

did you do a virus scan? maybe the explorer.exe is infected by a virus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:46 am 

homelessboy wrote:
did you do a virus scan? maybe the explorer.exe is infected by a virus.

I should have mentioned that, but yeah, my computer is 100% free of all spyware and viruses. I'm very religious about that type of thing too, I only use Firefox, Thunderbird and Miranda (for IM'ing). Also, I tried the two drives on other computers and I get the same result.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:47 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Not knowing if there is anything important on the drives try to repartition them and then reformat. (Doing so you will lose all data)
If that fails too then more likely the drives are bad see what warrantee date is on them and they maybe be able to be replaced

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:18 pm 

cncmonke wrote:
Not knowing if there is anything important on the drives try to repartition them and then reformat. (Doing so you will lose all data)
If that fails too then more likely the drives are bad see what warrantee date is on them and they maybe be able to be replaced

I tried that with one of the drives already and it didn't work. :( After I did a low-level format of one of the drives I then gave it an NTFS partition with a fresh Windows format and again, the drive showed up, but it just hangs when I try to access it. My problem is, both drives went at the same time, so this leads me to conclude they might have been surged or something... ? :(