Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: WHAT HAPPENED TO THE NON-CD SUBSCRIPTIONS!?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:19 am 

I cannot believe MPC is making its long time subscribers pay $29.95 for the CD based subscription by removing the non-CD option. I have no use for that stupid CD and even if I had, it does not justify the extra 20 dollars! Who wants to pay 20 bucks for a CD full of demos and crap one can download at no extra charge? What happened to giving your long time subscriber the option to continue their $10-11.00 for 12 issues or increasing the price a bit without forcing us to pay $29.95 for something we don't want?

A magazine should justify a price increase by improving content, not by forcing an extra item with the mag. In my opinion, MPC hasn't done much to increase content. Reviews always boil down to the same crap: MP3 ripping, How to tweak XP (again and again), tools you can't live without, etc. When was the last time this so called 'Minimum BS' mag did anything groundbreaking?

I always enjoyed your magazine as a source of news and details on upcoming products and great reviews; I have been a subscriber since the you were still called Boot! Magazine. You have done us subscribers a disservice by forcing a CD-based subscription. I understand we live in tough times and a company must do what it can do survive, but you could have easily increased the price on your non-CD subs and still make a profit.

I will not renew my subscription; instead, I will read the mag for free whenever I go to barnes&nobles. How's that for profit gain?

Keep up the outstanding MP3 articles guys. Pretty soon you'll be competing with PC magazine...

This mag has gone down the drain... :? :? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:17 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

The best way to get the mag for $12/annual is to open up the mag and take out one of those $12/annual no-cd subscription cards that they kindly include in every issue. Perhaps you can do this when you're at Barnes & Noble reading thier mag.

Or you could subscribe through a third party, my favorite being BestDealMagazines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:13 am 
All Your Basestar Are Belong to Us
All Your Basestar Are Belong to Us

For anyone with half-a-brain or more, the $12/year CD-less subscription can be yours by merely calling Maximum PC Magazine's customer service number, toll-free, 800-274-3421.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:35 am 
Forum's 3dfx Zealot
Forum's 3dfx Zealot

I think the cd included crap is not as needed as much as it use to be. Back when it was Boot more people had dialup and well made downloading things off the net awful. Now that most of us have broadband it is useless for us. But still useful for those dial up users.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:45 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Jawa78 wrote:
I think the cd included crap is not as needed as much as it use to be. Back when it was Boot more people had dialup and well made downloading things off the net awful. Now that most of us have broadband it is useless for us. But still useful for those dial up users.

It's also good for new subscribers just getting into the PC scene. I think there's a post around here somewhere from a 13yr old that is a happy subscriber, and I can only wonder how much of their subscriber base is either young and/or inexperienced. I can see how the CD would play a handy role in introducing utilities that you or I take for granted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:15 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

pthhh...I just like that this Subject was in ALL CAPS. It's not worth screaming over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:17 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Chumly wrote:
pthhh...I just like that this Subject was in ALL CAPS. It's not worth screaming over.

oh...but it is....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:34 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR LOWER CASE!