Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: overclocking newbie- please help
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:18 pm 

hi, im about to build a completely custom computer, because its about time i did something by myself for a change. after all my research and asking of questions, my freind told me to try overclocking a AMD cpu. so, i was thinking of gettin the AMD 64 3200+, but the thing is, theres that whole issue of everyone saying its going to burn out if i overclock it. i was thinking of taking the 3200+ that has a speed of 2 GHz, and overclocking it so it has the power of a 3600+ (2.40 GHz.) how can i overclock, and cool it so it wont burn out, and if you have a solution, please dont post some extremely expensive water cooling system. thanks to those who respond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:06 pm 

hrmmm, 8 visits, no replies....
come on, i know some of you comp geniouses know the answer...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:46 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I think they may be waiting for you to break the post up a bit, so they can read it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:00 pm 

???

Post subject: Re: overclocking newbie- please help
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:03 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

csdude wrote:
hi, im about to build a completely custom computer, because its about time i did something by myself for a change. after all my research and asking of questions, my freind told me to try overclocking a AMD cpu. so, i was thinking of gettin the AMD 64 3200+, but the thing is, theres that whole issue of everyone saying its going to burn out if i overclock it. i was thinking of taking the 3200+ that has a speed of 2 GHz, and overclocking it so it has the power of a 3600+ (2.40 GHz.) how can i overclock, and cool it so it wont burn out, and if you have a solution, please dont post some extremely expensive water cooling system. thanks to those who respond.

i CAN break things if you arnt carefuly. it wont absolutly break something every time.

you can cool it with a heatsink

water cooling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:13 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

csdude wrote:
???

He is saying use your enter key :)

Reading blocks of text is tedious so folks often skip it.

Manta

Post subject: Re: overclocking newbie- please help
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:35 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

csdude wrote:
hi, im about to build a completely custom computer, because its about time i did something by myself for a change. after all my research and asking of questions, my freind told me to try overclocking a AMD cpu.

so, i was thinking of gettin the AMD 64 3200+, but the thing is, theres that whole issue of everyone saying its going to burn out if i overclock it. i was thinking of taking the 3200+ that has a speed of 2 GHz, and overclocking it so it has the power of a 3600+ (2.40 GHz.)

how can i overclock, and cool it so it wont burn out, and if you have a solution, please dont post some extremely expensive water cooling system. thanks to those who respond.
See, like that. Anyway...

Your asking for help with what I would think is pretty do'able on the clock speed part. I'm not sure if it'll have the "processing power" of a 3600+, but I'm pretty sure you can reach the clockspeed. It's a 400Hhz jump...there's different ways to attack this, and I'm no AMD users to say so. But, You wanted a reply, so I'm just going to reply.

You can either just up the FSB to reach the speed or you can try and adjust the multiplier. I have no idea about the specifics with the 3200+, but I would think you can unlock the multiplier which would make the FSB adjustment not so severe.

insure that your 3200+ is really 2G's! There's several versions out there. I believe the 2.0Ghz version of the 64 is a mobile proc.
2.0Ghz
2.2Ghz S754 Check out the graphs down toward the bottom of this one to see what I'm confused on:
http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=65000304

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:07 pm 

Quote:
He is saying use your enter key Smile

Reading blocks of text is tedious so folks often skip it.

Manta

what is a heatsink, and what do they do, ive heard about them, but i dont know waht they are...

and i dont want to go into watercooling that much, but what about waterblocks? what are theose and waht do they do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:08 pm 

omg, i meant to quote the guy above that post...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:42 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

csdude wrote:
what is a heatsink, and what do they do, ive heard about them, but i dont know waht they are...

and i dont want to go into watercooling that much, but what about waterblocks? what are theose and waht do they do?

For real? Sorry, but I feel like I'm candid camera...

These are heatsinks
so are some of these

Basically, any device that wicks away heat from one component and places the heat in the air.

If you don't want to talk about water cooling, then we can't talk about waterblocks...but you asked. They are like heatsinks, but only do half of the heat removal cycle: The pickup part. They are blocks, with water pumped through them (water+block=waterblock). They're pumped water with a [water+pump=]"waterpump". You place this on a component that you want to keep cool. Cool water flows in, picks up the heat, then is carried away to another part that gets rid of the heat (usually a radiator).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:48 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

those first heatsinks are huge. how far do you have to go to need something of that size

Post subject: Re:OCing
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:57 pm 

If you can, go with Intel. They usually have a higher temp threshold and the Northwood core processors run pretty low from the start(as opposed to the high temp Prescott chips). First, How much can you spend on cooling? There are some $100 bay mounted WC kits as well as nicer ones such as the Corsair Hydrocool($211 at newegg.com). If you want aircooling go with the Aerocool CPU Fan(model Dp-102). Besides an annoying installation, it is a great fan for low OCing. P.S. Go to www.tomshardware.com for reviews on tons of aircooling/watercooling/overclocking stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:40 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

filmbot wrote:
those first heatsinks are huge. how far do you have to go to need something of that size
That's a very relative question. If you OC and don't overheat, then I guess you're fine. If you're temps start screaming up there, then you'll need one.

I don't think you'll need one for moderate FSB bumps and leave the voltages alone. If you want to build a system to OC then that's a different story all together ("that's a differentl story").