Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PayPal
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:59 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I've discovered that PayPal has a great support team. I recently purchased a DVD off eBay and paid for it using PayPal.

While filling out the needed PayPal info, my screen refreshed itself. It does that every now and then while I'm on the Internet. It was unexpected at the time, but I didn't think anything of it as it happens often enough. Within an hour, I got an email from the seller saying they had my payment. So far so good.

The PayPal account is set up to take $$ out of one of my bank accounts. I only leave enough cash in this account to pay for PayPal purchases. A few days after paying for my auction, I was on my way to the bank to deposit more cash for another auction I won. After depositing $50 into the acount, I expected to see $50 IN the account. Instead, I was happily notified by the ATM that I had $20 in the account. According to my math, $0 to $50 is not $20. I printed out a receipt of the last 10 transactions. On it, it showed PayPal taking approximately $17 twice and putting it back in once. It also showed that I now had a $30 fee as well.

I phoned the bank asking what the heck the fee was for. It was for having a company charge my bank account then refund the money minutes later.

After explaining to the banking person on the other end that the company that did this to me had no business meddling around in my bank account at that point, I was refunded the $30 fee.

Finally, the whole mess was over. Or so I thought.

A day later I received an email from PayPal stating that my payment for the eBay auction had failed and that they would try again in 2 days. Upon checking my PayPal account, I saw that I had been charged twice by PayPal. One instance of payment was fine, the other had failed. After emailing the seller, they confirmed they had received 1 payment from me for the auction.

Not wanting to be charged a third time for this auction (I already paid the first time, and the payment failed the second time due to there being no $$ in my account), I emailed PayPal asking them to stop the system from charging me again because I already paid for the auction and I would probably wind up with another $30 fee.

I got a response stating that if I want a refund for my money I should ask the seller for the refund.

I responded to this letter saying that the seller had only received payment once. PayPal had tried to charge me twice for the same auction and I only keep enough cash in the account to pay for an auction once. Even though the seller already had their money (and by this time I had my DVD), PayPal was going to try and charge me yet again.

Again, I got a response saying that if I want a refund for my money I should ask the seller for the refund.

After going through this charade 3 times and getting the exact same email from PayPal (word for word!!) I got mad and emailed them a nasty letter saying that they need to work on satisfying their customers, and that I expect them to fix the problem and stop having them charge my account for something I already paid for.

The response? They were glad to resolve my problem and would like me to fill out some form to rate them. Meanwhile I've got another $30 bank charge to try and get out of..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:48 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

why not apply for that class action law suit assuming you had it open between 1999 and 2004... and rape $50 from them..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:23 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

There's a lawsuit against PayPal?? Where can I find information??

My antics with PayPal have continued. To date they have tried to charge me 4 times for the auction item. The seller kept $11.49 USD for the auction like they were supposed to, and refunded another $11.49 that they received after PayPal charged my visa (after I emailed them and told them not to).

For EVERY single message I sent them, their response was to ask my seller for a refund.... IE... this literally happened.

Me: I have already paid for the auction, the seller has volunteered to contact you to vouch for me. You have already tried to charge me 2 more times but I had my bank decline these charges. Why are you going to now try and charge my Visa?

Them: PayPal is a user iniated system. To obtain a refund, please make arrangements with your seller.

Me: The seller has only been paid once.

Them: PayPal is a user iniated system. To obtain a refund, please make arrangements with your seller.

Me: You are very dumb, and don't read my emails.

Them: Thank you for your kind comments. Please use this form to rate our services. http://www.somethingorother.com/something. PayPal is a user iniated system. To obtain a refund, please make arrangements with your seller.

Me: %&)@ YOU!

SO!!!!!!!!!!!

I phone them up and told them what was going on.

Me: The seller has only exact amount of money they should have!!!

Them: What do you mean?

Me: Two payments have reached the seller. They have refunded one. That leaves them with 1 payment.

Me: But the seller has the correct amount of money that I owed them for the auction. They don't have a penny more. Why should I get a refund from them?? This is dumb!

Them: Thank you for your kind comments. PayPal is a user iniated system. To obtain a refund, please make arrangements with your seller.

Me: *click* [hangs up]

Anyway, thanks to the seller and my bank account I have most of my money back. I managed to have the 2 charges to my bank account cancelled. I didn't get to my visa account fast enough to have the charges applied to it cancelled (payment #4 to paypal). The seller refunded me $11.49 USD. PayPal took a slice of this of course.

So... all I'm out is the slice that PayPal took. I'm also stuck with $11.49 USD stuck in my PayPal account which I can not put back onto my Visa or put into my bank account (and then tranfser to Visa). I need something like $0.30 more to be able to withdraw money from my PalPal account. Of course I would have HAD this amount of PayPal didn't take a slice of the refund that they stole from my credit card.

Also, when I *DO* withdraw the money to my bank account or visa, I will have a charge from PayPal. They charge us Canadians to take money out of our PayPal accounts.

Finally, they actually argued with me about if I pushed the back arrow button in my browser, and hit the pay seller button multiple times.

Really now.... according to PayPal I must LIKE paying for auctions multiple times.

My advice to anyone else... if you can find an alternative to PayPal, use it. That's what I'm going to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:30 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

settlement info:

http://www.maximumpc.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:58 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

you should only set up paypal through credit card if u ask me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:12 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

gamerfreak wrote:
you should only set up paypal through credit card if u ask me

In order to sell things on eBay and be able to accept PayPal you need to attach it to a bank account.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:07 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

well credit account in the bank, i sell stuff on ebay too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:13 pm 

Anyone can sell on eBay

What I'm saying is that in order to accept credit cards through PayPal you need to attach your PayPal account to a regular bank account and then upgrade your PayPal account to accept credit cards.

Post subject: paypal
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:32 pm 

I would close the account at your bank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:25 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

The way to runa PayPal account imo is to only have enough money in and account as to pay for items + $100.00 more, and only at the time you are ready to buy. I also never tie it to my regular checking - I set up and account for PayPal only. Since my regular checking is directly limked to my savings and money market I don't want PayPal to have any say so or leeway onto getting any funds other than what I deem necesarry. I have seen people cleaned out, and wanted no part of that. best to open up a checking at a different bank than you regular bank (so they don't accidentally tie it to your other account and usually they will if you use the same bank). When I get a payment I take the money out and transfer it to my regular checking as soon as I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:37 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

w/e i acccept cred on ebay, grr nevermind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:00 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

PayPal_ one of the worst experiences of my life. i ended up involving the USPS, FBI, local police, but Pay pal really wouldn't cooperate without a warrant. which no agency was going to bother with for $500. I have tried bewing part of that Class action lawsuit, but everytime i fill it out, i get an error and am told to check back later.
If you are interested, here is the link to my sad story
Pay Pal is the scum of the earth, do not use them, things may go right 5 out of 6 times, but that 6th time will really screw you, and they could care less as long as they get their money. Also, even after this person scammed me, and 6 others, neither pay-pal nor e-bay would cut them off.

Legit Reviews :: View topic - Pay-Pal
http://legitreviews.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=273

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:53 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

In my case I had to have it because of running a small shop, and selling online too. I don't do online anymore, and am transitioning from the PC field to the medical field. Soon I will be done with owning and running a shop. I'll still do it as a hobby - then it will be more fun. Also I will be getting rid of PayPal as well. As much as I will be studying I won't even so much as have the time to build, much less sell to anyone else or mess with PayPal. I'll buy what I want at that point.