Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What Notebook? A few differnet questions
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:41 pm 

I know there are already some posts on this but i have a few slightly different questions...
I am looking at a new notebook and there is really no price cap.

First of all i am concidering alienware, voodoo, and dell's xps. Second I am wanting basically the best of the best components (but its not a big deal if say alienware only offers the 3.2ghz p4ee instead of the 3.4ghz p4ee). I also read alienware uses the slowest ram of the 3, is that the case?

Just a few more questions...
is the video card memory shared with the ram on these systems?

what screen would have the best rez for gaming, watching movies, and running apps? though most of the time i will probably be using an external monitor. I am thinking the alienware 16.1 inch at 1600X1200 would be the best (i am running 16000X1200 now and like it)

I live in canada...so would voodoo or dell be better since i would not have to pay duty? by any chance does anyone know how much duty roughly is? (i know i said price is no barrier, but if i can save some cash, why not. plus i don't really want to fork over a bunch to the government.)

Last but not least the biggie:
AMD or Intel? I am looking to do all i can with this, gaming, video edditing, image design, etc. What one is going to perform better (if it is even noticeable) and would the AMD be better for future apps since it is 64bit (i mean when the 64bit windows is out)

Post subject: Re: What Notebook? A few differnet questions
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:16 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

grunkalunka wrote:
I am looking at a new notebook and there is really no price cap.

I'm in the same boat so I'll share some of my personal opinions.

grunkalunka wrote:
First of all i am concidering alienware, voodoo, and dell's xps. Second I am wanting basically the best of the best components (but its not a big deal if say alienware only offers the 3.2ghz p4ee instead of the 3.4ghz p4ee).

You should also consider the following resellers who do happen to have the P4EE 3.4 Ghz in their top models:
http://www.pro-star.com
http://www.sagernotebooks.com
http://www.eurocom.ca (for our Canadian members)

grunkalunka wrote:
I also read alienware uses the slowest ram of the 3, is that the case?

Last I checked Alienware was putting DDR400 in their high end systems, and the other resellers (Voodoo, Pro-Star, etc) are also doing the same. I don't keep track of Dell because I'm not a big fan of their laptops.

grunkalunka wrote:
is the video card memory shared with the ram on these systems?

The high end systems all have their own dedicated

grunkalunka wrote:
what screen would have the best rez for gaming, watching movies, and running apps? though most of the time i will probably be using an external monitor. I am thinking the alienware 16.1 inch at 1600X1200 would be the best (i am running 16000X1200 now and like it)

1600x1200 is definitely a great way to go. I'm running 1400x1050 right now and I wish I could bump it up to 1600x1200. I'm a big fan of lots of desktop space to work on. The other option are those recently released 17" SWXGA+ screens that are doing 1680x1050 or something similar I can't quite remember.

grunkalunka wrote:
I live in canada...so would voodoo or dell be better since i would not have to pay duty?

check out :
http://www.eurocom.ca

grunkalunka wrote:
AMD or Intel? I am looking to do all i can with this, gaming, video edditing, image design, etc. What one is going to perform better (if it is even noticeable) and would the AMD be better for future apps since it is 64bit (i mean when the 64bit windows is out)

I'm currently waiting for 64-bit, whether it be Intel or AMD is not a major concern. I don't plan on ever buying a 32-bit system ever again so my next laptop which I'll hopefully be able to get within the next few months (if Clevo gets off their ass and designs one)will be 64-bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:10 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Well, I agree with most of what Flytrap said.

I dont really like Dell's high end laptops right now...they're just too freakin bulky. I like them to be slimmer. We have an Inspiron 9100 and the screen makes this creaking/cracking sound when you open it. Im not saying they all do, but ours does :)

Currently I like Sager, alienware, and voodoo. They have high end components, and they also are packed into a slimmer case.

As for screen size, I would stick with a 15.x" or 16"...the 17" screens would probably force you to turn down the details but they'd be awesome for watching movies on.

AMD's procs are doing well in games, and Intel is staying ahead in multimedia, but either one would be a good choice really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:45 am 

Thanks for your imput guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:48 am 

No price cap? Go for this with a dual 80gb raid :D

http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/note ... tType=8790