Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I'm constantly Hi-jacked!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:58 am 

Good Day PC Gurus! I have a few PC's I've worked on in the past that are constantly having the Internet Explorer browser hijacked to point to a res://[filename]... url. I've used Adaware and Spybot without any results or fixes and even run Panda and Norton AntiVirus programs without any results. I've changed the registry settings for "Internet Explorer-Main" and the "Current Version-Run" and "Current Version-Run Services" under both Local and Current User sections, investigated and repaired that MSCONFIG file, all to no avail. Everytime I think I have the system cleaned, everything comes back from soewhere. System Restore is turned off and the recycle bin and temp and temp internet folders and cache have been cleaned or turned off.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Trevor Styler, Your Hero
Captain Computer
www.captaincomputer.ca
yourhero@captaincomputer.ca

Post subject: Re: I'm constantly Hi-jacked!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:02 am 
Northwood
Northwood

seems like you've tried a lot already. perhaps it's time for a format and reinstall, and use prevention instead of solution the 2nd time around.

maybe stop using IE til SP2 is released.

Post subject: Re: I'm constantly Hi-jacked!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:48 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

CapnComp wrote:
Good Day PC Gurus! I have a few PC's I've worked on in the past that are constantly having the Internet Explorer browser hijacked to point to a res://[filename]... url. I've used Adaware and Spybot without any results or fixes and even run Panda and Norton AntiVirus programs without any results. I've changed the registry settings for "Internet Explorer-Main" and the "Current Version-Run" and "Current Version-Run Services" under both Local and Current User sections, investigated and repaired that MSCONFIG file, all to no avail. Everytime I think I have the system cleaned, everything comes back from soewhere. System Restore is turned off and the recycle bin and temp and temp internet folders and cache have been cleaned or turned off.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Trevor Styler, Your Hero
Captain Computer
www.captaincomputer.ca
yourhero@captaincomputer.ca

Have you tried CW Shredder? It might find and remove something. If that doesn't work, reinstall and use Firefox instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:57 am 
Northwood
Northwood

try downloading and installing a program called hijackthis. you can download it at www.majorgeeks.com run the program and see if you can get rid of it. be very careful though, if you delete something that is not suppose to be deleted your comp can get mess up.

also download a better antivirus like AVG which is way better than norton crap. good luck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:50 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

keymaker wrote:
try downloading and installing a program called hijackthis. you can download it at www.majorgeeks.com run the program and see if you can get rid of it. be very careful though, if you delete something that is not suppose to be deleted your comp can get mess up.

also download a better antivirus like AVG which is way better than norton crap. good luck!!

Norton is Fine - AVG is very good as well. I doubt AVG will catch his problem so there is no need to bash Norton (yet).

CWshredder
Hijackthis
and make sure the immunizer in Sbybot is on.
Switch to FireFox or another non-IE based browser and only use IE for updates and MS centric Sites (programmed by people who like to tell thier visitors how they should surf the web).
Make sure you have all updates from MS

Manta

Post subject: All excellent suggestions...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:10 am 

As for prevention... I'm not the one without diligence, it's a client. second, I have used Hijackthis... same results. as for CWShredder? I'll give that a try.

Thanks for feedback

Post subject: Re: All excellent suggestions...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:12 am 
Northwood
Northwood

CapnComp wrote:
As for prevention... I'm not the one without diligence, it's a client. second, I have used Hijackthis... same results. as for CWShredder? I'll give that a try.

Thanks for feedback

if it's a client i'd force them to stop using IE, unless of course you get paid per incident, then more money to you. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:19 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

when your browser is hijacked, none of these adaware, spybot, norton AV, or AVG do squat...

you can only rely on CWShredder... and hijack this, which may require a little more work...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:43 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

CapnComp wrote:

Thanks for feedback

Try running smartscan in Ad-Aware it scans all running process and will find programs currently in memory. It found things for me that the normal scan did not find.

Also try Spy Sweeper from www.webroot.com. It is only good for one update of signature file but is a good program none the less. It finds things that Spybot and Ad-Aware do not find.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:04 pm 
Folding Master (Top-ranked)
Folding Master (Top-ranked)

CapnComp wrote:

Thanks for feedback

Though it didn't cure my problem I had the trojan that was ailing the computer identified by AVG. That one was called downloader.agent.ba. I was unable to fix it. But I read on the other maximunpc forum the other day that someone had fixed their computer with the same trojan without reloading.