Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: videocard software?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:39 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

hey-I need some software that will tell me how hot my GPU is running on my 9800 Pro. I want to overclock it w/ Powerstrip, but I dont want to fry my 200$ card. Also, how hot can a 9800 pro get?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:49 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

I don't think anyone overclocks their cards while monitoring temps, but I could be wrong.

Usually, you bump up the speed in increments and run 3DMark until there's noticable artifacts on the screen then back off by about 15% for a little headroom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:07 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

alright-ill do that then-i guess ill also run intense games too to see any screen artifacts.thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:20 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

u could always just put ur hand on the heatsink if u cant find any temperature monitoring software ... old school, but it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:46 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hi

Unless you have an 9800 XT, I don't think you'll find a temp monitor. Here's a couple quick ideas.

1) Don't put your hand on the heatsink, put it on the back of the CPU core instead. It will be hot...you'll probably be suprised at how hot it will be, Mine was pushing 60 degrees before I watercooled it. That's a fairly normal temp for high end video cards.

2) If you want to continually monitor your temps, you could pick up a fan controller with a thermal sensor. That way you can constantly monitor all the temps in your case.

that's all I can think of at the moment..hope it helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:52 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Booradley wrote:
1) Don't put your hand on the heatsink, put it on the back of the CPU core instead. It will be hot...you'll probably be suprised at how hot it will be, Mine was pushing 60 degrees before I watercooled it. That's a fairly normal temp for high end video cards.

depending on the card, that could cross a contact, which is why i didnt suggest it ... but that would be better, just be careful what you touch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:24 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Good point.

With my 9800 pro there is a "bald spot" for a lack of a better term, on the back of the card where the core is. I also have the heat sensor placed there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:30 pm 

Screw powerstrip if all you want to do is overclock your ATI card. I've been using ATItool for awhile now and it overclocks and monitors your temps. I don't know how reliable it is for temps but it does change depending on usage. Get it here!

http://atitool.ocfaq.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:39 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

is powerstrip good overclock tool for nforce cards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:14 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

filmbot wrote:
is powerstrip good overclock tool for nforce cards
nVidia Video cards or nForce Motherboards? If it's nVidia Video cards, then I have a little trick for you!
  • Do all the normal percautionary stuff you should do when you edit the registry. Because that's what you are about to do.
  • Go to Start->Run->type rededit
  • Open HKEY local machine->Software->NVIDIA Corporation->Global->NVTweak
  • In a bare (white) area of the right pane, right click
  • Chose "New" then "DWORD" value
  • Name this new Dword "Coolbits"
  • Double click your new Coolbits to get the properties.
  • In Value Data field, put in "3" and insure "Hexidecimal" is checked.
  • Close out the registry editor.
Now when you right click on your desktop and go to your properties, You go to the settings tab, click the advanced button, and go to your card's settings tab (usually the back one on the right) you should have a new "Clock Frequencies" setting to play with.
And you made this all by yourself, so go rejoice at your new found wisedom and try to see how to get the smoke out of your card :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:58 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

i heard of this tip from overclockers.com but they didnt go into the steps for it so thanks a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:21 pm 

if i'm not mistaken MAXPC put an article in a past issue advertising a laser temp reader. it looks like a gun but its measures heat by shooting a laser to the designated area. i found this on a msn search http://www.linseis.com/lpt600.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:13 pm 

first off, IMO, I think you'd be a bit better off using Omega drivers, and radlinker for OCing your vid card. In my personal experience, powerstrip wasn't too friendly.

If you wanna monitor temps while OCing the vid, I'd say the best way would be to add a thermal probe to the back of your vid card's gpu, and either mount a small thermal readout display to the front of your rig, or figure out a way to hook up the temp probe to your mobo, so you can using something like Mother board monitor 5 to display the temp.

What video card do you use?
From what I've heard, higher up ATi cards like the 9800 pro's have gpu temp support, but I have no idea really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:20 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

-=WA=-_TRAGIC wrote:
if i'm not mistaken MAXPC put an article in a past issue advertising a laser temp reader. it looks like a gun but its measures heat by shooting a laser to the designated area. i found this on a msn search http://www.linseis.com/lpt600.htm
Ya! One of these:
They run around $100 though, with this Raytek Raynger ST running a heafty $310. Not for the feint of heart. But hey, you can tune carberators and check tire temperatures...nice for the average racer/PC geek :D
A warm and hearty "welcome back" dude!