Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: NEC ND-3500A or ND-3520A
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:12 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:00 am
Posts: 928
What's the difference? I see people recommending the 3520A over the 3500A and the 3520A seems to be a bit cheaper... So which one?

Oh, and does anyone know where Dual Layer Media can be purchased? (Along with DVD+-R[W] CD-R[W] if possible)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:16 pm 
Celeron
Celeron
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:13 pm
Posts: 7362
Location: New York City
3520A is the newer model. Get it.

There's some DL discs at newegg. I'm sure someone will come up with a better site for specfically media.

Edited for clarification.


Last edited by OCNoob on Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:30 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:01 am
Posts: 8091
3520A


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:07 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:10 pm
Posts: 6657
Location: Houghton, MI (Michigan Technological University)
yea, its just an incremental update to the 3500a. its like the x850xt, nothing new, just a slight update.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:05 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:38 pm
Posts: 2583
Location: Room112
hey kyl3

get the NEC 3520a, its the update of the NEC 3500a and i heard good performance of it. get the 3520a.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:17 pm 
Team Member
Team Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:05 pm
Posts: 269
I just read recently that the 3520a is the OEM version of the 3500a. I just got the 3520 from newegg for 57 bucks. Damn thing is so quiet I have to look to see if its running. I cant tell you about burn speeds cuz I havent ordered any dvd media yet.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:45 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:01 am
Posts: 8091
The above post is completely wrong.

The 3520A is a slight revision of the 3500 (enough so that they use different chipsets and cannot use each others firmware). The only difference is its ability to burn at given speeds.

As for noise you can definetly hear them in use.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:04 pm 
Team Member
Team Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:05 pm
Posts: 269
urmumsacow wrote:
The above post is completely wrong.

The 3520A is a slight revision of the 3500 (enough so that they use different chipsets and cannot use each others firmware). The only difference is its ability to burn at given speeds.

As for noise you can definetly hear them in use.


Well I guess PC mag gave me some wrong info as far as the 3520A being different due to it being OEM. Well after my Lite On drive this one is pretty damn quiet. I didnt say it was "silent"
Hey I found this that makes you totally correct URmumsacow

http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/printable.asp?m=93724


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:59 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:09 pm
Posts: 9602
Location: Land of the Lounge Lizards
Try finding a retail 3500a - it's an oxymoron. :wink:


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:28 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:01 am
Posts: 8091
One4yu2c wrote:
Try finding a retail 3500a - it's an oxymoron. :wink:

Oh don't you go injecting humor into this, you'll only make more peoples brains hurt.

There IS a retail version of the 3500. And there is also a retail version of the 3520. The thing is most of NEC's money comes from the OEM sales so the can be hard to track down.

PaulZo wrote:
Well I guess PC mag gave me some wrong info as far as the 3520A being different due to it being OEM. Well after my Lite On drive this one is pretty damn quiet. I didnt say it was "silent"
Hey I found this that makes you totally correct URmumsacow

http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/printable.asp?m=93724

Of course, in time you to will come to never doubt my optical media knowledge.

*kung-fu pose*


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:43 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:03 pm
Posts: 116
http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/printable.asp?m=93724

after reading some of this site, my head really hurts :cry:

i just purchased a 3520 oem from newegg, never had a cd or dvd burner before, so all this firmware stuff way over my head, i'm just trying to get some software to burn a cd with....

does all of this mean when i put the nec in my new computer i will not be able to burn dvd's????
what is firmware and what/how do i put this stuff into my burner????

man, i am really confused now :D


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:04 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:01 am
Posts: 8091
Relax, your burner will work no matter how many times you moveit from computer to computer.

Firmware really isn't something you need to worry too much about. Firmware is what drives the burner itself so to speak, it allows your burner to know what to do with the instructions it recieves from your computer.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:48 pm 
Team Member
Team Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:05 pm
Posts: 269
urmumsacow wrote:
One4yu2c wrote:
Try finding a retail 3500a - it's an oxymoron. :wink:

Oh don't you go injecting humor into this, you'll only make more peoples brains hurt.

There IS a retail version of the 3500. And there is also a retail version of the 3520. The thing is most of NEC's money comes from the OEM sales so the can be hard to track down.

PaulZo wrote:
Well I guess PC mag gave me some wrong info as far as the 3520A being different due to it being OEM. Well after my Lite On drive this one is pretty damn quiet. I didnt say it was "silent"
Hey I found this that makes you totally correct URmumsacow

http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/printable.asp?m=93724

Of course, in time you to will come to never doubt my optical media knowledge.

*kung-fu pose*


lol ! I like your brand of humility!!


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:17 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:03 pm
Posts: 116
hey urmumsacow.....


THANKS!!!! thought I had wasted my money on the oem nec :D

take it easy


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:26 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:01 am
Posts: 8091
PaulZo wrote:
lol ! I like your brand of humility!!

If you knew anything about kung-fu or my obsession with optical drives, you'd understand the jest for what it was :wink:


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:46 pm 
Team Member
Team Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:05 pm
Posts: 269
urmumsacow wrote:
PaulZo wrote:
lol ! I like your brand of humility!!

If you knew anything about kung-fu or my obsession with optical drives, you'd understand the jest for what it was :wink:


I was "jesting" also. Ive seen you here for quite a while and respect your experience. :)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:49 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:01 am
Posts: 8091
PaulZo wrote:
I was "jesting" also. Ive seen you here for quite a while and respect your experience. :)

You are too kind. Kind sir!


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:59 pm 
Team Member
Team Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:05 pm
Posts: 269
Must be that native american shaman I hang with is rubbing off.

**hands urmumsacow a hawk feather as a gift from the spirits** lol


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:35 pm 
Team Member
Team Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:50 pm
Posts: 1344
Location: Illinois
urmumsacow wrote:
3520A

agreed! I just got one, its nice!


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

© 2014 Future US, Inc. All rights reserved.