Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need info from you Excel and Visual Basic Guru's
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:17 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I was told to give this post a try here instead =)

Hey all. Ive been working on some stuff lateley, and I need a few bits of info on visual basic and excel

first off; when you are editing a macro in visual basic, is there a way to determine the size of the macro (disk space it will take up) while you are editing it, or just simply a way to find out after you save it

Also, if you have a saved sheet, that you delete the macros from, and resave it, will it still be the same size?

Lastly, is there a way to determine where all the space is comming from on an excel sheet? (im trying to fix one at work that is 2.5 megs!!)

This is all on office 2000 btw =). Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:03 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

Holy Crap you have yourself a mosnter of a speradsheet there!

Sounds to me like you have a corrupted xls. I've never in my life seen a *macro* in Excel that took up a noticable amount of space.

I'd export to new sheet.

Post subject: Re: Need info from you Excel and Visual Basic Guru's
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:50 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

havocdragon wrote:
first off; when you are editing a macro in visual basic, is there a way to determine the size of the macro (disk space it will take up) while you are editing it, or just simply a way to find out after you save it

A rough guide for most programming languages is that each ascii character is going to be at least 1 byte (and 2 bytes in most unicode languages). You'll have some additional overhead as well.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help with the other questions.... this is the programmers' paradise, not office application hell. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:14 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Thanks for the help! One last question to spider monkey; you said I should export to a new excel sheet, I don't want to sound like an idiot but..... I don't do much importing and exporting. How do you export an excel sheet to an excel sheet in excel 2000? Or did you mean basically copy and paste? I don't know how to move macros either =).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:44 am 

Copy and paste. Use your Ctrl-A, C, then V option for each sheet Nothing is faster.

Well maybe something...........

Open a new xls. Go to the Data drop down up top, and import from the bad one with the first option you have.

I thought you wanted to dump the *macros*? (really no such thing as macros in Excel, even though they call it that IIRC)

What the hell do these 2 Meg marcos do? Cook breakfast in the morning and then start your car? lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:55 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Spider Monkey; thanks =). I don't want to dump the macros, I was just cleaning them up a bit, and im pretty sure that the macros arent that large. I saved a back up sheet, deleted the macros and the file only shrank about 10k.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:08 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Ok now this is getting freaky. I did ctlr+A, C then V on a new sheet, and that file came out as 2.5 megs to!!!! I looks as far as I could, but there are only 3 pages (on 1 sheet no other sheets) with barely any info on it. I unhid everything I could think of and I didnt see anything.

Is there a way to hide 2.5 megs of stuff in excel?
Or when a file goes corrupted will it alter the file you paste to?

Also, there is no import option in the data tab. It just says get external data, and there is an option for import text file, but this doesnt seem to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:17 am 

You probably have an older version than I do. I forget what you are using from your first post. The Get External Data thing is the same as what I was talking about.

We knid of need to know what the "stuff" is before we delete it.

Have you done a Fix and Repair, off the Help dropdown menu?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:29 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Ok, I think I have figured it out. We use this file as a master sheet, and we save it as different things along the way, and we have this archived. I looked back and guess what? the file was almost nothing as of last year!!! I think ill work on making a new one, its not that hard anyways =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:38 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Hey on a side note. Is there a way to fix it if it is corrupted? Or should I just remake it? I tried the detect and repair option, but it requires the disk, and I'm almost positive noone here has this disk =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:28 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

havocdragon wrote:
Hey on a side note. Is there a way to fix it if it is corrupted? Or should I just remake it? I tried the detect and repair option, but it requires the disk, and I'm almost positive noone here has this disk =)

Let me ask you a question.... do you actually trust any value that is displayed in that sheet? I remember reading a pretty funny software engineering case study where a manager decided to purchase some company based on an access database he had created. The only problem, the information was all wrong - and his company was soon bankrupt. Hardly a unique story either.

IMO, it sounds like the macro might be screwed up. Have you taken a look to see if it is doing what it is suppose to do? And what is it suppose to do anyways?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:34 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Its, not the macros, and yes I have looked to see what they do, and it is almost negligable. Most of what the macros do is resize and format some cells. There is no info on this sheet, which is why it disturbs me. It is simply a master sheet we use, we open it, we paste some stuff in there, run the macros, and save as another name. This single file has been used like this for a year, and it looks like back in april it was only 35k (it was created last august) and some time in april it jumped to 2.5 megs. There was absolutely nothing added to it, and the only thing I can think of is it is corrupted.

Anyways, ive re made it already =).
its now 30k and neither here nor there, I was just making sure I had all my facts straight first =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:22 am 

MicroSoft makes it. Shit happens. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:07 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

havocdragon wrote:
Its, not the macros, and yes I have looked to see what they do, and it is almost negligable. Most of what the macros do is resize and format some cells. There is no info on this sheet, which is why it disturbs me. It is simply a master sheet we use, we open it, we paste some stuff in there, run the macros, and save as another name. This single file has been used like this for a year, and it looks like back in april it was only 35k (it was created last august) and some time in april it jumped to 2.5 megs. There was absolutely nothing added to it, and the only thing I can think of is it is corrupted.

Anyways, ive re made it already =).
its now 30k and neither here nor there, I was just making sure I had all my facts straight first =)

There is a very good data recovery app called Handy Recovery at www.handyrecovery.com. It is a trial and lets u recover one file per 30 days of trial, but that should be enought for this situation. This should be able to at least recover the data of the Excel file. It might not work with the macros though so be warned.