Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: The Smell of new hardware...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:44 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:39 am
Posts: 140
Location: Somewhere, where I don't know where I am.
Okay, so I admit it. I'm a bit of a hardware freak. I know I have a problem and I can accept it. That being said I have to say that I love the smell of new hardware. Perhaps it is just part of the excitement of putting the latest upgrade in my rig or maybe it is because I know the smell all too well.

As I unwrap a new vidcard or mobo, there is a distinctive smell that permiates the computer room where all computers co-exist. The smell is a combination of PCB, soldier and new microchips burning in. To me it smells like "new computer smell". Someone should bottle and patent the smell.

Anyway like I said I'm an addict but I just can't help myself.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Smell of new hardware...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:49 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:37 pm
Posts: 32
Location: Katy/Houston, TX
Brentium4 wrote:
Okay, so I admit it. I'm a bit of a hardware freak. I know I have a problem and I can accept it. That being said I have to say that I love the smell of new hardware. Perhaps it is just part of the excitement of putting the latest upgrade in my rig or maybe it is because I know the smell all too well.

As I unwrap a new vidcard or mobo, there is a distinctive smell that permiates the computer room where all computers co-exist. The smell is a combination of PCB, soldier and new microchips burning in. To me it smells like "new computer smell". Someone should bottle and patent the smell.

Anyway like I said I'm an addict but I just can't help myself.


The smell of an extra Christmas. :P


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:36 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:09 pm
Posts: 9601
Location: Land of the Lounge Lizards
I think your hardware has been laced... :wink:


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:17 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:40 pm
Posts: 7207
Location: Waipahu, HI 21?N-158?W
How about the smell of burnt hardware? Uh huh.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:19 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:40 pm
Posts: 7207
Location: Waipahu, HI 21?N-158?W
I like the smell of new hardware, but it's never gonna last long. Are you building a computer because I think the smell has filled your room and needs adequate ventalation.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:32 am 
Team Member
Team Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:59 pm
Posts: 1579
Location: Straight Up, Extra Dry, With a Twist!
New Hardware (specifically PCB's) smell like a really good high quality Gin I've noticed, like Bombay Sapphire. Myself being both a geek AND a lover of Gin (especially teh Sapphire), just, F**king w00t!


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:58 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:22 am
Posts: 432
Location: Taylors, SC
You know your a computer geek if your smelling your new hardware. Your really a top notch geek if it turns you on.


Bunch of sick Os :wink:


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:00 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:22 am
Posts: 432
Location: Taylors, SC
Whoo hoooo I have over a hundred post.
All right, now all I have to do is find a really annoying avatar. :wink:


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:02 am 
Klamath
Klamath
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:03 pm
Posts: 258
I snort my hardware, I literally sniff the chips right off the card and they get stuck in my nostrils.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:24 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:40 pm
Posts: 7207
Location: Waipahu, HI 21?N-158?W
Captain Crunch wrote:
Whoo hoooo I have over a hundred post.
All right, now all I have to do is find a really annoying avatar. :wink:


post somewhere else


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:39 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:09 pm
Posts: 9601
Location: Land of the Lounge Lizards
Captain Crunch wrote:
All right, now all I have to do is find a really annoying avatar. :wink:


There's always the obvious choice (slightly modified):

Image


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:58 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 8:54 am
Posts: 48
Location: Denver, CO
They the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. Well I love the smell of new hardware too, but i don't think its a problem. So where does that leave me?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:09 pm 
Celeron
Celeron
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:13 pm
Posts: 7362
Location: New York City
Extreme geeks would make cologne out of it to get 1337 chicks. ;)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:16 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:39 am
Posts: 140
Location: Somewhere, where I don't know where I am.
Hmmmm.... we could call the cologne "PCB...pour homme" or eau de Geek. Hmmm... now the brain is working, funny it smells like new computer hardware. Damn, I do have a problem...


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:18 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:39 am
Posts: 140
Location: Somewhere, where I don't know where I am.
jamesgor13579 wrote:
They the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. Well I love the smell of new hardware too, but i don't think its a problem. So where does that leave me?


Not sure where that leaves you james, but I'm glad to know there is someone else out there who likes the smell of new hardware. I'm not alone, I can sleep safe in the comfort of that knowledge tonight. Or I could game until I fall asleep... I'll take the latter thank you very much!


Last edited by Brentium4 on Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:27 pm 
Team Member*
Team Member*
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:40 pm
Posts: 7207
Location: Waipahu, HI 21?N-158?W
i love the smell of new products as well as hardware...just got my arcticlean today and man does it smell good...mmm oranges.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:44 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:46 pm
Posts: 858
i got a 6800gt and ocz pc3200 VX ram and im all over it like a drug addict, even tho i dont have all the compnents i couldnt help opening the packaging more than once, o damn! i just got the urge to spend alot of money on computers AHHH!



just imagine the type of people who would need to go into a hardware rehab clinic tho, makes u want to laugh, and if you laugh your one of thoes people 1 day admit it now!


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:01 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:22 am
Posts: 432
Location: Taylors, SC
One4yu2c wrote:
Captain Crunch wrote:
All right, now all I have to do is find a really annoying avatar. :wink:


There's always the obvious choice (slightly modified):

Image


LOL Thats prettey good One4u2c I just mite have to use that as soon as the adminastrators give me an option in my profile of using one. thanks.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:23 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:39 am
Posts: 140
Location: Somewhere, where I don't know where I am.
Simpson5774 wrote:
i got a 6800gt and ocz pc3200 VX ram and im all over it like a drug addict, even tho i dont have all the compnents i couldnt help opening the packaging more than once, o damn! i just got the urge to spend alot of money on computers AHHH!



just imagine the type of people who would need to go into a hardware rehab clinic tho, makes u want to laugh, and if you laugh your one of thoes people 1 day admit it now!


Dammit I laughed, I'm one of those ppl. Hmmm.. I think we should start building the rehab clinic now to cure our own addiction. What do you say?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:49 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:13 am
Posts: 172
Location: Amish Country!
hmmmm if it smells good and it certainly looks good than maybe it TASTES GOOD! anyone ever ate a video card? :D


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group