Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: networking question
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:19 pm 

i just set up a network in my house. i use a cable modem with a netgear wireless B router. i am currently hooked to the router and am not wireless but i still recieve rates of only 3 kb/sec max on bittorrent. on limewire i can get about 15. i know when i was on my universities connection they used a packeteer which just flat out killed any filesharing problems. could this be the case with my cable provider or is there something i can do to fix this problem through my router.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:43 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

1. this is probably a no-go post beucase of the bit torrent...that is my guess

2. make sure you forward the ports correctly in the router and the program

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:29 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I'm not sure if bit torrent is a bad word or not. I don't think it is at least. It's what you use it for that is questionable.

Don't know about the problem though. I'd probably screw him up worse that he is now...just wanted to talk I guess.

Post subject: Re: networking question
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:39 am 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

NuT wrote:
i just set up a network in my house. i use a cable modem with a netgear wireless B router. i am currently hooked to the router and am not wireless but i still recieve rates of only 3 kb/sec max on bittorrent. on limewire i can get about 15. i know when i was on my universities connection they used a packeteer which just flat out killed any filesharing problems. could this be the case with my cable provider or is there something i can do to fix this problem through my router.

1 - This question belongs in Internet Truckstop. I moved your thread over for you.

2 - I'm gonna go ahead and assume you're using BT to get Linux ISO images. That being said, use BitTornado. It has more options and lets you see what kind of speed you're getting seeded at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:56 am 

sweet thanks. sorry about posting in the wrong forum, wasnt sure if it should be in hardware heaven because i thought it might be a router problem. but thanks for leading me in the right direction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:16 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

(1) Bittorrent is fine ... it is simply a file-sharing p2p application, with many legitimate uses. Gentoo, for example, has torrents for distributing their ISOs, and there is a wealth of anime available which is not licensed in North America ... therefore, legally downloadable.

(2) You need to forward the appropriate ports from your router to your PC. There is an excellent FAQ that you should read for more info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:01 pm 

thanks again. i fixed the port forwarding problem. i tried a torrent of doom 3(dont ban me, it was for testing purposes, i bought the game) and it got about 50 kb/sec. tried a file from animesuki.com and it didnt get much over 4. im starting to think my cable provider is throttling it somehow. i went to dslreport.com and did the speed test, i got 2438 so the speed shouldnt be a problem. either im really dumb and somehow screwed up the port forwarding or soemthing else is the problem. still tryin to figure it out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:17 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

You are getting different speeds because you are downloading from different people. Anime is generally slower than a very popular and illegal game, so it stands to reason you'd see much higher bandwidth.

BTW ... testing is not a good enough excuse. You are still sharing copyrighted material, and you will get in some serious ca-ca here if you do that.

Edit your post. There is no reason to mention WHAT you are downloading, and you are putting this forum at risk.