Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: All IDE drives listed as SCSI, source of DVD-R bottleneck?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:05 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Hey all. I'm getting quite frustrated burning all these DVDs for my mother. You see, we bought a 10pk of Verbatim 8x DVD+Rs but the most I have seen them burn at was 6.7x. On top of that, that speed was only held for a few seconds, then it quickly dropped to 2x, where it then bounced between .6x and 2x for the rest of the DVD, about 3/4 of the burn, which was only 1.3gb.

I just can't figure out what the bottleneck is. I've got the ISO on my Seagate 80gb 7200RPM IDE HDD, and I'm using Windows XP Pro on my old 30gb Maxtor 7200RPM IDE HDD. The burning software has both been Roxio and K3b, both on the 30gb Maxtor, although I was running Roxio on the Seagate with the same problem a few weeks ago.

At first I thought it was the fact that I was so low on HDD space, so I cleared a few things out. I now have 5.55gb free on the partiton that XP Pro and Roxio are on, which is about 4x the size of the ISO, and I have 4.39gb free on the Seagate, about 3x the size of the ISO.

The two HDDs are on the same IDE cable, with the DVD+/-RW on the other IDE cable as master, with the DVD-ROM on the same cable as slave.

My spec's are as follows:
AMD Barton 2500+ oc'ed to 3200+ at about 47C CPU and 29C Mainboard
Abit NF7-S mobo, unsure if it's revision 2 or not, but I bought it in June from Newegg.
512mb Mushkin DDR 400 ram @ DDR 400
Lite-On 8x DVD+/-RW with 8x DVD+R
Maxtor 30gb 7200RPM HDD as Master
Seagate 80gb 7200RPM as Slave

Something is fishy here, and I don't like it. I just looked up device manager, and it shows all my IDE drives listed as SCSI drives. That's not right, though I don't know what the cause is, nor the solution.

Every single IDE drive is listed as SCSI, my 2 HDDs, and my 2 Opticals.
All I did was reinstall XP Pro to the older drive about 2 days ago. I have no idea why it's listing them all as SCSI.

I just checked, and it shows that my IDE controller, NVIDIA nforce IDE controller is functioning properly.

I guess the first thing I should do is get all my IDE drives to be listed as IDE, but how?

TIA,
Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:38 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

What Roxio program are you using to burn? I've had a similar instance trying to burn a DVD. Easy CD & DVD Creator is a bit flaky in recognizing newer DVD-R\RW burners. Nero Burning Rom works quite well for me, and is often up to date with newer drive recogintion.

Check for an update at Roxio's web if your drive is listed as a compatible unit. If all else fails, uninstall it, and use Nero.

By the way, what type of movies are you trying to burn? Are you new to DVD creation.

Here's a site that covers "EVERYTHING" DVD

http://www.videohelp.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:46 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Roxio Supported Drive Inquiry Strings:

http://rpp.roxio.com/drives/?page=supported_drives&ltr=L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:07 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Thanks, but it's not Roxio that I'm having the problem with, it's Win Xp Pro.

Says in the Device Manager that I have 4 SCSI drives, two hard disks and two opticals.

The only thing I'm running that's SCSI is a Minolta Scan Dual.

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:58 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Bear in mind that Roxio changes your drives device settings when installed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:04 am 
Astro lube 2 the MAX!
Astro lube 2 the MAX!

Do you got any IDE controller cards? onboard RAID controller? anything that is not connected to the standard IDE ports that are on the board?

I got a promise ata 100 card, and a silicon sata controller. I got stuff connected to both stuff and reports them as SCSI devices. Now if I just leave the stuff on the reg. controllers doesn't report em as that.

So I dunno why, whoever at microsoft made it like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:16 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

wiseoracle wrote:
Do you got any IDE controller cards? onboard RAID controller? anything that is not connected to the standard IDE ports that are on the board?

I got a promise ata 100 card, and a silicon sata controller. I got stuff connected to both stuff and reports them as SCSI devices. Now if I just leave the stuff on the reg. controllers doesn't report em as that.

So I dunno why, whoever at microsoft made it like that.

My NVIDIA Nforce IDE Controller is funtioning normally.

There are only two connectors. On one connector I have my two HDDs, and on the other I have my two opticals.

My SCSI scanner is hooked up to the SCSI controller card in one of my PCI slots.

I have no SATA devices hooked up, nor any RAID arrays that are up.

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:17 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

daveyd wrote:
Bear in mind that Roxio changes your drives device settings when installed.

That's just great, why would it change my HDDs?

