Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: RAID help!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:17 pm 

So last night as i was leaving work, the main machine gives an odd error message: Could not write to C:, so i was like wtf? I hope its not the HDD going on this puppy. I couldnt get out of windows no matter what i tried, the three finger salute didnt even make the system wink.

So i hit the reset button, and it gives me errors trying to load windows.... not a good sign. At this point, i was stuck in DOS so i quickly pulled out the keyboard and started typing commands to copy the main data folder to another drive.... (since i dont recall the last time the boss did a back up) i copied the files and i quickly backed up to another drive.

The back up themselves arent massive, but they do contain quite a bit of data that i have been working on/with for a while now, so its not something that i want to loose.

Now, the problem starts with it being in DOS so i have no access to a burner or any of the other computers on the network to dump all this data onto. i knew there was two drives in here and they are supposed to be in a RAID 1 configuration (mirror mode) but for the life of me, i cant seem to be able to access either drive, so i have no idea which drive is the faulty one or which is the working one, and i dont have access to a RAID card to see if its the mobo thats causing problems.

Now what i have tried:

1. tried to boot separated by unplugging one drive at a time to see which is the faulty one. No luck.

2. cant access the drives with any utilities drive image or anything.

3. i even tried plugging in the drive into the regular IDE port just to see if that would give me any results or at least access to the drive, but no cigar.

4. I put in a third drive and got windows up and running and none of the drives are being recognized by the OS.

Now what i am afraid of is that whom ever assembled this PC they didnt know what they were doing and put the drives in stripping mode instead. If that is the case i am gonna kill someone.

Any ideas of how to try and access the data off the drives???? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:08 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

what brand of hdds are they if you dont mind me asking?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:09 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

one more thing, try changing out the cable and usin a spare raid cable if you have one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:24 pm 

How about... what brand/model raid controller? Is it onboard or is it a PCI card? What brand/model of HDD.

Post subject: Re: RAID help!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:58 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

*pulls collar*

This does not bode well for you, my friend.

From what you describe it sounds like they're both dying.

A possible solution would be a) to try them both in another computer if you have one available to you, b) an unconventional method with which I have never had success would be to stick them in a bag in the freezer for around 6-8 hours, take them out and try them to see if that will work for data extraction: http://faq.storagereview.com/tiki-index ... taRecovery

"Freezer trick: pack drive in ESD bag, tape shut, shove in freezer for a few hours (or overnight). Remove from freezer and immediately plug into a known working system as a slave drive, then hope it spins up and behaves long enough to copy data."

HOWEVER, be wary of such tricks as they could be the last thing your drive will do.

and c) get another drive that you know is functioning well and attempt again to get the data off of either disk.

The brand names would be helpful to tell use whether you can get warranties, RMAs, disk checking software, or etc.

G'luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:42 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
last time my raid went sour in the reboot process you get an option to enter the raid bios, if so you should get an option to "rebuild the array" this worked for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:01 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Get the drive utility off the hard drives website and check each hard drive on an IDE channel, set drives as master. If your drives were set for raid 0, say bye to your info if one of the drives went south. If the raid controller went just get another one of the same make and model and it should see your drives.

Nasty