Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: is air cooling really dead?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:18 am 

this system is running right around 30db. here are the specs:
p4c 3.2ghz oc'd to 3.36ghz 841mhz fsb
pc 3200 ddr 400 corsair xms
2-80gig maxtor sata150 in raid o
1-120 mator p-ata
sound blaster audigy zs platinum
benq cd player
lite on 52x24x52
p4p800 asus
antec true power 430
maddog heatsink modded with a 80mm tornado fan controled by pc toys fan controller.

What are your best o.c.'s with standard air cooling?

I WILL LINK IMAGES LARGER THAN 640px wide.

Last edited by -=WA=-_TRAGIC on Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:35 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

No, aircooling is not dead. I've OCed 1GHz on air with plenty of room to play with in respect to temperatures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:35 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

not much really completly *dies* in the computer world

it will be around for a long time in the future

also, considering that water and condensing cooling systems need air, it will always be alive in those also

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:49 am 
M-Powered
M-Powered

I don't get it, what's the point again? I assumed you're gonna show us an impressive overclock to support the passive cooling method, but 3.2 Northwood at 3.36? I would think you can do better with a stock Intel heatsink with a thermal pad... hell, I reckon it's possible to accomplish the same with a fan-less heatsink in a well ventilated case...

Now, a 2.4A Prescott clocked at 3.8 GHz on air, is a much more convincing case for "air cooling is not dead".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:57 am 
Willamette
Willamette

hmm...i didnt realize that it was so weak....i guess i read it wrong the first time....

160mhz is nothing....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:18 am 

It will be a long time before passive cooling is dead. Water is a sweet setup, but it isn't for everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:53 am 

does this tickle your insides? my point of this post was to find out what other people are getting out of their CPU with moderate air cooling mods, and a stock locked p4c.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:04 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

One of the big reasons I switched the watercooling is these new incredibly huge heatsinks that are coming out from companies like Coolermaster and Thermaltake etc. An 8 pound heat sink with a 120mm fan that sounds like a jet engine just doesn't do it for me. Oddly enough I had a CM Jet 4 before I went to watercooling..so what do I know..lol

BTW I like the look of that AIbooster, besides the looks is it a good utility?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:06 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

-=WA=-_TRAGIC wrote:
does this tickle your insides? my point of this post was to find out what other people are getting out of their CPU with moderate air cooling mods, and a stock locked p4c.
http://aaotracker.4players.de/gallery/pics/pic-38444.jpg

2.4C to 3.0 (250fsb) with stock HSF and voltages

im sorry to say, but your overclock is very weak

EDIT: By chams, removed img tags & replaced with url tags to see if it was breaking tables. Have a nice day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:54 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

BiggPa wrote:
2.4C to 3.0 (250fsb) with stock HSF and voltages

im sorry to say, but your overclock is very weak

Actually, I belive the original poster's PC is a 3.2 (16x multiplier) running 16Mhz over stock, so it's really, really weak. A 2.4C (x12) with 250FSB on air would be really good an require a setup with pretty good components.

I just hit 4G with a 550 at 236Mhz with nothing fancy at all. The new Intel HS/F's really suck balls though. Look at 'em. They're chincy. Temps are pretty great though on the SL7PY versions. Very nice at idle, still ugly on load. Yup. An Intel Prescott idling cooler than a 2400+. Get used to it ;) Still can't do anything extreme with the PCIE's/925x's issues at higher clock rates. (using a wimpy x600 just because it's the only thing available.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:55 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Oh ya...CROP. We don't need the entire desktop. Breaking yet another table...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:20 pm 

Quote:
Actually, I belive the original poster's PC is a 3.2 (16x multiplier) running 16Mhz over stock, so it's really, really weak. A 2.4C (x12) with 250FSB on air would be really good an require a setup with pretty good components.
I just hit 4G with a 550 at 236Mhz with nothing fancy at all. The new Intel HS/F's really suck balls though. Look at 'em. They're chincy. Temps are pretty great though on the SL7PY versions. Very nice at idle, still ugly on load. Yup. An Intel Prescott idling cooler than a 2400+. Get used to it Still can't do anything extreme with the PCIE's/925x's issues at higher clock rates. (using a wimpy x600 just because it's the only thing available.)

i Agree that my overclock is not incredible, but it runs very consistent. turn it on and forget type OC. but like i said earlier i wanting to know what others are getting out of their stock p4c with air cooling(KEY WORD AIR!), another words us ameturs. i have enough to keep me in the game, but i dont have the time or the money to maintain a water cooling system. thanks for your thought s guys much appreciated.....
to answer the question about AI booster, its cool software, but hangs on start up once in while, other than that if works great for OCing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:20 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

-=WA=-_TRAGIC wrote:
i Agree that my overclock is not incredible, but it runs very consistent. turn it on and forget type OC...
Allow me start this by saying that I didn't really mean to insult your OC, but rather point out a mathmatical flaw and defend a 250 FSB being pretty damned good. It just ended up a little backwards. But as far as a "turn it on and forget it type OC", EVERY oc should be that or it's unsuccesful. Those that are running at high clock speeds and still getting errors, should chalk it up as a failure.

-=WA=-_TRAGIC wrote:
But like i said earlier i wanting to know what others are getting out of their stock p4c with air cooling...in other[sic] words, us ameturs.
And I wouldn't be so quick to call air users amatures, in fact...water is almost cheating. I'd call those running big clock cycles on air to be the pros. HS/F's really have pretty high limits to them. But once someone gets water, it's seldom that they trash all the gear to use air again.

I may need another history lesson, but OC'ing came around in order to "peak ahead" into cpu speeds and to look at what is possible. A side effect that came about was that one could make a slower CPU run with the faster and more expensive cpu's. I got into this when a 500Mhz P3 set me back around $500, so it only made since to grab a celeron and get to run with the big dogs as close as possible. Anyway, I was trying to get at this: OC'ing is so much more than how to cool the CPU.

In the adventures of OC'ing, you'll run into a wall. You'll notice it when you have the same exact gear (at least at a glance) as someone else, but THEY have a better attempt. This is when you start diving into the steppings, SL #'s, Manufacturing country, timmings, voltages, and even as deep as replacing discrete devices on the board themselves. It's this threshold that amatures cross as they venture into the upper echelons of the ranks. And looking back, you can usually say, "hmphh...I could have gone this fast without spending all this money on a cooling rig. Oh well..."

A HS/F's job is to get heat off the proc and into the air as fast and effecient as possible, and they're doing it very well. It's when it pumps so much into the air that it begins to sit in it's own feces that I can really find a flaw with air units. All in all, water units can do the job more sanitary by moving the "feces" out of the area in a more controllable manner.

What have the Romans ever done for us? They've brought us better cooling methods :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:22 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

oh...and I saw ya edit the post, but can ya please try to get those pictures down in size? 400 width is a happy place for all of us.

Copy this image and replace the huge screenshots if you have to...
*****Edit: I didn't mean to leech it though*****
There. I've done half the work for ya ;)

Last edited by Chumly on Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:50 am 

np thanks..