Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Overclocking Ram
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:11 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I have a really basic question about overclocking ram. I'm planning on an Asus A8V Deluxe and some name brand PC3200 ram, either Corsair, OCZ or Kingston. I'm interested in overclocking the memory, but more importantly, I'm interested in buying memory that is able to be overclocked.

Now, my question. With PC3200 ram, will it be overclocked to 3700 or so? Or, do I buy PC3700 ram and overclock my motherboard to meet the ram?

The motherboard is reported to handle up to PC3200 but I've heard people running PC3700. Are they actually running PC3700 or are they running PC3200 overclocked to PC3700?

I'm quite new to this overclocking thing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:58 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

The ratings only show what frequency it officially can support or is tested to. You don't have to use it all up, and may not be able to, that's part of the game in OC'ing. If you want to overclock, then I would get something higher than 3200.

But more importantly on an AMD board, you'll get more use out of the Enhanced Bandwidth than actual clock speeds that Intel chips like. OZC's EB 3500 or 3700 would be GREAT for your system.

pdjkfc wrote:
"The motherboard is reported to handle up to PC3200 but I've heard people running PC3700."
The motherboard only officially supports those speeds. It's up to you to find others that are using it to see if they have problems or not, then decide. IMO, it'll take what you throw at it, but it's so new, I've heard very little thus far. It's rare when you hear a board-maker that officially supports anything BUT 3200. But, you can go to the memory maker and see what they're compatible with...and that's what I'd do. You may never get a board maker to say they encourage overclocking (but yet they give you all the tools to do so).

pdjkfc wrote:
"Are they actually running PC3700 or are they running PC3200 overclocked to PC3700?"
They're running PC3700, or they'd say PC3200 at so-and-so speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:11 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

So, you think I could buy a pair of 3700 sticks and put them in the mobo and it would run alright without having to overclock anything? Just stick them in and it'll work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:34 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

pdjkfc wrote:
So, you think I could buy a pair of 3700 sticks and put them in the mobo and it would run alright without having to overclock anything? Just stick them in and it'll work?

it'll run at the speeds the cpu's fsb is at. the fsb should reach up to 233mhz with the PC3700 ram.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:58 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I plan on using an amd 64 3500+. The FBS is reported as 200mhz, but you think it can run 233? Would I have to unlock it and adjust the multiplier and all that other stuff I hear about, or would it just do it on its own?

Basically, what would I have to do to run PC3700 or 4000 ram with a 3500+ and an Asus A8V deluxe?

On the Asus website it says that the A8V deluxe has "a unique option in BIOS that enables quick overclocking up to 30% (depends on CPU and RAM). It automatically detects and optimizes every relevant parameter to provide both performance and stability."

Would it do it all for me? Sorry, this may sound very elementary, but I'm new to this.

Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:15 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Chumly -

I'm close to joining the OCZ bandwagon, it sounds awesome. But, I'm not finding any benchmarks or proof that this "extra bandwidth" is better or even exists.

If you know of any sites that compare ram or if you have any wonderful glory stories to relate, let me know. And, if you could, explain how this extra bandwidth will help and why it's better than getting faster ram.

I know you like OCZ, now's your time to say great things.