Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Oh S**T (bios update/raid gone bad?)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:41 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Well,

I installed a 3.2Ghz Prescott in my desktop rig tonight. It booted up fine. Windows loaded. Everything was normal. I thought that the temp reading from the motherboard was reading somewhat high (I know Prescott runs hotter then the Northwoods) and after looking up Abit's website I saw that there was several updates for my bios. (I think there was four new updates)

So I installed and stared Abit's "windows based" update tool and set it to update to the newest bios rev. (the newest stated the the temps were adjusted to read correct)

So it downloads and (I guess) installs the new bios and reboots.

Now is where the "Oh S**t" part comes in.

I am running two 36gig WD Raptors in raid 0 as the boot drive. But when the computer restarted, it was set to load windows on the hard drive that I use to back-up my raid. I went into bios to reset the boot order, but I cant get it to boot off of my raid. No matter what setting I put it on.

Every time I try something, I keep getting the same message. "NTLDR is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

What happend? Did the bios update nuke my raid? Or is there a setting that I'm forgeting to set?

BTW, I'm using a Abit IC7-Max3 mobo. I guess the good news is that it is showing that its using the newest bios#.....

HELP!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:38 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

There is a happy ending. (for me anyway)

Turns out that when the bios was updated, for some reason, the RAID chip was turned off by default. So while I was trying to get it to boot from the raid, there wasn't one to begin with. After searching and playing (and giving up and walking away for about 1/2 hour) I finally noticed that the onboard RAID was turned off.

After switching it back on (and praying to god) it started. So far so good. I'll have to run some benchmarks and then see how much it'll overclock....

And the bios update did change the temps that the hardware monitor was showing. It went from showing 70C under full load to showing 65C. That makes me feel better.

On a side note, Abit really needs to update their "FAQ" section on RAID. The newest post is two years old now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:03 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I hate that. On my old FIC AZ11 I had dumped the pic in the BIOS that covered up the POST so I can see WTF was going on. After I ditched their shitty ATA/100 controller (which ran off the mobo's BIOS chip) I flashed my BIOS and their crap BIOS pic came back, but the utility on runs in Win98, not Win2000, so I was stuck with the pic unless I wanted to reload Win98...

edited for stupidity

Last edited by deject on Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:00 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Yea, it didn't help that my LCD would go into standby everytime the computer would restart. About the time the monitor would power up, it would be past the post and it was giving me that "Ctrl+Alt+Del" message.

Most of the time, by the time the LCD powers up, its already passed the Intel Pentium 4 screen, I catch a flash of the RAID status screen, and then I see windows loading. Not that this is a bad thing, I kinda like that this computer boots up in about 45 seconds....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:15 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

niterider wrote:
Yea, it didn't help that my LCD would go into standby everytime the computer would restart. About the time the monitor would power up, it would be past the post and it was giving me that "Ctrl+Alt+Del" message.

Most of the time, by the time the LCD powers up, its already passed the Intel Pentium 4 screen, I catch a flash of the RAID status screen, and then I see windows loading. Not that this is a bad thing, I kinda like that this computer boots up in about 45 seconds....

Lucky bastid, Mine takes about 1:30. It's a Win2k box.

That reminds me, I'd better turn off the auto-login before I go to college...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:24 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Windows+RAIDed raptors=good times.

Only downside is the RAID slows the startup by about 5-10 secs.

I have a friend that is begging me to install two 74gig raptors in RAID 0 in his rig. I keep telling him to do it himself, but he's worried that something will explode or something....

I know that I'm not the most knowledgeable about computers, but I know enough to make myself dangerous..... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:27 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

FYI: When you flash a BIOS, you are rewriting over the chip. It is not possible for your settings to be saved unless they are stored off the chip ... so you should expect to all of your settings to revert to defaults.

This means that you shuold write down all of your settings before you flash the BIOS.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:01 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Yea, I know that now.

Experience is a wonderfull teacher..... :roll: