Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: laptop not reading DVD-RW drive
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:54 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Ok, system specs are here under the "laptop". The DVD burner in question is a removable NEC DVD+RW ND5100A

Basically, the laptop is giving me an error of "D:\ is not a valid win32 application" whenever I try to read from it or open a DVD from my computer.

Not too sure what could possibly be causing this as it's worked before and I haven't changed any settings regarding it recently, or ever for that matter.

I uninstalled it, hoping windows would right itself by reinstalling the drivers automatically so that the install would at least be correct. And the error stayed the same. But I found out that the disc is at least being seen when I populate the drive. *shrug*

If anybody's got a single clue on this one, help me out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:02 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

well, I've never seen that.

try popping it out of the bay and sticking it back in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:15 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

yeh that was among the first things I did...

I found out that if I don't go through my computer and just use my media player, it will play!

*hate hate hate*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:57 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

ShiftyEyedGoat wrote:
yeh that was among the first things I did...

I found out that if I don't go through my computer and just use my media player, it will play!

*hate hate hate*

Have you checked the manufacturers website for any driver updates. Make sure the drivers you get are compatible with your OS.

I have had experiences with the CD-RW at my work where they will not be recognized any more or will not read any CD at all. It was found there was a firmware update on the AOpen's website and when the firmware was updated everything worked fine again. You can try this also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:40 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

yeh, already checked for any manufacturer updates and found this... let me get it:

"We do not currently sell DVD/CD-RW drives directly to consumers and do not provide drivers or firmware for these drives. Please check with the vendor or OEM that you obtained the drive for support and updates."

Dell didn't have it even listed as a drive they use when I checked for any OEM drivers.

I could potentially find them off of one of the initial CDs you're given, but even if I could I don't have access.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:10 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

ShiftyEyedGoat wrote:
yeh, already checked for any manufacturer updates and found this... let me get it:

"We do not currently sell DVD/CD-RW drives directly to consumers and do not provide drivers or firmware for these drives. Please check with the vendor or OEM that you obtained the drive for support and updates."

Dell didn't have it even listed as a drive they use when I checked for any OEM drivers.

I could potentially find them off of one of the initial CDs you're given, but even if I could I don't have access.

I found this information by doing a search on google for that specific drive.

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?p=122792

http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforu ... 0A&x=2&y=8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:30 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

yeh, I saw that second one, just says Dell hasn't released any firmware upgrades.

The first one offers up a nice firmware upgrade that would allow me to use -R media, but it scares me a little too much to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:04 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

ShiftyEyedGoat wrote:
yeh, I saw that second one, just says Dell hasn't released any firmware upgrades.

The first one offers up a nice firmware upgrade that would allow me to use -R media, but it scares me a little too much to use.

You can try looking on www.windrivers.com or some other reputable hardware drivers source. Just make sure to back up the existing configuration for you dvd drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:06 am 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

ShiftyEyedGoat wrote:

The stuff on rpc1.org is very good. Both me and my old roommate used their firmware to upgrade our laptop's DVD drives to region-free.

I never had a problem with any of their firmware......yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:18 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Flytrap7 wrote:
ShiftyEyedGoat wrote:

The stuff on rpc1.org is very good. Both me and my old roommate used their firmware to upgrade our laptop's DVD drives to region-free.

I never had a problem with any of their firmware......yet.

I'll take a jab at it... let you know later how it goes.

Thanks all for helpful responses. :D