Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows XP hang up
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:14 pm 

The problem is that whenever I right-click on a file ( or choose file from the menu at the top of the windows) to get the contect menu (ie properties, copy, paste, etc.), my system aeems to hang for five to ten seconds then the menu will pop up and continue on just fine fast as normal. I also noticed that if I click elsewhere and right click again right away it doesn't hang up. I am fairly certian this is not a hardware related issue since I have wiped the system and reloaded all my software, the problem did not appear for a while. I can not pinpoint any software that I loaded that could be causing this as I loaded all my software right after install and the problem did not reappear for a couple weeks afterwards. Its not really a serious problem but it really bugs me that my system can run so smoothly yet still screech to a halt when I want to unrar or just check the properties of a stupid file :x

here's the basic rundown of my system:
P4 3.0GHz 800FSB CPU
Giga-byte 865PE m/b
512 Mb DDR RAM
MSI GeForce 5700 LE 128Mb Video
Creative SB Live! 5.1 Sound
LG 16x DVD-ROM
52x LG CD-RW
Samsung 160Gb SATA hard drive
Panasonic 1.44Mb Floppy

(software I have running)
Windows XP pro
Disk keeper pro
Norton AV 2003
Spybot: S&D 1.3

(winrar also shows up in the context menu)

I am hoping someone out there knows what the hell Windows is doing and can offer a solution. Thanx for any help you can provide.

Post subject: Re: Windows XP hang up
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:01 am 
Willamette
Willamette

rtisdale wrote:
The problem is that whenever I right-click on a file ( or choose file from the menu at the top of the windows) to get the contect menu (ie properties, copy, paste, etc.), my system aeems to hang for five to ten seconds then the menu will pop up and continue on just fine fast as normal. I also noticed that if I click elsewhere and right click again right away it doesn't hang up. I am fairly certian this is not a hardware related issue since I have wiped the system and reloaded all my software, the problem did not appear for a while. I can not pinpoint any software that I loaded that could be causing this as I loaded all my software right after install and the problem did not reappear for a couple weeks afterwards. Its not really a serious problem but it really bugs me that my system can run so smoothly yet still screech to a halt when I want to unrar or just check the properties of a stupid file :x

P4 3.0GHz 800FSB CPU
Giga-byte 865PE m/b
512 Mb DDR RAM
LG 16x DVD-ROM
52x LG CD-RW
Panasonic 1.44Mb Floppy

Windows XP pro
Disk keeper pro
Norton AV 2003

I am hoping someone out there knows what the hell Windows is doing and can offer a solution. Thanx for any help you can provide.

A bunch of things could be doing this, but I'll still ask:
1) how many system resources are you using at a standard right click on a file?
2) have you defragged your HDD in a while? They like that...
3) are you clicking on large files that require some searchin on the HDD to get info back to you (ie big photos that take a sec to create a thumbnail and then tell you statsm etc)?

Post subject: Re: Windows XP hang up
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:06 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

rtisdale wrote:

P4 3.0GHz 800FSB CPU
Giga-byte 865PE m/b
512 Mb DDR RAM
LG 16x DVD-ROM
52x LG CD-RW
Panasonic 1.44Mb Floppy

Windows XP pro
Disk keeper pro
Norton AV 2003

Bad RAM could lead to this problem. Try downloading a RAM or system diagnostic program and scanning. Please let us know if you find anything.