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:55 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Remove your SCSI card and try installing your mainboard chipset drivers. What happens then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:38 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Hadn't thought of that, will give it a try now.

Thanks,
Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:00 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Okay, I removed the SCSI controller card, then reinstalled the chipset drivers.

Upon reboot I went into the device manager to find that all 4 drives were still listed as SCSI. I uninstalled the two optical drives, then scanned for hardware changes. It reinstalled the two optical drives as SCSI drives, exactlty the way they were before.

I'm lost. Why the f#@& does Windows think I have 4 SCSI drives when I don't even have a SCSI controller in there?

I need some more ideas, I'm all out,
Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:35 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
what scsi card was in the machine was it bootable card or a dummy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:58 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Belboz99 wrote:

Upon reboot I went into the device manager to find that all 4 drives were still listed as SCSI. I uninstalled the two optical drives, then scanned for hardware changes. It reinstalled the two optical drives as SCSI drives, exactlty the way they were before.

I'm lost. Why the f#@& does Windows think I have 4 SCSI drives when I don't even have a SCSI controller in there?

Dan O.

kinda of a PAIN in the ass admitedly but as you just reinstalled (i'm guessing you may still have stuff, such as drivers and SP1 on the HD or cd's... but reformat and see if the drives show up as SCSI or not on a fresh install (prior to installing the SCSI card // and ROXIO)??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:11 pm 

I tried to find what i could on google....

Searched under "IDE showing as SCSI" got some stuff that might help you... not sure. Tried searching useing other combinations of words, etc, but this one seemed to come up with stuff that seemed more relavant to what you are saying.

I dunno, might want to check it out, saw a couple topic titles from forums that had very similiar titles as yours...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:20 pm 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

maddingo wrote:
Belboz99 wrote:

Dan O.

kinda of a PAIN in the ass admitedly but as you just reinstalled (i'm guessing you may still have stuff, such as drivers and SP1 on the HD or cd's... but reformat and see if the drives show up as SCSI or not on a fresh install (prior to installing the SCSI card // and ROXIO)??

I suppose I should have clarified what I meant by "reinstalled." I did a fresh install of XP Pro onto the old drive, XP Pro used to be on the new drive.

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:01 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

heres something that i dont think has been brought up, as most people know when u burn sort of media it doesn't start out at its fastest speed, it starts out slow and as it burns more it speeds up, and since you weren't burning a complete DVD perhaps it didn't have enough to get up to a higher speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:22 am 

If I recall correctly the Nforce 2 drivers had an issue where it would list normal IDE devices as SCSI devices in the Device Manager. Nvidia tried to fix this issue, but it resulted in some recalled drivers. I dont remeber if they ever fixed that issue or not. Have you upgraded your motherboard drivers to the latest versions? If so, you could try uninstalling the Nvidia IDE drivers, and see if your devices rollback to normal IDE listings. This is something you can try, but I have never heard of the drives being listed as SCSI, as having caused the problems you seem to be having.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:39 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

toidiochysp wrote:
heres something that i dont think has been brought up, as most people know when u burn sort of media it doesn't start out at its fastest speed, it starts out slow and as it burns more it speeds up, and since you weren't burning a complete DVD perhaps it didn't have enough to get up to a higher speed

Actually, the speeds started out at 4x, then up to 6.7x, then for about 20minutes bounced around at .6x to 2x.

They really got slower as the disk was burned, not faster.

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:41 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

The_Starfox wrote:
If I recall correctly the Nforce 2 drivers had an issue where it would list normal IDE devices as SCSI devices in the Device Manager. Nvidia tried to fix this issue, but it resulted in some recalled drivers. I dont remeber if they ever fixed that issue or not. Have you upgraded your motherboard drivers to the latest versions? If so, you could try uninstalling the Nvidia IDE drivers, and see if your devices rollback to normal IDE listings. This is something you can try, but I have never heard of the drives being listed as SCSI, as having caused the problems you seem to be having.

That's nice. I thought I had the latest drivers, but I could uninstall them and see what happens. I'll also double-check Abit's site, see if there are any new ones.

Thanks,
Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:58 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

Well, it seems that I have found what went wrong. I foolishly went to Abit-USA thinking that it would be best to get some chipset drivers for my specific mobo. Turns out those drivers are well over a year old.

So, I took a virtual trip to Nvidia and found that they had some unfied drivers that were very up to date. Go Nvidia!

I do wish that Abit would keep their drivers up to date. :?

Thanks all. I just need to install these drivers and my problem should be solved! :D

Thanks again,
Dan O.