Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HD Help
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:56 pm 

Ok so i am building a desktop for my roomie at school using limited resources and whatever. Well i seem to have gotten myself stuck. I was turning on the finished product with what i thought was everything plugged in but one of the hard drives power connecters was not pushed all the way in. When i hit the power switch i saw a flash of blue spark and i shut it down immediatly. After replugging it in i turned on the case again and it goes through startup asking for password on the xp front page and then it goes to a blank screen and wont advance past that. did i fry my hard drive completely or what? I have another harddrive in it but it is not formatted and doesnt contain any info. Is there anyway i can fix this problem or did i screw myself?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:34 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

oh man blue sparks... hmmm.

well I guess what I suggest is to DL the drive diagnostic utility from the manufactures website (the usually have a diagnostic tool, that generally you run from a floppy)

anyway if you run the diagnostic it should give you a idea of if you've borked the drive or not.

have you tried to boot to safemode F8 before XP logoboot screen ?? if you can get to safe mode you can try "chkdsk C: /R" (without quotes at the command prompt ... hopefully that can fix stuff if you managed to mix up some of the drive data.

anyway good luck.

Post subject: An idea
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:45 pm 

Just to get you up and running quickly, you may want to try installing Windows on the other hard drive. If the new install works fine and you do not notice anything strange, then at least you know that other components of the computer are probably ok. Now you can focus on the problem hard drive. Can Windows recognize the problem hard drive from the new install? Try running the manufacturer's diagnostics. You may also just want to format and reinstall on the problem hard drive - bearing no physical harm was done. Sometimes formatting and reinstalling is faster than spending hours troubleshooting - especially if this is a clean install with little or no data to recover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:08 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

If it gets you to the windows log-on screen, I don't think the drive is hosed. I DO think that it has some bad/corrupt sectors on it now.

I haven't used too many utilities, so try out their advice first. I just run chkdsk /f or chkdsk /r. Once you find the bad areas of the drive, it tags them and won't use them again. So, after all that, you'll have to re-install windows.

Brian has the good idea if you want to get up and running right now, but you'll eventually have to get to that hard drive. Myself, I'd want to get it worked out first.